X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 17-18 - thread El Segundo

Originally posted by Tater View Post
    LOL come on guys.

So this team that is top 20 in the Pairwise and 5 games above .500 is worse than:

2001 team that was 14-20-3
    2004 team that was 12-17-9
    2008 team that was 19-17-4
    2010 team that was 18-17-3
    2014 team that was 10-21-4

I didn't say they were the worst team ever but the 07-08 and 09-10 teams were definitely better hockey teams. Don't forget they played in a much better conference than this team is playing in.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      Coach says hi.

So do we sweep them tomorrow or does it go 3 games?
      What does this mean? That because they managed to beat a ****ty UConn team in OT that somehow the previous two and a half hours of utter and absolute **** doesn't matter?

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        I didn't say they were the worst team ever but the 07-08 and 09-10 teams were definitely better hockey teams. Don't forget they played in a much better conference than this team is playing in.
        No, Jofa did. There are a couple of teams there that an argument could be made about, but that group of teams shows that saying this is the worst BU team since 2000 out of hand is wrong. It looks like even you think at least three of them were worse teams. I wouldn’t say those other two were “definitely “ better, just that an argument could be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
          Expectations matter.
          The 09-10 team with Bonino, Shattenkirk, Chiasson, Gryba, Cohen, Warsofsky and Saponari among others was a far more underperforming team based on expectations than this one. Just because a bunch of polls inexplicably ranked this squad as #2 in the country coming into this year doesn't mean that's the bar for what the expectations of that team should be. This team "should've" been somewhere in the 11-13 PWR range, make the tournament as a low 3/high 4 and maybe win a game in the tournament. They've certainly underperformed that bar, but not astronomically. The 09-10 team was full of proven stars at the collegiate level. Maybe that team shouldn't have been expected to win it all, but a top-8 PWR finish and a legit run at the Frozen Four was a reasonable expectation with that roster, and they finished 23 in PWR - an enormous underperformance.

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
          Hockey East got three teams into the NCAAs in 09-10, with UVM barely sneaking in. BC was the only legitimate national contender that year. UNH was 17-13. The BU team, with 7 guys who'd go on to play in the NHL and more who'd just run roughshod over the entire country the year before, finished one game above .500.

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          Yeah, you beat me to it. A better word (as opposed to "bad") might have been "underachieving." You have to give them credit for coming back tonight and showing some determination. I think, though, that given the purported talent level, people are surprised that everything is this difficult. I'll leave it to others to speculate why that may be...
          I think the key word here is "purported." We don't have as much proven talent, and that's the problem. With the crop of hot shot new kids that come in each year it leads to the pundits proclaiming that BU is the best thing in the world when many of the impact players have never played a collegiate game. This is a both a problem of BU's high roster turnover rate and these pundits not accurately understanding the impact a freshman can have on a national level. Only Eichel and Keller were freshman who made BU significantly better than if they weren't there. The rest were...freshmen. Some good, some underwhelming. I suspect had JFK stayed for his junior year this team would be in a very different predicament and solidly in the NCAA tournament.
          Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-10-2018, 12:06 AM.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I'd say since 2000 the worst teams are as follows:

Biggest Underachievers: 2009-2010

Overall Worst Team: 2013-2014

Dishonorable Mention: 2000-2001, 2003-2004

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              The 4th line is scoring a goal this weekend. BOOK IT! #HotTake
              Not tonight.

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              I'd love to see a line-break down on goals scored. Has the 4th line even scored this season?
              Goals by line:
              2017-18, 35 games
              1st - 32
              2nd - 40
              3rd - 8
              4th - 4
              For comparison
              2016-17, 39 games
              1st - 38
              2nd - 40
              3rd - 14
              4th - 5
              2015-16, 39 games
              1st - 34
              2nd - 33
              3rd - 18
              4th - 10
              2014-15, 41 games
              1st - 75
              2nd - 33
              3rd - 20
              4th - 6
              2013-14, 35 games
              1st - 26
              2nd - 23
              3rd - 13
              4th - 4
              Average/Season 2000-01 thru 2017-18
              1st - 40
              2nd - 34
              3rd - 19
              4th - 9

