Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D1/D2 scheduling alliance for 2017-18

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
    St. A's and St. Michael's and Franklin Pierce have not, to my knowledge, notified the NCAA of an intention to compete under D-I rules and offer D-I scholarships, as, for instance, a few men's teams like AIC and Bentley do.
    That's the thing though, they don't have to. They're D-II teams, not D-I. And our tournament is specifically a D-I/D-II combined tournament. It's just dumb that they have them combined in the first place.

In your mind, purely as a hypothetical, what do the D-II teams need to do to qualify for the D-I/D-II national tournament?
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Do you think that ANY of the D-2 schools would be competitive with the D-I? If not, then what's the point. If you do, while I admire the spirit, I'd say that it is misplaced. No D-II school is going to be competitive with the men's D-I programs, nor will schools like St. A's or Franklin Pierce do well against a Clarkson or Boston College. The national tournament is meant to showcase the best teams.

Regardless, this is all academic, because none of the D-II schools will be competing in the NCAA D-I tournament in March.
      I will point out an obscure NCAA rule that permits a D2 conference to declare for the NCAA D1 tournament if there is no D2 championship in that sport. Thus, the NE-10 could declare they want to play in the D1 tournament and after 2 years, the NE-10 champ gets an auto-bid. Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth over that one!! But the likelihood of that happening equal the odds of free and open elections in North Korea.

Further, the MEAC and SWAC get invited to the basketball tournament. There are tons of schools better than those 2, but they get a shot.

And up until a few years ago, I'd argue that some of the D2s and upper D3s may have given Union a run.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        And up until a few years ago, I'd argue that some of the D2s and upper D3s may have given Union a run.
        The year that Robert Morris upset Minnesota, the Colonials lost a game to Sacred Heart. RMU also won three games from SHU that season by a 27-3 composite, but that's hockey for you if a team decides to sit it's franchise goalie in a game that really doesn't mean anything to it.

Grant is right that the ultimate problem is that the PWR is so lousy that it constantly needs new patches because it has such trouble figuring out which teams are better than the others. But if you give a committee made up of a representative from each of four conferences wiggle room as to when to apply the formula and when to use something more subjective, why would they say, "What the NCAA Tournament really needs is Saint Anselm!" Because there would be some sense of obligation to include a "deserving" team in the field? I don't think so.

I don't think that there is any mystery here. But if Geraldo can stage an opening of Al Capone's vault, it is certainly within Grant's rights to write this story. I think we agree that there isn't much of a story here, but it is his call. Given all of the NCAA prediction columns he's given us over the years (BC >>>>> than everyone else), it isn't like this is a travesty in comparison.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          That's the thing though, they don't have to. They're D-II teams, not D-I. And our tournament is specifically a D-I/D-II combined tournament. It's just dumb that they have them combined in the first place.

In your mind, purely as a hypothetical, what do the D-II teams need to do to qualify for the D-I/D-II national tournament?
          Play at least a third of their schedule against at least mid-tier D-I teams, the Bemidjis, Vermonts, and Yales, plus a handful of better D-I teams, like BU, Colgate, OSU this year or UND in the past, and win at least 2/3rds of them. Then we can talk.
          "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Picky point. You don't need a D1 schedule to qualify. You need 20 games vs. D1 or D2 schools to qualify.

If the committee wants to disparage D2, then make it a D1 only tournament and F the D2s over like they do to the men.
            I don't think there's any doubt the D2 schools don't stand a chance of ever qualifying for the National Collegiate tournament. It will always be a D1 tournament. To think otherwise is naïve.

Comment

Oh for ****'s sake Grant, I'm literally embarrassed for you that you actually posted that tripe. Take it down before you destroy any semblance of being an actual journalist.
              I agree with you on this... but that's primarily because he refers to Sarah Fraser by her her first name on subsequent references. The tone of her correspondence that he quotes does not seem to convey that he is likely on a first-name basis with her...

As for the content of his argument, I'm going to stay out of this debate.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                I agree with you on this... but that's primarily because he refers to Sarah Fraser by her her first name on subsequent references. The tone of her correspondence that he quotes does not seem to convey that he is likely on a first-name basis with her...
                Sorry, there was one instance of me referring her to as "Sarah." This was an oversight and has been corrected.

Comment

Sorry, there was one instance of me referring her to as "Sarah." This was an oversight and has been corrected.
                  I apologize. My post was intended to be joking in nature while pointing out a serious stylistic error. Upon further review, I sounded like a pretentious a-hole. Apologies.
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                    I apologize. My post was intended to be joking in nature while pointing out a serious stylistic error. Upon further review, I sounded like a pretentious a-hole. Apologies.
                    Don't worry I didn't think anything of it! I did fix it though so thanks haha

Comment

• Re: D1/D2 scheduling alliance for 2017-18

The NCAA NC hockey committee annual report.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...t_20170725.pdf
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I really wish they would just come up with some black and white criteria to meet. All they did was add subjectivity and continue to lack transparency. It kind of sucks.

Also I love how every year they look at the RPI and they're like:

Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 10-26-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

The NCAA NC hockey committee annual report.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...t_20170725.pdf
                          "The committee also determined that, beginning in 2017-18, to be eligible to host quarterfinal competition all hosts must secure hotels for the visiting team that are within 30 miles of the competition facility."

Are they trying to screw over Clarkson...?
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I really wish they would just come up with some black and white criteria to meet. All they did was add subjectivity and continue to lack transparency. It kind of sucks.
                            "In situations where a high-impact player is unavailable, the committee may consider this as part of its evaluation of the above criteria."

Wow, does that open the door of subjectivity....
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              "The committee also determined that, beginning in 2017-18, to be eligible to host quarterfinal competition all hosts must secure hotels for the visiting team that are within 30 miles of the competition facility."

Are they trying to screw over Clarkson...?
                              There isn't a hotel within 30 miles of the rink? How can Clarkson even be a D1 school? They should vacate their titles be switched to D3.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                "In situations where a high-impact player is unavailable, the committee may consider this as part of its evaluation of the above criteria."

Wow, does that open the door of subjectivity....
                                That's been there for years though. But I mean, even so, it's just one of the many ways there's unnecessary subjectivity in the selection.

By the way, what does that even mean? Does it mean if a good player was playing all year but then was injured, the committee can opt not to select them? Or does it mean that if a team played all season without its best player, but she came back before the tournament, they can opt to include a team that wasn't going to be selected otherwise?

Comment

Working...
                                X