Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East Tournament back to 8 teams for 2018/19

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

If it's the top six qualifying, there would be a good chance they'd all at least have winning records.
    That wouldn't have been true this past season.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
      That wouldn't have been true this past season.
      Seriously, and that’s all on hockey east at this point for not winning in non-conference. Considering how non-clutch the B10 has been we have collectively failed to cash in.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        Seriously, and that’s all on hockey east at this point for not winning in non-conference. Considering how non-clutch the B10 has been we have collectively failed to cash in.
        HEA teams also failed to cash in against Atlantic Hockey teams, such as UML vs Bentley, IIRC?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          HEA teams also failed to cash in against Atlantic Hockey teams, such as UML vs Bentley, IIRC?
          Hockey East had a down year by League standards...but they {HEA} will rebound back to a top Conference in the College Hockey world.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            Actually, the Top 4 were the only teams that finished above .500 in conference games alone.

At the end of the regular season, the Top 4 and one of the teams tied for 5th were above .500 overall, and the team in 7th was at exactly .500.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

When did I ever say we weren’t at fault?

This has been an issue for years and not just this year. This year we sucked. The end
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                Going back to 10 minute overtimes should reduce ties by about 20%.
                Want to fix the tie problem... only reward what you want:

win = 2 points
                tie = 0 points
                loss = 0 points

In that world nobody plays for the tie.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Just giving this one a bump before it falls off page two, as there are a couple of great ideas for decreasing the number of ties that may deserve further discussion......, or not?

Comment

I may very well be in the minority on this but I've never had a problem with regular season ties. IMO, it's in the nature of the game that, on a given night, one team may not be better than the other and a tie--with one standings point for each team--is the only fair outcome. That's why hockey uses standings points rather than the W L Pct format used by other sports. Shootouts, in my view, are anathema. They may provide good entertainment but it's not hockey. So kudos to the HEA leadership for holding the line.

All of that being said, I wouldn't object to extending regular season OT to 10 minutes.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Just giving this one a bump before it falls off page two, as there are a couple of great ideas for decreasing the number of ties that may deserve further discussion......, or not?
                      I actually like ties. If neither team does enough to win that is how the game should end. I’d be okay with not even having an OT. The only potential change I would make is giving three points for a win.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        That's why hockey uses standings points rather than the W L Pct format used by other sports.
                        the traditional 2-1-0 point system is functionally the same as winning percentage, since ties are considered half a win when calculating winning percentage.

Anyway, ties are fine. I don't get why people get upset at the mere idea of ties in a low-scoring sport.

Comment

I have no issues with ties in regular season games and a shootout does not appeal to me at all.

That said it appears that all/virtually all junior leagues that most college players come from have OT as 5min of 3v3 followed by a shootout, as do all/virtually all pro leagues that college players leave for. So if this is where all major North American hockey is going, besides the eastern half of college hockey, it seems to me that we should be playing the same game as every other relevant league.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                            I have no issues with ties in regular season games and a shootout does not appeal to me at all.

That said it appears that all/virtually all junior leagues that most college players come from have OT as 5min of 3v3 followed by a shootout, as do all/virtually all pro leagues that college players leave for. So if this is where all major North American hockey is going, besides the eastern half of college hockey, it seems to me that we should be playing the same game as every other relevant league.
                            PWR is your answer. You have to be able to compare Harvards to Omahas via a level playing field.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              PWR is your answer. You have to be able to compare Harvards to Omahas via a level playing field.
                              An OT win should have to be worth less than a regulation win in PWR, probably 60-75%, with the OT loser getting the remaining 25-40%, or 50% if you want to give the loser credit for the regulation tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post

Shootouts and 3 on 3 are terrible ways to end games. Ties aren't a horrible thing people.
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X