This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MOVIES: New Ideas Welcome!

Saw KONG: Skull Island last night. C+/B- for a grade.... You expect a monster movie and you get a monster movie. If that's your thing, it'll probably score higher for you. Kong's scenes were the best in the movie by a wide margin, as they should be. He also had more development than any of the human characters. Kong vs the other monsters is worth the price of a matinee at minimum. John C. Riley's character was well played and funny. Sam Jackson's arc was kind of bizarre. You really have no clue why he is who he is. If you have some explanation to this, the movie comes together is a much better fashion.

The movie suffers from a good bit of "horror movie stupidity", where parts of the plot require characters to purposely avoid using common sense. Also there is some clunky exposition because this movie has to tie in to Godzilla since shared universes are all the rage now.

Like I said earlier, I think this is worth seeing on a Cheap Ticket Tuesday. Just grab some popcorn and munch away
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      Hey, Buckaroo Banzai is a stone-cold classic. Anyone who calls that "bad" just isn't a fan of that sort of campy humor. Not that I've seen everything he's ever done, but John Lithgow's best performance, in my opinion.

Likewise, so is Big Trouble in Little China.
      Big Trouble in Little China in is no way, shape or form a bad movie. It's - for the time - high budget camp, and it was done right.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        Saw KONG: Skull Island last night. C+/B- for a grade.... You expect a monster movie and you get a monster movie. If that's your thing, it'll probably score higher for you. Kong's scenes were the best in the movie by a wide margin, as they should be. He also had more development than any of the human characters. Kong vs the other monsters is worth the price of a matinee at minimum. John C. Riley's character was well played and funny. Sam Jackson's arc was kind of bizarre. You really have no clue why he is who he is. If you have some explanation to this, the movie comes together is a much better fashion.

The movie suffers from a good bit of "horror movie stupidity", where parts of the plot require characters to purposely avoid using common sense. Also there is some clunky exposition because this movie has to tie in to Godzilla since shared universes are all the rage now.

Like I said earlier, I think this is worth seeing on a Cheap Ticket Tuesday. Just grab some popcorn and munch away
        Yeah this reboot was set up specifically to remake Godzilla vs. King Kong...which I dont see the point to but most likely will be fun. My dad loves Kong movies and Godzilla movies (not to mention Planet of the Apes) so the last few years have been heaven for him

Does Kong have a ridiculous bait and switch with an actor like Godzilla did. I was almost in Godzilla as much as Cranston was
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Trust me I have plenty people could mock me about
          Ditto.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah this reboot was set up specifically to remake Godzilla vs. King Kong...which I dont see the point to but most likely will be fun. My dad loves Kong movies and Godzilla movies (not to mention Planet of the Apes) so the last few years have been heaven for him

Does Kong have a ridiculous bait and switch with an actor like Godzilla did. I was almost in Godzilla as much as Cranston was
            Everyone billed goes on the expedition to Skull Island, so they have their screen time. The script really prevents most of the cast from doing anything with their time though. Bree Larson and Tom Hiddleston are just along for the ride. Their characters don't go anywhere over the 2 hours. John Goodman's character starts out well, doing some heavy lifting in the world building department, but just kind of peeters out as the movie goes along. Sam Jackson plays the kind of B.A.M.F. character you expect Sam Jackson to play. He does have a nice call back to his Jurassic Park character at one point. But paint by the numbers more or less. His character does change if he's given some exposition however, so the seeds are there. They just don't turn out IMO.

This is Kong's movie however, so people like your father won't leave disappointed. They want a giant monkey to steal the show and they get a giant monkey kicking arse.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Rec for linking the two.
              The only reason you like Buckaroo is because the bad guy's resume includes a Clarkson education.

Or was that Remo Williams?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                The only reason you like Buckaroo is because the bad guy's resume includes a Clarkson education.
                Which guy? I think you told me this before.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I am sick of Samuel L. Jackson...the dude is in 75% of the movies that come out now and he literally plays the same guy in each one. Clint Howard has more range
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I am sick of Samuel L. Jackson...the dude is in 75% of the movies that come out now and he literally plays the same guy in each one. Clint Howard has more range
                    Kind of like Liam Neeson in his past half dozen movies?

Liam and Sam have range, but they are now stuck in "character" mode. It sucks.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Buckaroo and Big Trouble are amazing.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Black Snake Moan. He plays an entirely different character than you've seen from Samuel L. Jackson in a very long time.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Black Snake Moan. He plays an entirely different character than you've seen from Samuel L. Jackson in a very long time.
                          That was one messed up, but awesome, movie. And I agree on that role.

Comment

So I heard on the radio today that Eddie Murphy teeeted "coming to America sequel??"

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              So I heard on the radio today that Eddie Murphy teeeted "coming to America sequel??"
                              Escaping from America?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Escaping from America?
                                Prince Akeem: Good morning, my neighbors!
                                Voice: Hey, f-ck you!
                                Prince Akeem: [genuinely happy] Yes, yes! F-ck you too!

That passage always makes homesick for NY.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X