Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Re: aging:

I did not mis-represent your comments, DX. In fact, I showed them the post(s) in question; they all had read the article also. And you accusing me of "crying to Armadillo" is pretty funny.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Age anything with a cork on its side, for sure. Or else you risk the cork drying out and the seal being lost.

I age my beer with caps upright, mostly just because that is what the shelves I have make easiest. I figure its going to oxidize either way, and that's just part of aging. I'm more interested in the actions of residual yeast of live beers over time than oxidation.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I don’t intentionally age my beers. I just buy too much and drink too little, or wait for a reason to drink.
      I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
        I don’t intentionally age my beers. I just buy too much and drink too little, or wait for a reason to drink.
        This.

Comment

This is the same for me. Plus, no cellar's in Florida

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            This is the same for me. Plus, no cellar's in Florida
            You can use a fridge, but it will just age slower, since it's colder than a cellar.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              You can use a fridge, but it will just age slower, since it's colder than a cellar.
              Ya, that's where my "storage" is. Slowly reducing the supply so I can go get some new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                Ya, that's where my "storage" is. Slowly reducing the supply so I can go get some new stuff.
                That's kind of what I have going on, since I need, you know, food and stuff.

I have a section of "aging" beers, beers I would could drink whenever (age or not, depends on my mood), then my "walkin' around beers" (stuff that I'll just drink), and right now a little section of beers I'm holding onto for people. In this case, bbdl (I have 5 bottles for him, currently).

For you MNs, Clown Shoes Itasca Loonidragon Part 2 just came out. They added cocoa nibs for Part 2. It's tasty. MN exclusive, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  I figure its going to oxidize either way, and that's just part of aging. I'm more interested in the actions of residual yeast of live beers over time than oxidation.
                  This is what I've heard, and when you think about it makes the most sense. I don't think either side is wrong in regards to oxidation.

I haven't aged many beers, mostly because I don't really have the funds to buy enough of them to make it a worthwhile hobby for me. I buy beer and drink the dang beer.

I've read up and researched beer plenty though, eagerly awaiting the moment when I can begin the ridiculous obsession that it no doubt will be with me. I like the school of thought that says "Vertical v Horizontal: Age two of the same beer, one in each direction. Which did you like more? Do that." Exception being corks, as you stated.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Corked is a good point. I'm actually afraid of aging corked beers for that reason. Conflicting storage methods. Cork (wine, traditionally) vs capped (vertical).

Did pick up a Dogfish Head 120 IPA tonight, on the way to Biddy's shindig. Sat a few months at the store, and ended up talking with the manager about beer. He noticed my purchase, and admitted he wondered who would buy it. Tasted amazing. Unfortunately, he's either a bad manager or has bad reps, because he knowingly has old beer on his shelves (too old). Here's a hint: a wheat beer on a warm shelf will not taste good after 2-3 years.

And this is a fairly big name store in these parts. I won't out them completely, but it's in the area of 63rd and Boone, for the locals.

Comment

Autumnal Molé Stout by Ska Brewing.

Different. Never really had a beer with any kind of heat. You can really smell the peppers. The pepper flavor comes on at the end though. The heat just builds and it's all there for the finish. Very interesting. Probably not something I'd seek out regularly, but it's a very unique flavor profile.
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Not impressed by Ska. For pepper beers try Dragon's Milk Chiles if you can find it. Thai Chili Wahoo by Ballast Point is solid, too.

Comment

Started today with some RumChata in my coffee, followed by a Bell’s Arabicadabra with breakfast. Atwater’s Raspberry VJP and some Rubaeus while putting together the cinnamon roll dough. Nice glass of cab with dinner. Sam’s chocolate bock to finish off this evening.

More of the same tomorrow...
                          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Started today with some RumChata in my coffee, followed by a Bell’s Arabicadabra with breakfast. Atwater’s Raspberry VJP and some Rubaeus while putting together the cinnamon roll dough. Nice glass of cab with dinner. Sam’s chocolate bock to finish off this evening.

More of the same tomorrow...
                            That Arabicadabra is pretty good. Can't find it anymore. Pretty sure it would be a considered a "shelfie whale."

Comment

Christmas Eve with Sip of Sunshine from Lawson’s Finest Liquids.

Truly one of Vermont’s best IPAs.

Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

Working...
                              X