Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I think the idea is that making it a right necessarily changes the business model.
    Would it even be a "business" or would it be a giant public charity?
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Charities have business models. Every organization needs revenue and operating models. Call them what you will, they're ostensibly the same.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        However, there is no clearcut right to competent legal counsel.
        You have a specific right to effective counsel (hence the post-conviction relief claim of "ineffective assistance of counsel"). And all licensed attorneys have an ethical duty of competence.

So basically, yeah there is a clear cut right to competent counsel.
        Last edited by unofan; 01-10-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

However, there is no clearcut right to competent legal counsel.

The problem with a "right" to healthcare on the demand side is how do you manage the supply side? Are you going to force doctors to treat people without getting paid for it? If not, where does the money come from? and if there isn't enough money to go around, who decides what patients must be denied which treatments?

Economics 101: wants always exceed available resources; therefore "rationing" is always in play, every time, everywhere, for everyone, always. You can ration by price, you can ration by waiting lists, you can ration by a set of arbitrary standards (i.e., politicians and other rich people always get better care than anyone else), but there must be and always will be rationing in some form or another.
          News flash- this already happens all the time. If you refuse treatment in an ER it is negligence. This is why ERs are inundated with people who have no insurance getting care they should be getting in non urgent settings.. Instead of it happening in the places where it is cheaper- Primary Care offices- it happens in the most expensive places- the ER. When I first started practicing in 1988 the system was mostly self pay or BCBS 80/20 with a smattering of other insurances. Then the HMOs came in. THey started trying to charge really high copays for ER visits and trying to make people get prior authorization for ER visits/ambulance rides etc. It was challenged in court and came down that if the patient felt like it was an emergency then it had to be OK because the pt didn't have medical knowledge to know it wasn't an emergency.

If a person goes to the ER they at least need to be triaged and evaluated before they are sent home. If they need something done emergently then they get it. Ex- you go into the ER for abdominal pain. You have a fever. They must evaluate you- bloodwork, various imaging, treatment if the problem is acute. All this is done either without knowing the pt can pay or knowing they can't. If the person can't pay everyone loses- the hospital and the staff that provided care- no one gets reimbursed. In the end the cost is passed on to everyone who can pay.

I would rather have rationing with things like wait lists for nonurgent things than have to take care of patients who can't afford their medications or can't be seen because they can't pay for a visit.
          Considering the amount of $ we would save if people had access to prevention I would say it would be charity to ourselves.
          Last edited by leswp1; 01-10-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

And here's where I'm ignorant. I don't see doctors unless I have to. If urgent care is open, I go see them. The last two times I was in ER, it was 2, 3am. Not really a choice at that point. Either drove myself or had a driver, no ambulance. Have good insurance; not the super best, but good. Basically, I go to what is minimal and what is open at the time. Is that the best option for that decision given my choices?
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              And here's where I'm ignorant. I don't see doctors unless I have to. If urgent care is open, I go see them. The last two times I was in ER, it was 2, 3am. Not really a choice at that point. Either drove myself or had a driver, no ambulance. Have good insurance; not the super best, but good. Basically, I go to what is minimal and what is open at the time. Is that the best option for that decision given my choices?
              In some urban areas, they have 24-hour urgent care centers as an alternative to hospital ER.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

This is a HUGE gear grinder. We used to get health insurance discounts with biometric screening - if you met certain numbers, you got the discount (not perfect - but, whatever).

Now they've instituted a new program. You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day. When you do this, you are rewarded with points that convert to discounts on your health insurance. You can take challenges with your team! Share your activities! It's fun!

The brochure they mailed our suggests that we "take time for ourselves" to do this. I don't have time for this **** when I'm at work because I'm BUSY DOING MY JOB AND SUPPORTING OUR CLIENTS, so now I have to spend extra time on social media, in my free time, for this? Are you ****ing kidding? How is that healthy? If I "take time for myself", it's not in front of a phone or a computer, after I sit in front of a computer for 10 hours a day.

Are you really at a gym if you don't take a selfie? Did you really work out if you don't post about it on social media? If it's not on your Fitbit, did you really do it? This is the worst idea they've had in a long time and it was obviously designed by someone who spends every ****ing waking hour on social media.
                Last edited by jen; 01-11-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  This is a HUGE gear grinder. We used to get health insurance discounts with biometric screening - if you met certain numbers, you got the discount (not perfect - but, whatever).

Now they've instituted a new program. You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day. When you do this, you are rewarded with points that convert to discounts on your health insurance. You can take challenges with your team! Share your activities! It's fun!

The brochure they mailed our suggests that we "take time for ourselves" to do this. I don't have time for this **** when I'm at work because I'm BUSY DOING MY JOB AND SUPPORTING OUR CLIENTS, so now I have to spend extra time on social media, in my free time, for this? Are you ****ing kidding? How is that healthy? If I "take time for myself", it's not in front of a phone or a computer, after I sit in front of a computer for 10 hours a day.

Are you really at a gym if you don't take a selfie? Did you really work out if you don't post about it on social media? If it's not on your Fitbit, did you really do it? This is the worst idea they've had in a long time and it was obviously designed by someone who spends every ****ing waking hour on social media.
                  As the old saying goes, "pics or it didn't happen."

Comment

You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day.
                    Cool.
                    Do that.
                    It'll take me under a week to find patterns.
                    Got any nice stuff at your place I can "pick up" when you're required to inform me you're not home but instead at the gym?

And that's why "status updates" on social media are completely stupid. "I'm having blueberry pancakes at IHOP!" ... yeah, and someone is now sure you're not home so they're going in to take whatever they want.

I guess "status updates" are my gear grinder. They are stupid, just stupid. My neighbors are of the generation that does them. I've told them they need to let me follow them so I know when they're out of town and to be suspicious of that strange car in the neighborhood.
                    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM.
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

This is a lot of companies’ plans now.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post

This is doing wonders for your blood pressure.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Now they've instituted a new program. You have to register online, and then track your activities/moods/every ****ing thing, and put it all on some website, every single day. When you do this, you are rewarded with points that convert to discounts on your health insurance

My inference is that the insurance company has outsourced the work to some 3rd-party service provider and so the requirements are set up for the convenience of said service provider. They want you to upload Fitbit records to their website for economies of scale on their end; they can run some database program fairly inexpensively and provide reports to the insurance company.

Our insurance isn't quite that intrusive but we do have to prove that we comply with certain testing and screening requirements each year or else the premium gets jacked up. The 3rd-party service provider doesn't really do much work; it is on us to provide all the required documentation to them.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            This is a lot of companies’ plans now.
                            Plus, once you get to Fifteen Million Merits you can really make your life better.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              This is doing wonders for your blood pressure.
                              I should ask how many points I get for improving my mental well-being and deleting my account.

Comment

I should ask how many points I get for improving my mental well-being and deleting my account.
                                Post pictures of you sitting on your couch in a bathrobe, eating Cheetos, and watching tv.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X