X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2018

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    Thank you, e.cat. I was confused with a BC guy taking a shot at SB or UMass, what with their 0-7 ACC record and big OOC wins against Maine, NIU and Howard.
    See, I'm confused here. Did they beat Moe, Curly or Shemp???
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Nick P = Hokydad envy?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        The fact that you are referencing the last ten years says to me that I just read the Scott Borek version of history. I have no idea who you are but, if what you say is true, then the lack of results ten years and beyond is a black mark on the entire coaching staff going back to the early 70's. I will remind you that the greatest player UNH ever had from the state was Frank Roy (Berlin), and he graduated in 1979, 46 freakin' years ago. It has always bothered me that UNH Hockey has not done a great job in branding the program throughout the state. My wife is from North Conway originally and I can tell you that, up there, the UNH name was never a factor when she was growing up. I have a good friend who lives in southwestern NH, near Keene. Out there UNH might as well be in a foreign country. As for border towns, more focused on Boston than ole State U. The Seacoast, Concord and Manchester, that's it. Contrast that to Maine Hockey which, when Walshie was coach, made the effort to brand the program across the state, despite the fact that it was remote from most of the population centers of the state. UNH could do way more in this regard. My guess is we will have to wait until Souza takes over to find out if things change.
        Math issues aside, Greg is right on the money, and this is what drives me absolutely nuts about UNH admin generally, and BS35+3 in particular. UNH had a generations-long head start on cornering the NH hockey market from both a promotional and talent standpoint, and frankly they have not only failed to capitalize on it, but they have squandered it to frickin' minor league hockey. And now that the quality of the minor league product over in ManchVegas has dropped from prospect level (AHL) to goon level (ECHL) hockey, UNH still hasn't done anything to reach out and recapture some of the market they basically gave away - and mind you, they gave it away when the program was at its apex in the early part of the Noughties (sp?).

Maybe things will change on the ice when Souza (or whomever) takes over someday. But until there is a sea change in thinking at the top levels of the department and at the University, what should already be the well-established "flagship" sports program in the state will continue to fly under the radar in far too many areas of the state, and will be underpublicized even in the areas surrounding Durham. I can't tell you how many local families and their children consider themselves HUGE hockey fans, and that means they go see the B's one (1) time per season down in Boston. They're shocked when I ask them if they've ever considered the UNH Hockey product, as may seem to think it's pseudo-HS level hockey. And the powers that be in Durham wonder why attendance is down at the Whitt when the program has gradually alienated SO many long term fans, while totally ignoring the opportunity to recruit new fans from the younger generations.

If it wasn't so GD pathetic, it would be sad. Even with UNH Football, they're almost a decade past the Ricky Santos years already, and it's only now that the stadium is being brought up to something acceptable for their level.

And with UNH Hoops even expected to do well this season, why isn't there talk about moving some of their games over to the Whitt like they did in the mid-'90's when it opened? Oh yeah, UNH doesn't publicize them either.

Must be nice to have an AD's job with such a paucity of expectations. Keep up the mediocre work, BS35+3.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
          Math is not a strong suit at UNH, I see. Better tell my husband he's suddenly 10 years older and that his degree in math from UNH isn't well represented here
          Yeah, I saw that after it was too late to edit. Must have hit the wrong key. But you get my drift I hope?

Comment

I have no issue with UNHs recruitment of in state kids. They have a decent amount in Robinson, Thompson, desmith, etc. I have no expectation that these kids should go to UNH, particularly if they have options of better hockey programs or schools. BC, BU, Harvard.

What does annoy me is when we lose "local" kids to comparable programs, where the distinguishing feature is a perception of where each program is headed. Losing NH kid Spencer Young and northshore kid Ben Mirageas to Prov, when it would be far easier for their families to come to the Whit is far more troubling than not getting a NH kid.

It is like losing NH kid Jeff Serowik to an aggressive Providence assistant who convinced him playing for an old past his prime UNH coach would not be good.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Math issues aside, Greg is right on the money, and this is what drives me absolutely nuts about UNH admin generally, and BS35+3 in particular. UNH had a generations-long head start on cornering the NH hockey market from both a promotional and talent standpoint, and frankly they have not only failed to capitalize on it, but they have squandered it to frickin' minor league hockey. And now that the quality of the minor league product over in ManchVegas has dropped from prospect level (AHL) to goon level (ECHL) hockey, UNH still hasn't done anything to reach out and recapture some of the market they basically gave away - and mind you, they gave it away when the program was at its apex in the early part of the Noughties (sp?).

