Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Religion Thread: That's Me In the Corner...

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    This is why I consider this board "chosen family." I swear, if I get married to a nice boy, people on this board will receive an invite while my actual family will not.
    I'd come, I'll tell you that.

I mean. Open bar, right?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I'd come, I'll tell you that.

I mean. Open bar, right?
      Yeah. And I've already decided I'll wear a dress and have a Maid of Honor and Bridesmaids.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

This is why I consider this board "chosen family." I swear, if I get married to a nice boy, people on this board will receive an invite while my actual family will not.
        Careful, Bob. You never know. Don't exclude just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Careful, Bob. You never know. Don't exclude just yet.
          I have my brother and his fiance's support, plus two of my cousins are more liberal, so I have theirs.

But I don't know if I have my aunt's support.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

I have my brother and his fiance's support, plus two of my cousins are more liberal, so I have theirs.

Early days yet. I know it is hard but the rule of starting meds applies here- Start low, go slow- People need time to assimilate, rethink, reorient from what they thought they knew. If you are focusing on this one thing when dealing with people can be confusing to them. This is an important part of you but it is not the only thing that makes you you. If they are used to you talking about other stuff, concentrating on other things and now this is the thing you are talking about a lot they may be wondering why and what happened to the person who was talking about the other things that used to be your focus. Are those other things no longer important? (not articulate but hopefully making a bit of sense.)

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              Early days yet. I know it is hard but the rule of starting meds applies here- Start low, go slow- People need time to assimilate, rethink, reorient from what they thought they knew. If you are focusing on this one thing when dealing with people can be confusing to them. This is an important part of you but it is not the only thing that makes you you. If they are used to you talking about other stuff, concentrating on other things and now this is the thing you are talking about a lot they may be wondering why and what happened to the person who was talking about the other things that used to be your focus. Are those other things no longer important? (not articulate but hopefully making a bit of sense.)
              Really nice advice, les.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                Really nice advice, les.
                I'll say. That was borderline profound. Flagged!
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So much derp.

The best part: the magazine she is burning does not contain the story she objects to; it is in the electronic version.
                  Cornell University

Comment

The Nazi Pope's brother seems nice.

Victims described their schooling and choir experience as like "a prison, hell and a concentration camp," Weber said, adding that many had described those years as "the worst time of their lives, characterized by fear, violence and hopelessness."

In 2010, the 1,000-year-old choir was rocked by allegations of wide-spread sexual abuse brought forth by former choir members. By 2013, more than 400 victims had come forward and detailed the abuse they suffered at the hands of adults in the Catholic Church.

The choir was run by Georg Ratzinger, the elder brother of former Pope Benedict XVI, from 1964 to 1994, when most of the abuse is believed to have occurred.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Yeah. And I've already decided I'll wear a dress and have a Maid of Honor and Bridesmaids.
                      The hubs and I had a very secular wedding. I did wear a dress (which is a rare occurrence for me), but I had a person of honor (my brother...he's been my friend since I was born) and bridesminions. Most of my friends are guys, just 'cause some tradition says wear a dress and have only females on your side and males on the other doesn't mean you have to. Now, if all your best friends and the only people you'd want at your side are women, go for it.

My brother's wedding was similar. I was one of his groom's people along with a couple of his close female friends. We wore dresses that matched the bridesmaids. The bride's brother stood on her side and wore a tux that matched the groomsmen.

Gender roles/expectations are a pet peeve of mine. Just treat everyone as human and don't worry about what body parts they have or don't have.

edit: also at my wedding one of my nieces was the ring bearer. She wanted that role, and why shouldn't she have it? She wore a dress that matched her twin sister, the flower girl.
                      Last edited by wolverineTrumpet; 07-18-2017, 12:48 PM.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                        The hubs and I had a very secular wedding. I did wear a dress (which is a rare occurrence for me), but I had a person of honor (my brother...he's been my friend since I was born) and bridesminions. Most of my friends are guys, just 'cause some tradition says wear a dress and have only females on your side and males on the other doesn't mean you have to. Now, if all your best friends and the only people you'd want at your side are women, go for it.

