Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Maybe all of the scholarship funds are already committed to those on Watcher's list on the recruiting thread for the next three seasons. The one D slot open for next season, one D and three forwards slots for 2019-2020, and two D and four forwards slots for 2020-2021 may be filled primarily by non- scholarship walk-on's? Not the UNH family way to pull scholarship money already promised, not to mention taking away ice time to fourth line and third D-pair captains.
    Bear in mind many of the kids on that list are likely pretty partial offers (or should be). I would say about six to eight are low partial kids. When so many of the kids say UNH was their first offer (or interest), UNH should not have scholarship problems.

And committing early limits the ability to get Dan his Levi Glasman.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-16-2018, 10:59 AM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      And committing early limits the ability to get Dan his Levi Glasman.
      Obviously this is not a one-size fits all, we only recruit 14 year olds suggestion of strategy. You know that.

First of all when you recruit early and aggressively, you're going to lose a lot - but that's OK because you'll likely win 1-3 high end talents each class. You'll still have a need to supplement your classes with later bloomers or solid role guys down the road. And you'll end up with the perfect needed balance.

Secondly, this is not early recruiting for early recruiting sake. It's about targeting and moving on the top talents and great fits. I'm not interested in committing to 15 year olds just because - a la the last few years of Borek recruits. Get the right guys and if you still have needs moving forward add more guys.

Finally, early is relative to when you see a player. When you see talent and scoring ability - with production backing that evaluation up, move. For example after the first 1/5 of the BCHL season when Glasman has proven to be an impact player (boom) offer and move...

If UNH hits the jackpot early and has full classes of talent and no room for the Levi Glassmans of the world - that's fine with me. I'm not expecting it. But better success by being aggressive and moving quickly on young players, and rounding out classes with kids like Glasman when the blue bloods are stocked up - sounds like a winner to me...

And having 1-3 kids in the bag makes the rest of your process easier - allowing you to zero in on kids like Glasman as a missing piece. Rather than still finding yourself chasing a number of last minute targets all over the country or hoping circumstances dictate a player falling in your lap...

---

And there's nothing wrong with being aggressive and saying, "Levi, we need forwards like you immediately. We want you to be the guy. It's your decision in the time you take, but we're going to be looking and offering as we go because this is a big need for us and a big opportunity for forward recruits. First two to accept offers are our guys"...

That's the aggression and urgency that's needed early or otherwise...
      Last edited by Dan; 03-16-2018, 11:45 AM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

I don't think jumping on Glasman as a 16/17 year old would have upset anyone had they discovered him then, either. He wasn't really under the radar to scouts...

http://www.trailsmokeeaters.com/smok...berta-recruits
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Against my better judgement am going to the HE Semis maybe see some of you there!!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Against my better judgement am going to the HE Semis maybe see some of you there!!
            Well, you’ve already gotten your money’s worth!

(And at least you can focus on hockey tonight, not on having to read the crazy parsing of our new coach’s every word from his first presser.)
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Didn’t realize you were here (just saw this). Where are you sitting?

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                Didn’t realize you were here (just saw this). Where are you sitting?
                Well for now behind the PC bench (Loge 2) but may move I've travelled a bit. But of course I'm in my blue away UNH jersey white hat so come on over!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Between periods. Too late right now. 😊

Comment

How would current players react to hearing their head coach state that the team needs a complete rebuild?

Is it a fact that Souza had full control of the D and recruiting, essentially Coach Umile acted as if those things did not exist?

Coach Umile has said that recruiting success during his tenure started with Eric Boguniecki's commitment. After that they could tell other recruits that if UNH is good enough for EB, it is good enough for them. Who will be the next EB?

It sounds like UNH as an institution has decided that athletics can be part of the strategy to broaden international diversity on campus. Good. A bit late, but good.
                    Last edited by Darius; 03-16-2018, 08:23 PM.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Off topic. UMBC , the NCAA America East representative in BB, just beat Number 1 seed UVA by 20. 74-54. Now if only UNH had a BB coach of value.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Darius;6625832]How would current players react to hearing their head coach state that the team needs a complete [/QUOTE

When a team wins just 10 games, and only one in the last three months, what do you think the current players think? I hope they think that just maybe we weren’t good enough. That maybe we have to play better. And that just maybe, if players with more skill come in, my position on the team might be in jeopardy. College hockey is a results oriented business,,or at least it should be. When the results are not good, there are consequences. If there is one thing I want to see, it is Souza deciding that those who earn playing time do so because of their ability rather than there class ranking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Miami Hockey is known as the brotherhood. That led to a lot of wins and great recruits when Jeff Blashill and Chris Bergeron were doing the recruiting. Now, it gets them nowhere and they're losing. Why? Cause the recruiters aren't any good and kids can find a family atmosphere at any number of schools.
                          Miami cleared that up yesterday. Brekke and Petraglia were fired. Also reports 4 players won’t be back
                          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

I actually think the problem is their ice arena, which was new in 2006 but now is dated and needs paint in some places. That's why they have been slipping in recruiting.

(sarcasm aside, they misstepped with a few major junior defections, and then like UNH post Ryan Bourque/Cam Reid/Mark White filled with a lot of filler recruits. Then, moving to a small conference in which someone has to be last, they became the small fish in a big pond (NCHC), rather than the big fish in a small pond (CCHA). Losing begets losing until the narrative changes.)
                            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-17-2018, 08:05 AM.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                              Miami cleared that up yesterday. Brekke and Petraglia were fired. Also reports 4 players won’t be back
                              Good ol' Enrico Blasi - the "Dick Umile of the Midwest". Funny just how his career continues to parallel DU's.

Although (for better or worse) I don't think DU would've ever axed two assistants and four players at once.

++++++++++++++++

Being at the HE Semis last night really brought it home (again) just what the fall of the UNH program has meant to its fans. Those kind of games are really what it's all about, and it smarts when you realize that UNH isn't even close to qualifying to play in those kind of games. And if some folks think some of us are being a little too hard on Coach Souza so early in his HC tenure ... well, as Dan and others have pointed out, next year's team is not only "all his" as the HC, but it's literally "all his" as it's his players who have been recruited during these last three seasons-in-waiting. The trend hasn't been promising either. Maybe the Taylor "get" signals a positive change, especially after Commesso's de-commit? We can only wait and hope. In the interim, we wait for the revelation of the new assistant(s) - assuming Stewie has some interest in the Merrimack HC job (doubt he'd get it though) - and I'm watching for selection of next year's captains.

It was nice to finally meet HR and chickod at the arena last night.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                It was nice to finally meet HR and chickod at the arena last night.
                                The feeling is mutual! I admire your dedication. It's great to see fans from many schools attending. As I said last night, a relevant UNH is great for Hockey East and I hope that they can get back there (with their thousands of fans). It was always an incredible atmosphere. Good luck to you and let's see what MS can do before we pass judgment (coming from one, who, of course never passes judgment!

Comment

Working...
                                X