Maybe things will change on the ice when Souza (or whomever) takes over someday. But until there is a sea change in thinking at the top levels of the department and at the University, what should already be the well-established "flagship" sports program in the state will continue to fly under the radar in far too many areas of the state, and will be underpublicized even in the areas surrounding Durham. I can't tell you how many local families and their children consider themselves HUGE hockey fans, and that means they go see the B's one (1) time per season down in Boston. They're shocked when I ask them if they've ever considered the UNH Hockey product, as may seem to think it's pseudo-HS level hockey. And the powers that be in Durham wonder why attendance is down at the Whitt when the program has gradually alienated SO many long term fans, while totally ignoring the opportunity to recruit new fans from the younger generations.

If it wasn't so GD pathetic, it would be sad. Even with UNH Football, they're almost a decade past the Ricky Santos years already, and it's only now that the stadium is being brought up to something acceptable for their level.

And with UNH Hoops even expected to do well this season, why isn't there talk about moving some of their games over to the Whitt like they did in the mid-'90's when it opened? Oh yeah, UNH doesn't publicize them either.

Must be nice to have an AD's job with such a paucity of expectations. Keep up the mediocre work, BS35+3.
              Chuck, the missteps of the athletic department are a direct result of the missteps of the University System as a whole. New Hampshire has ranked last nationally in state support for higher education for years, behind even Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and the rest. It's been that way since I arrived in Durham in 1970, 45 years ago (how's my math?). I am not a great believer that the success of a university's athletic teams significantly impacts donations to the school, but I do know that when UNH Hockey ascended in the late 90's and early aughts, Coach Umile in particular and the team in general was a welcome sight when they visited Concord. Not sure how it is with the football team, but I generally agree with you that UNH Athletics has missed opportunities to promote a warm and fuzzy feeling for the school throughout the state.

On the hockey side I just look at it practically. Over the years other Hockey East schools have come into the state and recruited multiple players who have gone on to become significant players someplace else. Freddy Meyer is only the most notable example. More than a few times I have had conversations with fans, long time season ticket holders, who openly deride the coaching staff's recruiting priorities. They will watch a game where some mid-talent from the midwest is outclassed by a kid who grew up down the road. The question always is "why are we wasting our time flying all over the country to get a kid like (name withheld) when this other kid is right here in New Hampshire?" I've asked the question to Umile, Lassonde and McCloskey myself. The response was always something along the lines of UNH1932 - "we tried, but didn't succeed." When is that answer going to begin to be unacceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                I have no issue with UNHs recruitment of in state kids. They have a decent amount in Robinson, Thompson, desmith, etc. I have no expectation that these kids should go to UNH, particularly if they have options of better hockey programs or schools. BC, BU, Harvard.

What does annoy me is when we lose "local" kids to comparable programs, where the distinguishing feature is a perception of where each program is headed. Losing NH kid Spencer Young and northshore kid Ben Mirageas to Prov, when it would be far easier for their families to come to the Whit is far more troubling than not getting a NH kid.

It is like losing NH kid Jeff Serowik to an aggressive Providence assistant who convinced him playing for an old past his prime UNH coach would not be good.
                You agree that we are not getting our fair share compared to other state universities?

Comment

My "thing" with this, Greg you may be saying the same, is that while we may lose high end Freddie Meyer talent to top schools, why not pad the roster with NH kids if possible? Obviously if there are better out of state players for the 3rd/4th lines you go after them, but all things being equal, let's have as many NH kids on the roster as possible. Caveat: I don't follow recruiting except on this thread. Caveat II: When the Gophers first hit my radar I thought the only thing more cool than an all MN roster was skating cheerleaders.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

How about NH Kids like two that you will see tomorrow in Durham with BC sweaters on? How woudl they look in Blue and White?

Zach Sanford - 10 gms - 9 pts
                    JD Dudek - 9 gms - 1 pt.

There is an OLD story from basketball recruiting that I am sure Greg and Chuck may remember. In 1977 (I am praying that this was 38 years ago, and not 48), UNC-Charlotte made the Final 4 behind Cedric Maxwell (future Celtic great) and Dean Smith from UNC was asked about him. He didnt know anything, because UNC never recruited him.

