Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
    Chris Peter just tweeted it appears he is leaving for the USHL. The Steel traded his rights to Dubuque.

Wish him the best.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

Wish him the best.
      Loved the energy that he would bring to a game, but he just took too many stupid aggressive penalties for my taste.

Yeah, get in a guy's face, be aggressive. But know where to draw the line and keep yourself out of the box!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        I'm assuming he's gone and I'm moving on. If he stays, great.

EDIT: Sin City or City of Sinners?
        Well...................
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Best of luck....fewer bonehead penalties and less playing around with the puck too much until you turn it over is a positive.

Comment

I know we're stretching the JD subject out a bit, but I wonder if number of games is a factor? The USHL plays 60 regular season games. NCAA plays 34(?). A step back might help him.

On an unrelated note, I've been asked why kids decide to play in the CHL over NCAA. My answer is TWICE as many games. College hockey lacks in games played.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

That’s a double edged sword. JD’s biggest issue is discipline, which probably does need more games played to improve.

But fewer games means more practices, more time to develop skills and techniques. JD might not need that as much, but most players his age (even really really good ones) do.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Rizzo to nodak. **** UW could have used him or Cruikshank this season.
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronny Wolf
                  I would’ve thought having Cruikshank here would’ve helped up land him. Still got some studs in the pipeline. Would’ve thought this staff could’ve landed him.
                  I still have confidence in the staff but it’s been weakened by recent news and last season’s performance. Right now they need to get in the NCAA and win a game, show on the ice and not on paper that this team is going places.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

That hurts. Would’ve been a nice feather in the cap for this staff.

Comment

• Want the high end recruits? Win and they will come.

Comment

• NoDak NEVER rebuilds, they just ****ing reload. You've got to give them stick taps.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                          Want the high end recruits? Win and they will come.
                          Amen brother.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            NoDak NEVER rebuilds, they just ****ing reload. You've got to give them stick taps.
                            Exactly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                              Want the high end recruits? Win and they will come.
                              Despite solo's enthusiasm for this statement, it doesn't make any sense. Logically, you're saying if you just win with bad players, good players will want to come. Well, if you can just win with bad players, you don't need anybody else. Presumably, you need good players to win in the first place. So obviously you need to get good players to start with. And then, sure, it follows that more good players would want to come.

This is going to be a difficult season. Very tough schedule and a very young (albeit talented) team. I think we're really going to find out just how good our staff is at making players better, fast. The first 8 are all the NC games on the schedule and if this young team doesn't start well it's going to be a real slog to get anywhere in the PWR from there. I'd agree that if UW can't have some measure of success this year, it would have a detrimental effect on recruiting going forward. Some more of the shine may come off the staff, so to speak.

Tony made a number of bold statements early on about their recruiting power both publicly and privately that I think were fine to make, and they certainly signed a lot of 15-16 year old stars to back it up. But as MN is well aware, the 15-year-old superstar often doesn't meet expectations, and some of the biggest stars are smart enough to stay uncommitted. Plus you have the late bloomer that at 17-19 suddenly develops and moves to the top of the heap. In today's game you have to be able to pull a couple of those guys over other schools now and then as well.

Also, just to be clear, it's crazy for UW to have any notion of the Gentleman's agreement at this point. Not saying they do, but just in case: IT IS DEAD. Get the best players!

I posed the notion in the recruiting thread that BU and DU commits weren't going to be playing for the staff that recruited them and MCR responded that in the case of BU, their best players were coasties, meaning of course, that they were unlikely targets. I agree with that as far as how it's always been. But, Tony said "we're going to get the best players!" meaning not the just best players in Chicago, St Louis, or MN, but the best. Anywhere. Where ever they are, I just hope we're taking a hard run at them.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Well stated, Wisko.

What really stands out is the Gentleman's Agreement. It's true not only in college hockey, but ALL college sports.

By the way, let's not forget what Memorial Day is about. Yep, we're having Usinger brats on the grill like millions of others, but I thank all who have served to allow us to live the way we do and to allow me overeat bratwurst.

Comment

Working...
                                X