Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    Kippen Keller was fabulous, creating the first goal with hustle to negate an icing and then finding Agnew with a pass from below the goal line (though the Badger defense probably won't want to watch the film either of Keller working free down there or of Agnew finding so much empty space).
    It was actually a shot off of Campbell's pads.

Sophie Skarzynski had another good game, though her goal was really a gift from Campbell.
    You're not being fair to Sophie or Campbell. It was a one-timed shot off of a pass across the ice that went in just under the bar. There's a reason teams try to get goalies moving side to side -- it's a lot harder for them to stop every shot when they aren't set. She also had to worry about another forward (Wente?) coming down the middle who could have conceivably received the pass. The surprise for me wasn't that Campbell didn't stop it, but that a converted D/F/D/F/D could put the shot where she did.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      You're not being fair to Sophie or Campbell. It was a one-timed shot off of a pass across the ice that went in just under the bar. There's a reason teams try to get goalies moving side to side -- it's a lot harder for them to stop every shot when they aren't set. She also had to worry about another forward (Wente?) coming down the middle who could have conceivably received the pass. The surprise for me wasn't that Campbell didn't stop it, but that a converted D/F/D/F/D could put the shot where she did.
      I was at the other end of the ice, and didn't have as good a view of the shot, so I'll reassess. I thought Campbell reacted kind of strangely, with sort of a hop, which was the primary basis for my statement.

Comment

Well, on the plus side they now sell Drew's popcorn not only at Mariucci but at Ridder Arena as well. And even the hot chocolate seems to be improving.

Despite losing both games I feel the Gophers are definitely improving from their first few games of the season. They played hard today, but some of the players seemed to run out of gas in the 3rd period. Didn't notice the 4th line out there at all.

A fluky goal yesterday and one today in overtime were the difference. They were both fun games to watch. Hopefully, like the hot chocolate and the players the referees will also improve at least somewhat as the season progresses. They certainly have room for it.
        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-29-2017, 10:11 PM. Reason: Miss Langer's English class
        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
          A fluky goal yesterday and one today in overtime were the difference.
          Although when you're able to keep the puck in your opponent's end for such long stretches of time, "fluky goals" are sure to materialize eventually. But at least both winning goals for the Badgers today were pretty plays that would have been scored against most every team. I would, however, love to see a replay as to how each 2 on 1 materialized...

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
          They were both fun games to watch.
          Not so much for me. Yes, the games were fast and exciting, but at the same time I found myself continually frustrated. Credit Wisconsin for their consistent and aggressive forecheck, which kept the Gophers pinned into their own zone for long stretches, forcing icing as the only option to relieve Wisconsin's pressure.

If the Gophers hope to respond and compete for the WCHA title, major improvement in all facets of their game will be needed. If they are not able to rise to the challenge, we'll have to look forward to next year when talented help arrives.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I would, however, love to see a replay as to how each 2 on 1 materialized...
            There are gifs at the Badger WH twitter page that show them, although they may not start as early as you might want.

https://twitter.com/BadgerWHockey

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              There are gifs at the Badger WH twitter page that show them, although they may not start as early as you might want.

https://twitter.com/BadgerWHockey
              Sorry I asked...

Comment

I was a lot more pleased with the game today than the one yesterday. There were stretches where the Gophers demonstrated an ability to break the Wisconsin forecheck by keeping the puck moving with short, crisp passes. Yeah, there were other times when they brought the puck to a halt, allowing the Badgers to swarm, or just tried to fling the puck down the ice. A young team is going to have problems with that forecheck, but I liked that there was some progress from yesterday.

There were long stretches where they couldn't get control of the puck in their own end, but they did a good job of not letting Wisconsin turn that possession into scoring chances. Some of that is due to the extremely risk averse way that Wisconsin plays, but they did the same thing in the first game last weekend in Duluth. Last year, a lot of the defensive zone coverage was prone to bad breakdowns, but there's less of that this year.

