No announcement yet.

Bottom Feeders 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The committee will be taking suggestions on venues until January. Right now, we're going with Fade's idea of the Futile Four in Louisiana, unless someone can top it.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      The committee will be taking suggestions on venues until January. Right now, we're going with Fade's idea of the Futile Four in Louisiana, unless someone can top it.
      Does it have to be in the USA or would Nepal qualify?.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Bottom Feeders 2017-18

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Does it have to be in the USA or would Nepal qualify?.
        The BFB committee certainly can't afford to fly teams anywhere. So I would think all tournament sites must have bus access from the United States. Note, I didn't say convenient bus access.

I think the only Futile Four ever held outside of the US was at some mall rink in Mexico City, and IIRC we lost a participating team that year who never made it back to the States.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          The BFB committee certainly can't afford to fly teams anywhere. So I would think all tournament sites must have bus access from the United States. Note, I didn't say convenient bus access.

I think the only Futile Four ever held outside of the US was at some mall rink in Mexico City, and IIRC we lost a participating team that year who never made it back to the States.
          Last season. Michigan State's goalie never made it back.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Adding to the aura, Terry Nichols was from the area.

I think I've found a good prospect for a BFB Midwest Regional bid - Huron County Expo Center & Ice Arena in Bad Axe, MI. However, the clock is ticking. The next year or two is probably their last shot at a bid, before a newer, far too ritzy facility is constructed:

http://www.michigansthumb.com/news/a...na-9150076.php

http://huroncountyview.mihomepaper.c...ice_arena.html

Key selling points:

1. At 70x190, the rink is nicely undersized

2. The ice plant is a decade past its EOL date, and is currently being held together with spit and glue. It could go tits up at any time.

3. Unlike other areas of the state, Michigan's thumb is not all that into hockey. Huron County is also the least densely populated county in the southern Lower Peninsula.

4. There is no media/TV/radio setup in the rink, so the ability to deliver any sort of traditional game broadcasts will be restricted. In 2017, regardless of venue, the committee may need to consider methods of preventing social media broadcasts, as Facebook and YouTube Live continue to become increasingly popular mediums. Is there some way the BFB could use its influence to have BFB tournament games auto-flagged as inappropriate content on Facebook and YouTube? Or perhaps the committee could pay some Russians to hack and temporarily disable the cellular services within the local areas of the chosen sites?

Comment

Point Barrow, AK?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/magneticnorth/2746522518/
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I played club hockey in the mid-80s at Carnegie Mellon. We traveled to West Virginia University for a weekend, the rink was open on three sides. And the local culture (which I'm sure could catch on) involved fans who stood behind the visiting goal and spit over the glass onto the opposing goaltender. I suggesting looking into this venue.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Could've sworn we had the BFB West Regional in Barrow at some point in the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by model94 View Post
                    I played club hockey in the mid-80s at Carnegie Mellon. We traveled to West Virginia University for a weekend, the rink was open on three sides. And the local culture (which I'm sure could catch on) involved fans who stood behind the visiting goal and spit over the glass onto the opposing goaltender. I suggesting looking into this venue.
                    However, WVU's sweater game strong.

*******https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...09.jpg********

*******https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d9.jpg********

(I hope that this board is now high tech enough to have images. Most of the players in the NCAA, even at Merrimack, were born after AOL cd's were a thing)

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      Should the NCHC receive an auto bid, possibly taking a spot from a more deserving Atlantic Hockey or WCHA team?
                      of course, if they suck, they suck. Some of those high fullutin teams need to see how the other half lives.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        of course, if they suck, they suck. Some of those high fullutin teams need to see how the other half lives.
                        Then Colorado College gets included in these rankings.

My Far Too Early auto bids:

Michigan State
                        Colorado College
                        Alaska Anchorage
                        Brown
                        AIC
                        UMass
                        Arizona State

Comment

What is this talk about "auto bids"? I thought that auto bids were reserved as an arcane bizarre concept of that other tournament?

Comment

I may have mixed up the rink at WVU and the fan behavior at Wheeling College. So long ago. Aluminum stick days.

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                            However, WVU's sweater game strong.

*******https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...09.jpg********

*******https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d9.jpg********

(I hope that this board is now high tech enough to have images. Most of the players in the NCAA, even at Merrimack, were born after AOL cd's were a thing)

Comment

If there's still that mandate for "media", ham radio operators will once again broadcast CW on "dead" bands.

Comment

Arkansas Skatium in Little Rock, AR also inquired about a Futile Four bid, but after reviewing their facilities, I regretfully informed them that they were not down to the committee's standards, as the rink was too brightly lit and had too much spectator seating. Also, Little Rock has a substantial airport for relatively easy access, and a Presidential Library & Museum, so there is too much entertainment available in the surrounding area.
                                Little Rock's Barton Coliseum on the state fairgrounds is easily far worse than the Skatium. But the Four States Fairgrounds in Texarkana takes things to a new low. A temporary chiller, player accessing the ice via a rubber matt over a dirt floor, plus a little history as Tampa Bay's Jon Cooper began his NAHL career there. The big Sandy Super Center in Huntington WV is also among the worst I've been in. One other option would be the ElPaso County Coliseum with it 72x180 ice surface in the livestock stench at the loading gate where to busses drop the team's off! These are all worse than the rink in Lafayette!
                                Last edited by davyd83; 08-14-2017, 10:11 AM.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X