My brother's wedding was similar. I was one of his groom's people along with a couple of his close female friends. We wore dresses that matched the bridesmaids. The bride's brother stood on her side and wore a tux that matched the groomsmen.

Gender roles/expectations are a pet peeve of mine. Just treat everyone as human and don't worry about what body parts they have or don't have.

edit: also at my wedding one of my nieces was the ring bearer. She wanted that role, and why shouldn't she have it? She wore a dress that matched her twin sister, the flower girl.
                        Same. tHubs had groomsvengers (a la the Avengers) and I had a Lord and Ladies of Awesome. My brother wore a suit that matched the groomsvengers suits, but he sat with the Ladies of Awesome. I didn't wear white because 1)I was hardly a virgin nor do I behave like a demure bride, 2) I looked like a marshmellow, 3) those dresses were f*ing expensive. My red dress (a bridesmaid's dress at the store) cost about the same as a suit and it was awesome. My pregnant Lady of Awesome carried our rings on a bracelet held near her belly -- that was about as close to a ringbearer as we had. We got married by a JP in khakis and a 10$ dress from Target at our rehearsal and said our vows in front of my SIL (NH has silly rules about 1 day/online ordinations). We didn't have cake because it sucks, but we had an ice cream sundae bar.

Gender/schmender. I have an awesome tailored suit that I intend to wear to formal events from now on since it's WAY more comfortable than most dresses and I don't have to wear a corset or duct tape my boobs to look good in it.

So basically, f* everybody and do what you want and people will react how they're going to react anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                          Same. tHubs had groomsvengers (a la the Avengers) and I had a Lord and Ladies of Awesome. My brother wore a suit that matched the groomsvengers suits, but he sat with the Ladies of Awesome. I didn't wear white because 1)I was hardly a virgin nor do I behave like a demure bride, 2) I looked like a marshmellow, 3) those dresses were f*ing expensive. My red dress (a bridesmaid's dress at the store) cost about the same as a suit and it was awesome. My pregnant Lady of Awesome carried our rings on a bracelet held near her belly -- that was about as close to a ringbearer as we had. We got married by a JP in khakis and a 10$ dress from Target at our rehearsal and said our vows in front of my SIL (NH has silly rules about 1 day/online ordinations). We didn't have cake because it sucks, but we had an ice cream sundae bar.

Gender/schmender. I have an awesome tailored suit that I intend to wear to formal events from now on since it's WAY more comfortable than most dresses and I don't have to wear a corset or duct tape my boobs to look good in it.

So basically, f* everybody and do what you want and people will react how they're going to react anyway.
                          Well said and well done.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

She just disowned me in a very angry text.

Comment

She just disowned me in a very angry text.
                              Bob, she may learn. One thing I've wanted to ask - did this cause you to walk away from your church, or did you walk away before that? That may be a big part of it.

My parents weren't crazy about me quitting Catholicism when I was about 19, but they quickly came around. However, it helps that they are moderates to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Bob, she may learn. One thing I've wanted to ask - did this cause you to walk away from your church, or did you walk away before that? That may be a big part of it.

My parents weren't crazy about me quitting Catholicism when I was about 19, but they quickly came around. However, it helps that they are moderates to begin with.
                                In 2014, I was in the closet, but still believing. Two things forced me to walk away: my dad ranting and raving how marathon running was a sin and how working on Sunday was a sin. Then I was told that my severe depression was God's will and I just should suck it up and accept it.

Since leaving the church, I have discovered this attitude toward LGBT people:

If I had committed murder in cold blood: "That's nice."

When I came out as Bi/Trans: "You're what? We don't know you any more, you sinner! GET OUT!

Comment

Working...
                                X