Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Great to see the team in action live for the first time in many years this weekend. It still seems surreal to have done so down here in the desert...

Hats off to the Alumni Association for putting together a very classy post game meet and greet at the Marriott after game 1. The AD and Seth made some nice speeches and Jimmy D spoke on behalf of the team. He expressed in words what I could see on EVERY players' face when they walked into the room. They are deeply disappointed in the current state of the team. There were no smiles, no joking around, just quiet chatting with the parents and fans - but you could feel how painful it was for them to leave the rink after a loss, shower up and put on suits, and having to face the crowd (and it was a crowd, btw, - great turnout at both games). I really feel for these kids - I was just a frustrated alumni and fan before this, but after sitting down with the players and talking to them for a while, you can really see how devastated they are and how much they want things to turn around

They put together a better effort in Game 2, and the results showed that. I'd say something cheesy about playing in Phoenix and rising from the ashes, but meh...

LET'S GO RED

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
      Great to see the team in action live for the first time in many years this weekend. It still seems surreal to have done so down here in the desert...

Hats off to the Alumni Association for putting together a very classy post game meet and greet at the Marriott after game 1. The AD and Seth made some nice speeches and Jimmy D spoke on behalf of the team. He expressed in words what I could see on EVERY players' face when they walked into the room. They are deeply disappointed in the current state of the team. There were no smiles, no joking around, just quiet chatting with the parents and fans - but you could feel how painful it was for them to leave the rink after a loss, shower up and put on suits, and having to face the crowd (and it was a crowd, btw, - great turnout at both games). I really feel for these kids - I was just a frustrated alumni and fan before this, but after sitting down with the players and talking to them for a while, you can really see how devastated they are and how much they want things to turn around

They put together a better effort in Game 2, and the results showed that. I'd say something cheesy about playing in Phoenix and rising from the ashes, but meh...

LET'S GO RED
      Thanks for that post, as fans, we forget that these guys are human and they feel the losses at least as much as we do.
      Over the years I have had the opportunity to talk with some of the players, coaches and even parents, and I have yet to meet anyone connected to the program who wasn't first rate.
      The wins and losses may not show it, but we have a first rate program.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        Thanks for that post, as fans, we forget that these guys are human and they feel the losses at least as much as we do.
        Over the years I have had the opportunity to talk with some of the players, coaches and even parents, and I have yet to meet anyone connected to the program who wasn't first rate.
        The wins and losses may not show it, but we have a first rate program.
        So sick of hearing this crap, like the kids at the other programs in the ECAC are not first rate. This program has been driven into the "who cares about RPI hockey stage". Clarkson and St Lawrence weekend draws less than 6,000 fans. Just look at the amount of posters gone from here. Some could say its because of a certain poster but I'm not buying it. The hockey we are witnessing stinks regardless of the integrity and class of the student athletes on this team. There used to be a point in time where I would not miss an RPI game and now I'm happy to get there when there is nothing better to do. We were 14 season ticket holders from the late 70's down to none for this current season.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
          So sick of hearing this crap, like the kids at the other programs in the ECAC are not first rate. This program has been driven into the "who cares about RPI hockey stage". Clarkson and St Lawrence weekend draws less than 6,000 fans. Just look at the amount of posters gone from here. Some could say its because of a certain poster but I'm not buying it. The hockey we are witnessing stinks regardless of the integrity and class of the student athletes on this team. There used to be a point in time where I would not miss an RPI game and now I'm happy to get there when there is nothing better to do. We were 14 season ticket holders from the late 70's down to none for this current season.
          Agreed. One less season tix holder come next season here.
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I personally know of two RPI posters who stopped participating because this board isn't necessarily the most female-friendly and they were made uncomfortable. They're still huge RPI hockey fans, but they don't feel the urge to come here and discuss it. Just something to think about.
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I'll probably still go to Colgate/Cornell, MAYBE SLU (weather depending), but the trips to Troy and elsewhere are definitely limited. Sure, we can say that the kids don't deserve to be given up on, but unless we see some sort of step-up, it's not looking too good.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I personally know of two RPI posters who stopped participating because this board isn't necessarily the most female-friendly and they were made uncomfortable. They're still huge RPI hockey fans, but they don't feel the urge to come here and discuss it. Just something to think about.
                Nothing to think about. I know triple that amount not posting due to lack of interest in the program.

Comment

With a lot of those blaming posters, they're basically trying to say "all is well" and squash anyone who makes a "negative Nancy" post, similar to other message groups. Personally, I'll post in the good and the bad times, and for the time being, I'm not going to miss a game (much to the chagrin of those that hate smilies ). Call it masochism if you wish, hopefully there can be some improvements, and I'll be as constructive as possible on here, as I'm sure others will be.

You are absolutely correct about players being first rate. NCAA ice hockey has one of the highest GPA rates across all of athletics, and the character of an overwhelming majority of ice hockey student-athletes is incredible (every rose has its thorn, so the few are a wash). I don't think anyone who has more than a fart for a brain would believe that a particular team isn't first rate; perhaps a poor assumption of a negative case was had here.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Just curious, is present-day RPI itself regarded as female-friendly?
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Nothing to think about. I know triple that amount not posting due to lack of interest in the program.
                      Is it lack of interest or disgust with the result and lack of evidence of improvement on the horizon?
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Is it lack of interest or disgust with the result and lack of evidence of improvement on the horizon?
                        I think the results with no change in sight have led to the lack of interest. Everyone loves a winner but not being entertaining or enjoyable is going to cost you fans. The faces have changed over the last decade but the style of play and tempo have not. If it wasn't for some above average to excellent goaltending, the results over that time period would even be more dismal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Sorry to hear that. Just curious, is present-day RPI itself regarded as female-friendly?
                          I mean I haven't been on campus other than 5 or 6 hockey weekends a year since 2013, so I can't really speak to how it is now. I think RPI is big enough that you can choose your friends and who you interact with outside of class, so it's as welcoming as you make it.
                          RPI Pep Band
                          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I mean I haven't been on campus other than 5 or 6 hockey weekends a year since 2013, so I can't really speak to how it is now. I think RPI is big enough that you can choose your friends and who you interact with outside of class, so it's as welcoming as you make it.
                            I remember when I was there (not too long before you), there was the perception of "R.I.B.S." (I'll assume you've heard of it; definition by PM if you haven't in order to honor your request) which may have something to do with it. Couple that with this being a sports forum with that gender stigma, along with a severe lack of moderation on this forum (even if just to clear out the spambots), and I can completely understand why they wouldn't want to set browser here.

Comment

I think the results with no change in sight have led to the lack of interest. Everyone loves a winner but not being entertaining or enjoyable is going to cost you fans. The faces have changed over the last decade but the style of play and tempo have not. If it wasn't for some above average to excellent goaltending, the results over that time period would even be more dismal.
                              Unfortunately, one little glimpse of something good, and the staff is the greatest thing since sliced bread, thereby given a huge extension. We're paying for that now. Watch things "get better" when the contract's up...

Comment

To those of us who graduated in the 1960s, 2013 is present day.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X