The thread for birds and birding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The thread for birds and birding

In case any birders on here are interested, a couple relatives of mine have been on the team developing Merlin, the new bird ID app from Cornell's Lab of Ornithology. Apple only for now, Android later this year.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      In case any birders on here are interested, a couple relatives of mine have been on the team developing Merlin, the new bird ID app from Cornell's Lab of Ornithology. Apple only for now, Android later this year.
      I will be downloading that for sure!

I saw a canyon wren a few days ago. I actually had to identify it based mainly on the call. It was perched on a boulder and calling but I could only really see a silhouette. I was fairly certain it was a wren based on size and shape. Figured out a few possible birds it could be based on local and habitat and then listened to calls. The canyon wren has a pretty distinct call thankfully.

Comment

Lynah - thanks for that info. Will check out today. ProudtobaLaker - have to go to Maine this morning and am stopping in York as there was a Golden Eagle spotted there yesterday. Apparently has been seen a few times. Would be a nice to get for this area.

Comment

I got the app and it's pretty good. Just did 3 days of birding in the Tampa bay area. some great birds. 54 species in all. My favorites were the bald eagle, the tufted titmouse, and the tricolored heron. Him and 50 alligators all in one park.

I've tried the Nat geo app and the Audubon society one and I like the Audubon one better.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            saw half a dozen robins on Friday. First time we've seen any robins about since November.
            The Robins have been around here for about 3 weeks, but they have been quiet, I suspect because of the frickin cold. Walked the dog this morning in warmer temps, and the Robins were having at it. Feels good to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              The Robins have been around here for about 3 weeks, but they have been quiet, I suspect because of the frickin cold. Walked the dog this morning in warmer temps, and the Robins were having at it. Feels good to hear them.
              Woke up to a robin singing outside my window this AM. It was nice to hear.
              Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Just saw an Indigo Bunting out in the backyard in the low, bare branches of a wisteria bush. Haven't seen one in years. He perched there motionless for quite some time and now is gone from my sight, probably for another long period of years. Handsome, beautiful bird.
                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                  Just saw an Indigo Bunting out in the backyard in the low, bare branches of a wisteria bush. Haven't seen one in years. He perched there motionless for quite some time and now is gone from my sight, probably for another long period of years. Handsome, beautiful bird.
                  We get a couple of these beauties every year around this time, usually for a few weeks. Sadly, they have yet to show this year. I hope they show because that blue is simply unmatched.
                  "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

I live in west central Mn. I'm not much of a "birder" but I always have quite a variety of feeders and food for the birds. From around April until August the variety and traffic of birds is very impressive. Then in August or so it turns off and rarely a bird shows up until Spring. Even in the dead of winter my feeders sit full with not one visitor. Odd.
                    sigpic

Comment

Picked up a nice yard birrd for ManchVegas on Sunday - a Blue-winged warbler. Picked up 17 species of warblers yesterday on a trip to Plum Island, MA. One of the biggest migration days I have ever seen there.

Comment

Saw two pileated woodpeckers on Saturday while out turkey hunting with my kid.

Comment

Holy Crap!

Three freaking orioles just landed on a planter outside on my deck about 10 feet from me. Never seen one before although I know they pass through here.

Can I get the ****ing camera in time? Course not.

Oh well, still cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Holy Crap!

Three freaking orioles just landed on a planter outside on my deck about 10 feet from me. Never seen one before although I know they pass through here.

Can I get the ****ing camera in time? Course not.

Oh well, still cool.
                            Get some grape jelly in a feeder out there, and you'll have them regularly. Every year we have about six of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
                              Get some grape jelly in a feeder out there, and you'll have them regularly. Every year we have about six of them.

What sort of feeder?

I just put out some in an orange cereal bowl, but I'm concerned that the bowl may be too deep.

EDIT: Was jam as I don't have jelly. Will that work?
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-13-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                What sort of feeder?

I just put out some in an orange cereal bowl, but I'm concerned that the bowl may be too deep.

EDIT: Was jam as I don't have jelly. Will that work?
                                We use this feeder, which I know is usually available from Mounds, but anything similar will do.

http://www.amazon.com/Droll-Yankees-...rm+bird+feeder

They'll perch right on the edge, and they're very sloppy eaters, with big goobers of jelly hanging from their beaks. I can't tell you if there's a difference between jam and jelly where orioles are concerned. I only know that all the literature I've seen says to use jelly.

Comment

Working...
                                X