The way Wisconsin scored their two goals obscures the fact that the transition defense was a lot better today that it frequently has been. The first goal was kind of a fluky play, where Agnew whiffed on an attempted pass back to the defense, springing Cogan and Mauermann to come in against Katie Robinson and her one good ankle. The second came in overtime of a game in which Minnesota played 4 1/2 defensemen, so it's not terribly surprising that something went wrong. The hustle to catch up to Wellhausen wasn't really there, but I'm not sure it would have made a difference.

Caitlin Reilly was fantastic today. She backchecked hard. She had several good chances that she couldn't convert, including one right at the start of the second period. The one thing that I've noticed is that the puck ends up in her skates a lot. At least three times today, a good scoring chance failed to develop because she had to stop and try to recontrol the puck. I have no idea whether these are bad passes, whether she has an issue with how she tries to receive them, or are just bad luck. It has become noticeable, though.

Skarzynski stood out in a positive way again. One thing she's very good at, and it's not something I would necessarily have expected out of a convert from defense, is that when the Gophers are in the middle of a change and she carries the puck in by herself, she is adept at keeping control of it and having it in a useful position when the rest of the line gets out there.

We need to start chants of, "Go, Kippin, go!"

Comment

The way Wisconsin scored their two goals obscures the fact that the transition defense was a lot better today that it frequently has been. The first goal was kind of a fluky play, where Agnew whiffed on an attempted pass back to the defense, springing Cogan and Mauermann to come in against Katie Robinson and her one good ankle. The second came in overtime of a game in which Minnesota played 4 1/2 defensemen, so it's not terribly surprising that something went wrong. The hustle to catch up to Wellhausen wasn't really there, but I'm not sure it would have made a difference.
                  Yeah, on the first goal Agnew tried to pass back to Marshall who wasn't there because Patti had just decided to skate after the puck herself. A typical play for this team being a little out of sync with each other. And I agree you can't really blame Agnew or Marshall.

Neither Knowles nor Woken hustled back after Wellhausen on the game winner. Yesterday I was upset with Woken because I thought she had been particularly poor in the defensive zone the second half of the game if not all day. Lackadaisical and not working to convert opportunities to get the puck out of the zone. Today I've backed off a bit and decided to leave Woken to the coaches for now She's been looking promising lately.

The whole team ended the day looking shell shocked by Wisconsin's relentlessness and forecheck. Eventually, they were afraid to make passes in their own zone that appeared to be there and it turned into a bit of a mess. Piazza finally got fed up and made some real hard digs in the corner to get the puck which was nice to see.

But all in all I thought the Gophers worked hard and showed improvement as a team. We could have won either game. In addition to Reilly, Keller, and Skarzynski, I liked Marshall quite a bit and I'm really enjoying watching Emily Brown play. I thought Zumwinkle showed some spark yesterday beyond the goal she scored.

We really need to go on a winning streak now so the team and the fans can feel like they really are getting better. And now that the competition lightens a little maybe we start alternating goalies again.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    Eventually, they were afraid to make passes in their own zone that appeared to be there and it turned into a bit of a mess.
                    At this stage of their evolution, they aren't a very good passing team. Part of that is playing Wisconsin, where the slightest bobble or hesitation can produce a turnover, but they haven't passed well all season. I thought that problem started to manifest last year, although they had their games, or at least shifts, where they could zip the puck around effectively.

The other option is that the coaches may need to come up with a different scheme for breaking out against Wisconsin, because either the kids weren't executing it effectively in the second period, or it just wasn't going to work. There seemed to be a lot of reliance on the wing on the wall handling the puck perfectly just so that she could try to get it past the Badgers' point with no real option for a pass. If they passed into the middle and fumbled the puck, a prime scoring chance against was going to result. So Wisconsin was able to come really hard, and if Minnesota beat the pressure, Wisconsin still usually got possession at neutral ice.

