X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 4: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    This one is a doozy, basic facts of what happened are tough to nail down, every article about it tells a completely different story. But a cop definitely unloaded into the back of an unarmed black man who was on the ground.
    http://www.theroot.com/dejuan-guillo...n-a-1796731246
    https://kadn.com/mamou-burglary-ends...ting-one-dead/
    http://penpointnews.com/murder-mamou...utes-father-3/
    I know I often fear for my life when I have a knee in someones back and a gun pointed at him. Of course no jury will convict this criminal...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I know I often fear for my life when I have a knee in someones back and a gun pointed at him. Of course no jury will convict this criminal...
      You mean the girlfriend who is charged with attempted murder of an officer, for biting him on the neck as best as I can tell? Pretty sure she is black, so I can see some jail time for her.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        You mean the girlfriend who is charged with attempted murder of an officer, for biting him on the neck as best as I can tell? Pretty sure she is black, so I can see some jail time for her.
        Oh no she is gonna fry...I meant the real criminal the cop.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Haven't seen this posted yet I don't think http://www.kare11.com/news/video-sho...yard/455375082

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            Haven't seen this posted yet I don't think http://www.kare11.com/news/video-sho...yard/455375082
            More people will care that he shot a dog with little justification than care about the next unarmed black man a cop shoots. Which, by the way, probably happened while you were browsing USCHO today.

99% of all cops will disagree with this, I'm sure. In my opinion the standards for using lethal force should be the same for a cop as they are for a civilian. Yes a cop may get into a situation where use of force is necessary more often than a civilian, but they allegedly also are professionals trained in deescalation tactics and the proper use of lethal force.

It's patently absurd to think that with 1000s of shootings a year -many of them fatal and many of them targeting unarmed victims -- that only a handful deserve criminal prosecution. On top of the lack of prosecution and the near complete likelihood of acquittal in the rare event they are charged, many cops don't even receive job related sanction when they kill someone. Yes some of the shootings are completely justifiable. Others are simply tragic accidents with no animus on the part of the cop and may have been unavoidable. These events deserve no charges or sanctions of course.

The direction this country is heading is going to look a lot uglier than it already does if people don't wake up. Of course I'm white, educated and I usually wear a tie, so what do I care?

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
              More people will care that he shot a dog with little justification than care about the next unarmed black man a cop shoots. Which, by the way, probably happened while you were browsing USCHO today.

99% of all cops will disagree with this, I'm sure. In my opinion the standards for using lethal force should be the same for a cop as they are for a civilian. Yes a cop may get into a situation where use of force is necessary more often than a civilian, but they allegedly also are professionals trained in deescalation tactics and the proper use of lethal force.

It's patently absurd to think that with 1000s of shootings a year -many of them fatal and many of them targeting unarmed victims -- that only a handful deserve criminal prosecution. On top of the lack of prosecution and the near complete likelihood of acquittal in the rare event they are charged, many cops don't even receive job related sanction when they kill someone. Yes some of the shootings are completely justifiable. Others are simply tragic accidents with no animus on the part of the cop and may have been unavoidable. These events deserve no charges or sanctions of course.

The direction this country is heading is going to look a lot uglier than it already does if people don't wake up. Of course I'm white, educated and I usually wear a tie, so what do I care?
              The catch is most cops aren't trained in de-escalation techniques. Many forces view that as unnecessary expense. Use of force training, absolutely, because not following that equals law suits and firings.

There is an anecdote/urban legend about sensors to detect a child left in his or her car seat that parallels this. The sensors have been invented several times over by people after reading stories about kids dying from heat stroke while locked in a car. But the auto manufacturers don't want them because they don't want to be liable in the event the sensor fails. Society as a whole would be better off with the sensors, but the car makers would actually be worse off because then they'd be on the hook for sorting that they currently have no liability for, so they don't do it.

Same kind of thing with de-escalation training. You can't be liable for bad training if you don't offer the training in the first place, especially if it's not industry standard to do so. Society would benefit from cops getting such training, but individual police forces would be worse off.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Same kind of thing with de-escalation training. You can't be liable for bad training if you don't offer the training in the first place, especially if it's not industry standard to do so. Society would benefit from cops getting such training, but individual police forces would be worse off.
                That explains the perverse incentive but not why we allow it to become policy. In the latter case the police only exist to serve us, they have no other valid purpose. It is not in our interests to have cops running around in our neighborhood like Dirty Harry as-shats. We control their budgets and their guidance, we decide.

