This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Well, I was going to say "I understand" but you would immediately reply with "NO YOU DON'T!" Like my parents used to do, so I'll refrain. Anyway, fair enough.
    You're right...no you don't haha. No biggie you get used to it ho hum. I was just starting to follow UNH when BU had their down year back in 13-14...and then came the Eichel year so there's that. (UNH did beat BU at home that year tho). Will be rooting for BU in the night cap so good luck!'
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017 Off-season: The Clash Question

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      UNH fans invest a boatload of time money and effort
      HA.... really?!
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        HA.... really?!
        Yeah Nick...there are quite a few who do still travel and support the team. Hard to believe I know.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

You missed the point as usual.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            You're right...no you don't haha. No biggie you get used to it ho hum. I was just starting to follow UNH when BU had their down year back in 13-14...and then came the Eichel year so there's that. (UNH did beat BU at home that year tho). Will be rooting for BU in the night cap so good luck!'
            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Meanwhile Mike McShane is going for his fourth or fifth(lost count) NC at Norwich tomorrow night. Same age as Umile or even a year older. Exception to the theory that coaching is a young man's game I guess!
              Isn't McShane the guy who gave Umile his first D-1 job as an assistant at Providence in the '80's?

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Just seemed to me that the vitriol has increased slightly since the "announcement"
              I don't want to speak for others ... but I know I wanted to wait and see what happened first before pushing the "vitriol" button. I made the case for there never being a more opportune (and less expensive) time to buy him out of the final year of his contract. It turned out Coach obviously wasn't going to walk away of his own volition - or at least positioned himself that way, so as not to forfeit what was owed him on Year 3 of the Incredible Shrinking Lifetime Contract - which left the ball in our uber-experienced AD's court. But just like his paisan HC, he choked when his spotlight moment arrived.

True story ... my wife barely follows UNH Hockey, and what she gets is probably from myself and the kids talking about it when we're together (they're both UNH grads and adults now - one is married even). She "broke" the news to me on Wednesday, and asked what I thought was a very perceptive question (quoted almost verbatim) ...

"Does Mike Souza really need 3 years of practice to take over the job?"

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                In all seriousness, Chickod, let me know how you think you and other BU fans would have acted if the BU admin had not acted in the best interests of the program and instead let Parker set his retirement date (at least 3 more seasons down the road) and pick his own (inexperienced) successor...
                How on earth is David Quinn "inexperienced" in coaching? He was Parker's Associate head Coach. He was also an assistant coach at Northeastern, University of Nebraska-Omaha and was head coach of the U17 team. I think that's a solid resume. How experienced is Mike Souza?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  How on earth is David Quinn "inexperienced" in coaching? He was Parker's Associate head Coach. He was also an assistant coach at Northeastern, University of Nebraska-Omaha and was head coach of the U17 team. I think that's a solid resume. How experienced is Mike Souza?
                  I agree. Quinn has a lot of experience and Souza has little. That's why I said exactly that...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Wow, after your response to my post in the BU vs NU QF thread and this quoted gem, I've learned you are really bad with reading comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      "Does Mike Souza really need 3 years of practice to take over the job?"
                      Practice = experience. What's the problem?

Waiting on Nick to tell 'ref how she missed the point as usual.

Compelling reading here on the UNH thread name is passe forum.

Go UML.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                        Wow, after your response to my post in the BU vs NU QF thread and this quoted gem, I've learned you are really bad with reading comprehension.
                        I read too fast, admittedly so, but in your case, not one of your posts on these boards indicated to me that the post I commented on was anything less than serious and a dig at the team and Quinn. Apologies for not noting the sarcasm and humor. It's so rare from you! You should do it more often.

Apologies to you as well Dan. I tend to skim more often then not and given the posts responding to chickod that initiated the conversation, I hope you can see why I thought you were calling out Quinn as inexperienced.

Any. Way. Topic? Do you guys think Umile's ego had something to do with this in that he's looking to be recognized throughout the season with a "good bye tour?" Regardless if there are increased win totals next year, he'll be the senior, long time coach, calling it a career instead of stepping down after that loss to UML. This way he pretty much controls the narrative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          Practice = experience. What's the problem?

Waiting on Nick to tell 'ref how she missed the point as usual.

Compelling reading here on the UNH thread name is passe forum.

Go UML.
                          Am here waiting for the games to begin. Go UML. Said with minimal enthusiasm but given the circumstances...Did Nick say something? I must've been doing my nails or something 🙄
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            Umile stumbled into his success. He literally inherited Kullen's 87 and 88 classes that produced 8 quality players (Winnes, Dean, Plavsic, McIntyre, Amodeo, Flanagan, Mitrovic, and Scott Morrow) and were the core as the program went from 7 wins to the 92 NCAAs. His own 89, 90 and 91 classes were pretty weak, complimentary parts to that 92 NCAA team. When Kullen's kids graduated, Umile's own recruits were inadequate, and the team slipped back to 18 wins in 93. Thankfully in 92 he got McCloskey, who then produced the next wave of kids who formed the core of the 94 to 02 run, starting with Bogi, Nolan and Murray in 93-94, and Mowers, Nikulas.

Essentially, Umile walked into a super situation, nearly killed it, then got lucky McCloskey came along. When he no longer could piggy-back off of the work of his assistants, his success ceased. You can understand the Borek supporters' lament that Borek -- for all of his own flaws -- really was asked to do too much on his own while burdened by Umile.

Now, managing this by delegating is not as easy as I make it sound, but Umile ultimately bears the burden of not having done enough to help during the good times to put them over the top, and not doing enough during the bad times to prevent the slide. That will be his legacy -- just enough to fall short.
                            This! Exactly!! I think that you and E.J. are the only ones here who get it. I never liked DU's on-ice coaching, from his irritating and usually poorly timed whistles for line changes, to his inability to make adjustments between periods when getting out-coached by those with inferior talented players, to allowing his players to sit back on leads back in the day. This poor coaching during regular season after regular season anways caught up with him in the post-season, such as his holding one of his three forwards back the entire NC game in Buffalo, to letting the RIT Tigers take over the regionals game in Albany that should have been an automatic trip to the FF after his team dispatched Cornell. I could go on and on and on, but typing on iPhone is too big a pain.
                            Last edited by Snively65; 03-17-2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

NIIC draws first blood ...annnddd UML promptly ties it!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Petersen wants that one back..
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X