The caveat is that powerplay and shorthanded goals are credited to the normal line a player played on, even if the powerplay and penalty kill units were formed from different lines

There was also talk earlier in the season about the number of line combinations Coach Quinn had used. After 35 games the minimum number of line combinations is 4 and the theoretical maximum is 140. Coach Quinn has used 65 line combinations. For comparison:
              2016-17 - 67 combinations
              2015-16 - 46 combinations
              2014-15 - 36 combinations
              2013-14 - 58 combinations
              Average/Season 2000-01 thru 2017-18 - 35 combinations

The most combinations Coach Parker used since the start of Hockey East in 1984 was 54 in 2009-10 and the least was just 24 in 2012-13.

Sean
              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-10-2018, 12:29 AM.
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                Not tonight.
                They didn't score but skated hard and generated a bunch of good chances. I hope he keeps that line together tomorrow.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

On the first UConn goal, BU beefed that the original shot hit the netting? What did the replay show? Was there something else involved?
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                    On the first UConn goal, BU beefed that the original shot hit the netting? What did the replay show? Was there something else involved?
                    The puck absolutely went into the net about 30 seconds before UConn scored on the other end. Every fan on that side of the rink saw it and yelled that play hadn't stopped. Heck, even the band started playing because they assumed there would be a stoppage. The players on the bench saw it as well. So it goes.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      The puck absolutely went into the net about 30 seconds before UConn scored on the other end. Every fan on that side of the rink saw it and yelled that play hadn't stopped. Heck, even the band started playing because they assumed there would be a stoppage. The players on the bench saw it as well. So it goes.
                      Wait...clarify this. I was trying to figure out what happened here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Wait...clarify this. I was trying to figure out what happened here.
                        Before UConn scored their first goal, BU was in the UConn defensive zone and took a shot on net. It hit something in front and pinballed around out of sight of everyone, it then inexplicably dropped to the ice over to Huska's right by the boards. A UConn forward took the puck and left the zone. About two seconds later the band started playing and a bunch of fans in the corner stood up complaining why play was still going on. I looked up and saw what appeared to be the net moving, coupled with the band playing and fans nearby pointing at the net, as well as a few BU players on the bench making the same motion made it pretty clear that the puck was out of play. There was no other plausible explanation for how the puck got there as there was no sound of it hitting the boards or glass. UConn came down on the ensuing play and scored. Bobo immediately went to the official and complained, pointed at the netting, but nothing happened as that play is unreviewable.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          Before UConn scored their first goal, BU was in the UConn defensive zone and took a shot on net. It hit something in front and pinballed around out of sight of everyone, it then inexplicably dropped to the ice over to Huska's right by the boards. A UConn forward took the puck and left the zone. About two seconds later the band started playing and a bunch of fans in the corner stood up complaining why play was still going on. I looked up and saw what appeared to be the net moving, coupled with the band playing and fans nearby pointing at the net, as well as a few BU players on the bench making the same motion made it pretty clear that the puck was out of play. There was no other plausible explanation for how the puck got there as there was no sound of it hitting the boards or glass. UConn came down on the ensuing play and scored. Bobo immediately went to the official and complained, pointed at the netting, but nothing happened as that play is unreviewable.
                          Ah, OK. I was wondering to what everyone was pointing, and assumed it was that when it happened down the other end and fans mock cheered. Your previous post kinda made it seem to me like BU scored and I was like, wait, what? Heh. Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            Not tonight.

Goals by line:
                            2017-18, 35 games
                            1st - 32
                            2nd - 40
                            3rd - 8
                            4th - 4
                            8 and 4. Oooof. That's brutal.

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

2014-15, 41 games
                            1st - 75
                            2nd - 33
                            3rd - 20
                            4th - 6
                            75 freakin' goals. Man, that first line was fun to watch. 20 outta the 3rd ain't bad either. If only our goalie...

I would love to see the 1991 or 1995 #'s.

Thanks for the post Sean. Curry scores tonight!
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Diffley in for MacLeod only lineup change tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                                I meant 2001 as worst team I mixed up DiPietro season. I didn’t realize 2014 had only 10 wins that’s hard to believe

Comment

Working...
                                X