The power dynamic with police departments has become backwards. The department itself is worth squat if it isn't serving its community.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I understand what people are saying about training but are they just trained to start killing things the second they feel they're in danger? Cause if that's the current model, which it appears to be, than God help us for however we got here.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    I understand what people are saying about training but are they just trained to start killing things the second they feel they're in danger? Cause if that's the current model, which it appears to be, than God help us for however we got here.
                    They are trained, quite properly, that when the time comes to pull the trigger it's to kill. You don't shoot to halt or disarm or wound. Once it has reached that stage, you have entered The End Times.

But they sure don't seem to be trained in any meaningful way to resolve a situation without getting to that point. This is so ubiquitous that it isn't the cops' fault at all, it's their departments or the communities as a whole that give them a gun, pat them on the as-s, and say "so, we're throwing you into harm's way -- good luck out there!" If that's the case, no wonder they start unloading into the first thing they hear on a dark night. It must be terrifying.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      They are trained, quite properly, that when the time comes to pull the trigger it's to kill. You don't shoot to halt or disarm or wound. Once it has reached that stage, you have entered The End Times.

But they sure don't seem to be trained in any meaningful way to resolve a situation without getting to that point. This is so ubiquitous that it isn't the cops' fault at all, it's their departments or the communities as a whole that give them a gun, pat them on the as-s, and say "so, we're throwing you into harm's way -- good luck out there!" If that's the case, no wonder they start unloading into the first thing they hear on a dark night. It must be terrifying.
                      But they won't admit they're trained to kill. They're trained "to stop the threat." It's just coincidence that to stop the threat, they aim at the center of mass where all the vital organs are located.

Corporate double speak has nothing on the criminal justice system. Just like no modern jail has solitary confinement. But they do have SHUs (special housing units), where inmates are left alone for 23 hours per day, aren't supposed to talk to anyone, and otherwise have no outside contact except for the guards and occasionally their attorneys. But that's not solitary confinement...
                      Last edited by unofan; 07-11-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        the police only exist to serve us, they have no other valid purpose. ..... We control their budgets and their guidance, we decide.

The power dynamic with police departments has become backwards. The department itself is worth squat if it isn't serving its community.
                        Um, police departments generally do not exist in order to "serve the community." (except perhaps tangentially)

Ostensibly, they exist to arrest criminals and solve crimes. If, as a result, the community is "served" by these actions, it is a by-product, not an overt purpose.

Implicitly, they exist to protect the rich and powerful from being overrun by rioting mobs when times are hard.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Um, police departments generally do not exist in order to "serve the community." (except perhaps tangentially)

Ostensibly, they exist to arrest criminals and solve crimes. If, as a result, the community is "served" by these actions, it is a by-product, not an overt purpose.

Implicitly, they exist to protect the rich and powerful from being overrun by rioting mobs when times are hard.
                          I understand that the cops are the final resort to protect the enslavement of the poor by the rich, though I am pleasantly surprised even you will admit this.

But yes, the cops don't descend from the heavens, they have a function without which they are at best parasitic and at worst an actual problem. They uphold the laws so that lawful people can go about without being harmed illegally. They also enforce the legal harm inflicted by the wealthy on the poor, hence their status as the praetorian guard of the rich. They are, in other words, domestic soldiers, who do the same thing outside the border.

But the rich were forced to extend the franchise to everyone, hence laws could at least in theory actually protect everyone equally, and part of that would be training the cops to be non-threatening and impartial rather than provocative and biased against the poor. We can actually do that, you and I, well, I anyway, with our votes, and that's what I suggest we aim for.

Part of a just society is having just laws, but part is also having a just process in which state institutions don't perpetuate the systemic harm of inequality. We should aim for that. You can try to keep the cops as guard dogs for the rich -- that's your bag and hey you seem to be winning. But many on my side will actually try to improve things and bring a little sanity to the process. And likely help the cops, too, who under your regime are just an occupying army.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            Um, police departments generally do not exist in order to "serve the community." (except perhaps tangentially).
                            So "To serve and protect" is as accurate a slogan as "Fair and balanced"?

Comment

So "To serve and protect" is as accurate a slogan as "Fair and balanced"?
                              More like "registered independent"
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

But they won't admit they're trained to kill. They're trained "to stop the threat." It's just coincidence that to stop the threat, they aim at the center of mass where all the vital organs are located.

Corporate double speak has nothing on the criminal justice system. Just like no modern jail has solitary confinement. But they do have SHUs (special housing units), where inmates are left alone for 23 hours per day, aren't supposed to talk to anyone, and otherwise have no outside contact except for the guards and occasionally their attorneys. But that's not solitary confinement...
                                They are trained to shoot at the torso because that is the biggest mass of a person's body, and will most likely stop the threat, since there is less chance of missing the shot. It's basic odds. If they were trained to kill (such as snipers) then they'd be going for head shots.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X