One bit of a relief from the series is that none of Wisconsin's freshmen were dominant. They were all good players, and I'm sure they'll cause us plenty of headaches over the next four years, but I didn't see a Knight, Duggan, or Decker type who really stood out. Much of the improvement looked to come from their sophomores.

The best part about a weekend like this is the Gophers got better from the start of the series to the end. Apply the lessons correctly, and perhaps we'll have a chance to be a factor by WCHA Tournament time.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      The other option is that the coaches may need to come up with a different scheme for breaking out against Wisconsin, because either the kids weren't executing it effectively in the second period, or it just wasn't going to work.
                      Not a stat anyone keeps track of, but I wonder what the team record is for most icings in one game? With Wisconsin pinning them in for long stretches at a time, the Gophers seemed to have no other option but to ice the puck in order to relieve the pressure. To the Gophers credit they did do a good job of keeping the puck to the outside, and in the process keeping Wisconsin's prime scoring chances to a minimum. Both Badger goals came on perfectly executed 2 on 1's as opposed to those long stretches of offensive zone pressure.

I do agree that the coaches need to come up with a couple of variations in their breakout. To my eyes it has become too predictable, so I hope it's something they really work on this week in practice.

Comment

Mankato this year has 9 players with a positive +/- and 9 players with a negative +/-. Not the usual stat from them this far into the season. And take away power plays they have given up only one more goal than they have scored. On power plays the only difference is shooting percentage. They have had 25 power plays and 25 attempted kills. They have scored on 2 of 32 PP shots, and been scored in 6 of 32 PK shots.
                        So we need to be ready for these guys!

Gophers are shooting over 10% And scoring at a higher percentage than their opponents. After last year that's a good sign. Our SOG per game margin is only 3.6. But that was obviously hurt by the last two weeks v UW and UMD. Lots of people are scoring and IMHO our passing in the offensive zone is actually showing signs of improvement. I would love to see Sydney Baldwin pass to somebody once she crosses center ice on one of her rushes at least one time before she graduates! Woken is shooting .029 (1 of 35). That's a big problem for the team. We need a little more from her. Zumwinkle as well. She is shooting .111 on 5 for 45 shots. But considering she has 5 power play goals that means she could use some even strength production! For me, I'm not as concerned with Grace as with Alex. So here's to Alex for her to start turning her chances into goals!!!

Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                          I would love to see Sydney Baldwin pass to somebody once she crosses center ice on one of her rushes at least one time before she graduates!
                          I think you need to define who that somebody is as it might be just as likely an opponent as it would be a teammate...
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Did not see the game tonight, but a big congrats to Sierra Smith on scoring her first goal (and point) as a Golden Gopher! Also, great to see Grace Zumwinkle get untracked with her 4 point night (1 goal and 3 first assists).

Comment

They needed a game like this; after a month in which their errors got continually punished, it was nice to see them get rewarded for the things they did well.

Zimwunkle's goal came off a well executed 2-on-1, with a nice feed from Piazza. Schammel's power play goal was a slam dunk on a nice pass from Zimwinkle. And right off the faceoff after MSU's only goal, Kippin Keller had almost the entire net to shoot at; the PA guy didn't announce the assists on it, but I think the play was made by Zumwunkle.

For the most part, Reilly played well again, but criminy, she needs to learn how to stay out of the box.

Comment

They needed a game like this; after a month in which their errors got continually punished, it was nice to see them get rewarded for the things they did well.

Zimwunkle's goal came off a well executed 2-on-1, with a nice feed from Piazza. Schammel's power play goal was a slam dunk on a nice pass from Zimwinkle. And right off the faceoff after MSU's only goal, Kippin Keller had almost the entire net to shoot at; the PA guy didn't announce the assists on it, but I think the play was made by Zumwunkle.

For the most part, Reilly played well again, but criminy, she needs to learn how to stay out of the box.
                                Very good. We were getting a laugh out of the PA announcers various attempts at #12's name. He should have just said Zoom Boom.
                                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Working...
                                X