From that point forward, UNC knew who EVERY recruit in NC was. There wasnt going to be another in-state kid beating UNC without Dean Smith knowing about it.

Rule your backyard for talent. The drive is much shorter, the good feelings much greater, and the good will to UNH and the State - Priceless!
                    Last edited by Whalers; 11-20-2015, 11:39 AM.

Comment

"The State of Miami" - H. Schnellenberger. Check out the ESPN 30 for 30 on Miami football.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I will assume that folks in this thread are unimpressed with DeSmith, Greg Burke, Paul Thompson, Brian Foster - all of whom are from NH, I believe. Tcbg mentioned Ed Carron (?sp), but I don't recall him from my limited time watching UNH or my time watching BU.

Comment

I don't care where they are from -- recruit talented kids. I don't have a "fair share" calculation -- I understand Sandford and Dudek would want to go to a successful program with good academics. What I hate is losing recruiting wars to comparable programs, especially if we have a geographic advantage. If they are nearby, that helps sell them on being able to have their family see them. Losing a kid from Manchester is losing a kid from Newburyport. Both within 30 mines, and should have an advantage.

Losing those kids to Providence just reflects that despite the geographic advantages, they see PC as a program on the way up, and us as a program on the way down.

We'll regret losing this kid. And Newburyport's Mirageas. And Ludlow's Ryczek. All saw PC as more desirable than UNH. Until something fundamentally changes in that equation (i.e., 3 years), UNH will be losing all sorts of kids, not just NH kids.

Mon. 7/22/13

Young Chooses PC

Phillips Exeter defenseman Spenser Young, a ’97 and a rising sophomore, has committed to Providence College, most likely for the fall of ’16.

Yale, Harvard, Merrimack, UMass, UNH, and Boston College were all schools that were either watching and/or recruiting him.

Friars head coach Nate Leaman had watched Young, a 5’10”, 165 lb. Brentwood, NH native, at the Exeter Invitational back in early December, and worked the case hard.

Young’s coach at Exeter, Dana Barbin, first became of aware of Young when the latter was a nine-year-old. Barbin was coaching his son’s baseball team and Young was his shortstop.

Barbin says Young, who played three sports – soccer, hockey, and baseball – at Exeter last season, is a terrific all-around athlete.

“His skating is outstanding, as is his poise with the puck,” Barbin says. “Those are the two things that you notice right away.”
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            My "thing" with this, Greg you may be saying the same, is that while we may lose high end Freddie Meyer talent to top schools, why not pad the roster with NH kids if possible? Obviously if there are better out of state players for the 3rd/4th lines you go after them, but all things being equal, let's have as many NH kids on the roster as possible. Caveat: I don't follow recruiting except on this thread. Caveat II: When the Gophers first hit my radar I thought the only thing more cool than an all MN roster was skating cheerleaders.
                            But, even the Gophs needed an out-of-stater to win NCs in 2002 (Ptulney) and 2003 (Vanek).

Comment

RE: Spencer Young:

Young’s coach at Exeter, Dana Barbin, first became of aware of Young when the latter was a nine-year-old. Barbin was coaching his son’s baseball team and Young was his shortstop.

Barbin says Young, who played three sports – soccer, hockey, and baseball – at Exeter last season, is a terrific all-around athlete.

“His skating is outstanding, as is his poise with the puck,” Barbin says. “Those are the two things that you notice right away.”
                              Interesting that this kid's coach, a well-known UNH hockey alum, couldn't sell him on the positives of staying in-state.
                              UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                I don't care where they are from -- recruit talented kids. I don't have a "fair share" calculation -- I understand Sandford and Dudek would want to go to a successful program with good academics. What I hate is losing recruiting wars to comparable programs, especially if we have a geographic advantage. If they are nearby, that helps sell them on being able to have their family see them. Losing a kid from Manchester is losing a kid from Newburyport. Both within 30 mines, and should have an advantage.

Losing those kids to Providence just reflects that despite the geographic advantages, they see PC as a program on the way up, and us as a program on the way down.

We'll regret losing this kid. And Newburyport's Mirageas. And Ludlow's Ryczek. All saw PC as more desirable than UNH. Until something fundamentally changes in that equation (i.e., 3 years), UNH will be losing all sorts of kids, not just NH kids.
                                Re Spenser Young am very good friends with his aunt; (officiated with her a few college games) believe he had his eye on Brown initially and went PC. She says they are thrilled he's going there...
                                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Working...
                                X