Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Big Question of the Week - Are we actually cheering for NMU (playing MSU) this coming weekend so we can lock up the #2 seed? Cheering for NMU seems sick in my mind, but I really don't want that going down to the final weekend. Tech (51 pts) needs MSU (42 pts) to gain 2 or less points this weekend to lock up the #2 seed as MSU holds the head-to-head tiebreaker with Tech. Even if NMU gains 4 pts this weekend, they could still miss the playoffs if Tech sweeps them and other teams win their games. So we could "thank" the Wildcats by potentially ending their season.
    Ryan
    IMO we're best off if NMU sweeps next weekend. But, the way Tech has been playing the last few weeks, it isn't going to matter.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

It would be a huge benefit to get second, so yeah , I'm rooting for NMU, but realistically I expect a split in both series.
      However, other than that, what I hope to have happen is we get back to improving our game. To me that's the most important thing. If we are going to get very far in the post season we have to get better in some areas. I think it's possible too, especially if we have an extended time at home.Heck I'd be happy if we could just stop the easy goals the other team gets. I think we would have won maybe 5 more games if they had to earn their goals.
      Last edited by manurespreader; 02-13-2017, 09:09 AM.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        It would be a huge benefit to get second, so yeah , I'm rooting for NMU, but realistically I expect a split in both series.
        However, other than that, what I hope to have happen is we get back to improving our game. To me that's the most important thing. If we are going to get very far in the post season we have to get better in some areas. I think it's possible too, especially if we have an extended time at home.Heck I'd be happy if we could just stop the easy goals the other team gets. I think we would have won maybe 5 more games if they had to earn their goals.
        Is there something wrong with my math? Don't we clinch #2 with a NMU/MSU split?
        MTU is 10 points up on MSU...nevermind USCHO sucks at counting our 3v3/SO results and we're only 9 points clear of MSU...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          we're only 9 points clear of MSU...
          Correct, currently Tech 51, MSU 42.
          If NMU's goaltending continues to be like is has been the last few weeks, I don't want NMU in the playoffs regardless of their seed.
          Ryan
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Correct, currently Tech 51, MSU 42.
            If NMU's goaltending continues to be like is has been the last few weeks, I don't want NMU in the playoffs regardless of their seed.
            Ryan
            The goaltending hasn't been the whole story. NMU's team defense in front of him has been tenacious and committed, and they have done a tremendous job in limiting Grade A scoring chances. It's been a remarkable job by all of them.

Be that as it may and as impressive as the shutout streak has been, let's keep in perspective that 3 of the 5 have come against UAA and UAF. The other two came against a schizophrenic BG team.

That being said, the Huskies have seen their own challenges in scoring.

I'm curious to watch the series against the Mavs.
            Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 02-15-2017, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
              The goaltending hasn't been the whole story. NMU's team defense in front of him has been tenacious and committed, and they have done a tremendous job in limiting Grade A scoring chances. It's been a remarkable job by all of them.

Be that as it may and as impressive as the shutout streak has been, let's keep in perspective that 4 of the 5 have come against UAA and UAF. The first one came against a schizophrenic BG team.

That being said, the Huskies have seen their own challenges in scoring.

I'm curious to watch the series against the Mavs.
              Minnesota St holds the tiebreaker over Tech. So any combination of 4 pts gained by Tech or lost by Minn St clinched second for Tech. If NMU wins one and takes the other to 3x3 or SO, 2nd belongs to Tech.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

For those that didn't listen to the Mel Pearson show, Joe Shawhan sat in as Mel was out. He comes across with great passion for the team/game of hockey. A couple questions related to Angus vs. Kero/Wintjes.

Dirk keeps asking about Steman, but could he be a redshirt or has be played too much this year? Even if he's healthy you'd think he'd redshirt if possible after missing so much of the year.

Joe Shawhan was in for Mel today:
                Dirk asked for any info on Steaman - Joe knew nothing. Both him and Baltus looked great Saturday morning. Just need to keep monitoring Steman.

Most important for Joe is the first round matchup
                Walt is a great friend of Joe, happy for their recent success at NMU

How do you keep Kero/Wintjes motivated with Angus having less than perfect performance on Friday then getting the Sat start?
                Joe takes Tony Dungy approach, not coaches job to motivate players, but sees the point of the question. We're working with those guys everyday, and they are working, have no problem putting any of the three in net.
                Thought maybe no Angus last Saturday, but can see that if Angus had sat, with the bye it would've been two weeks of stewing on a less than perfect game.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  For those that didn't listen to the Mel Pearson show, Joe Shawhan sat in as Mel was out. He comes across with great passion for the team/game of hockey. A couple questions related to Angus vs. Kero/Wintjes.

Dirk keeps asking about Steman, but could he be a redshirt or has be played too much this year? Even if he's healthy you'd think he'd redshirt if possible after missing so much of the year.
                  I'd have to dig deeper on the rules but its possible he could redshirt since he hasn't played in 2017. He did play in 12 games and I have a feeling thats a few too many to get a medical redshirt (without a fight).

EDIT: Ok game limit is 30% so MTU has to get to 40 games played for Steman to be able to medical redshirt. Looks like he'd be able to if thats what the team and Dyland decide...currently at 36 games, have NMU series and WCHA first round so they will play at least 40 games...
                  Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 02-15-2017, 10:46 AM.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'd have to dig deeper on the rules but its possible he could redshirt since he hasn't played in 2017. He did play in 12 games and I have a feeling thats a few too many to get a medical redshirt (without a fight).

EDIT: Ok game limit is 30% so MTU has to get to 40 games played for Steman to be able to medical redshirt. Looks like he'd be able to if thats what the team and Dyland decide...currently at 36 games, have NMU series and WCHA first round so they will play at least 40 games...
                    I'd do it if I were him. Kid's got a 4.0 in mechanical engineering. Stick around and get a master's degree.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                      I'd do it if I were him. Kid's got a 4.0 in mechanical engineering. Stick around and get a master's degree.
                      I remember having the redshirt question with Malcolm Gwilliam way back when...all he wanted to do was get on the ice and help his teammates "now." Obviously the decision to play isn't completely his with the injury but if he were to get cleared it would be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

My preference for Steman, like it actually matters, would be to see him sit out the rest of the year, get the medical red-shirt and come back for next year, his experience will be very helpful next year.
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                          That is impressive.
                          Go Huskies!

Comment

Big,,weekend,,for,,the,,Huskies,,and,,all,,we,,can ,,do,,is,,sit,,and,,watch.
                            Hopefully,,we,,have,,second,,round,,home,,ice,,loc ked,,up,,by,,Sunday.
                            Go,,Cats!

Anyone,,else,,think,,it,,is,,time,,for,,a,,new,,re gistration,,process,,for,,this,,message,,board?
                            Ryan,,J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I remember having the redshirt question with Malcolm Gwilliam way back when...all he wanted to do was get on the ice and help his teammates "now." Obviously the decision to play isn't completely his with the injury but if he were to get cleared it would be interesting to see how it plays out.
                              Malcolm Gwilliam is not way back when, Malcolm Gwilliam is the recent past. Now John Grisdale, Rob Murray, Steve Coates, Peter Lind, now that's way back when.

Comment

Very interesting to watch the PSU power play operate. Very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X