X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    From people I know in Milwaukee this shooting, while causing similar unrest as other well-known recent police killings of black men, is different in a number of important ways. One, the cop who shot him is also black, so the racial aspects have to be looked at very carefully. Racism is probably not a factor as we might normally think. Two, the dead suspect clearly was armed with a loaded semi-auto handgun that was stolen (along with hundreds of rounds of ammo). Three, he was charged within the last year in a shooting and separately charged with trying to intimidate a witness in that shooting. I believe that the cops involved in this (at least some of them) knew who this guy was and knew of his gun crimes.

Anybody who has read my blather in this or similar threads knows I don't hold law enforcement in the highest regard in 2016, but this shooting looks to me (albeit with the limited knowledge I and all of you have) like it was probably unavoidable given the circumstances and due almost entirely to the behavior of the victim. While still tragic, it looks like this one is not criminal.
    Correction: The criminal behavior was not wearing the badge. (The guy had a stolen gun.)
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

From people I know in Milwaukee this shooting, while causing similar unrest as other well-known recent police killings of black men, is different in a number of important ways. One, the cop who shot him is also black, so the racial aspects have to be looked at very carefully. Racism is probably not a factor as we might normally think. Two, the dead suspect clearly was armed with a loaded semi-auto handgun that was stolen (along with hundreds of rounds of ammo). Three, he was charged within the last year in a shooting and separately charged with trying to intimidate a witness in that shooting. I believe that the cops involved in this (at least some of them) knew who this guy was and knew of his gun crimes.

Anybody who has read my blather in this or similar threads knows I don't hold law enforcement in the highest regard in 2016, but this shooting looks to me (albeit with the limited knowledge I and all of you have) like it was probably unavoidable given the circumstances and due almost entirely to the behavior of the victim. While still tragic, it looks like this one is not criminal.
      Based on what we know, it does appear that this is a situation where lethal force seems (at the very least) possibly warranted, and I agree with almost everything in your post.

But, I do have to raise issue with the bolded part. Time and again it has been empirically shown that the race (and I use that word recognizing the biological inaccuracy of it) of law enforcement officers does not affect the way in which black Americans are subjected to different treatment by law enforcement officers, or similarly by prosecutors or officers of the court. This is what is meant by institutional racism.
      It is a faulty way of thinking to look at the instance in Falcon Heights, MN or Baltimore or any of the countless other examples we have and simply say "well that cop hated black people" (or to try to argue against that point in an attempt to vindicate the officer). That's a misunderstanding (or misrepresentation) of the core issue.

EDIT: not that I am saying you misunderstand the issue, as you do seem to allude to the idea by saying this is not a case of race "as we might normally think." I just think this is an important point to emphasize.
      Last edited by Stauber1; 08-15-2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        EDIT: not that I am saying you misunderstand the issue, as you do seem to allude to the idea by saying this is not a case of race "as we might normally think." I just think this is an important point to emphasize.
        You are correct on both points in your edit. I did mean allude to what you've noted, and it is definitely an important point to emphasize.

Comment

I can't say I disagree with any of this but the reason for rioting goes well beyond this particular shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            I can't say I disagree with any of this but the reason for rioting goes well beyond this particular shooting.
            Of course it does. If not, there would be riots nightly in this country. Police shootings are often the flashpoint occurrence in a tinderbox that's waiting to explode.

Comment

Where is this in the Black Lives Matters mission statement?

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                Where is this in the Black Lives Matters mission statement?
                Who would have thought, the solution to all their woes is to round up the rich people, take all their money, and give it to the "black community." What a visionary!

Comment

Guy is more coherent than GWB
                  Last edited by trixR4kids; 08-16-2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
                    Who would have thought, the solution to all their woes is to round up the rich people, take all their money, and give it to the "black community." What a visionary!
                    To be fair, rounding up a group of people and stealing all the money they earned has undeniably worked out very well for white people.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

So the sister said to stop burning stuff down in the neighborhood and to take it to the suburbs.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        So the sister said to stop burning stuff down in the neighborhood and to take it to the suburbs.
                        I saw that video clip the other day, too. It's remarkable how the news orgs spun her statement as a blanket call for peace.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                          To be fair, rounding up a group of people and stealing all the money they earned has undeniably worked out very well for white people.
                          You're on quite the roll lately. Although all your posts do is lead me to believe that in high school you were unanimously voted "Talks the most, says the least" in your graduating class. You're clearly going for some sort of record for most posts done without actually contributing anything of value to the conversations at hand.

Comment

You're clearly going for some sort of record for most posts done without actually contributing anything of value to the conversations at hand.
                            Your only contribution was a shockingly tone-deaf(at best) flip comment that I assume was intended to be mocked. I was only doing you a favor by doing so.
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

A move straight out of Jessie Jackson Sr. and Al Sharpton's playbook!

I had no idea the Rainbow Coalition was driving the BLM movement!
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

You're on quite the roll lately. Although all your posts do is lead me to believe that in high school you were unanimously voted "Talks the most, says the least" in your graduating class. You're clearly going for some sort of record for most posts done without actually contributing anything of value to the conversations at hand.
                                IIRC, he's a Mankato grad who cheers for Meeeechigan and writes a blog - what do you expect?

Comment

Working...
                                X