X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress: On Permanent Vacation

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This. And FFS appoint/nominate a woman. Symbols matter.
    I dunno...that might be seen as pandering. (especially since Klobuchar is the senior Senator) Nominate someone who will win no matter the gender.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I dunno...that might be seen as pandering. (especially since Klobuchar is the senior Senator) Nominate someone who will win no matter the gender.
      I mean from a pool of qualified and strong candidates, yes.

Appointing a woman in place of a man who resigned because he groped woman is a very good signal, not just for the party but for society, that this sh-t's not going to be tolerated anymore. Orcs gonna orc, we can't help that. But the 65% of the country with a moral conscience can send the right message.
      Last edited by Kepler; 12-07-2017, 12:13 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If Dayton appoints a woman, she'd be the 51st woman to serve in the Senate.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          If Dayton appoints a woman, she'd be the 51st woman to serve in the Senate.
          But not at once, unfortunately.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Interesting. They should avoid the placeholder and nominate someone who will run. If the coming Dem wave is real the GOP has almost no shot at that seat. The MNGOP bench is very thin.
            Can't do that from what I heard yesterday on MSNBC's 11th Hour. They said the caretaker of the seat signs a pledge to not run. Not sure if that's law or what Dayton is asking.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Interesting. They should avoid the placeholder and nominate someone who will run. If the coming Dem wave is real the GOP has almost no shot at that seat. The MNGOP bench is very thin.
              Kurt Daudt has a megaboner for Paul Ryan. He wants to go national at some point. He is basically Paul Ryan 20 years ago. Though, his eyes are probably set on Dayton's office for now.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Can't do that from what I heard yesterday on MSNBC's 11th Hour. They said the caretaker of the seat signs a pledge to not run. Not sure if that's law or what Dayton is asking.
                I am seeing no such restriction in any research I have done.

Pioneer Press

A special election would be held in November of 2018 — the same time Minnesotans will be voting for governor and the state’s other Senate seat, held by U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar. The Dayton appointee need not run for re-election at that time. He or she could be a short-time placeholder.

The winner of the special election would serve out the remainder of Franken’s term — until January 2021 — and face re-election in November 2020, thus restoring the six-year cycle of Senate seats.
                Maybe Dayton wants that but I am pretty sure he doesnt have the power to compel them to sign away their right to run for re-election. He can MAYBE have his Lt. Governor pledge not to run in 2018 but even that would be dubious.

Sorry but I dont trust MSNBC to get anything like that correct.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

They were citing the Strib as a source IIRC
                  Code:

Comment

They were citing the Strib as a source IIRC
                    Yeah then they are reading the story wrong. According to the Strib the Lt. Gov wont run in 2018 which is why she is taking the position. Dayton wont appoint anyone who will refuse to run in 2018. (and he has zero power to stop them) She is the caretaker and whoever runs in 2018 (if they win) will run again in 2020 for re-election.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I keep seeing McCollum’s name come up, and I guess I like her, but for the rest of the state she does nothing. Her district would be a guaranteed D even without her.

I’d still rather have someone who could carry Hennipen and Ramsey with strong numbers.
                      Code:

Comment

I keep seeing McCollum’s name come up, and I guess I like her, but for the rest of the state she does nothing. Her district would be a guaranteed D even without her.

I’d still rather have someone who could carry Hennipen and Ramsey with strong numbers.
                        Ellison's name was tossed about this morning, too. He'd bring in Mpls and St. Paul, but have a tough campaign outside the Metro.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Does anyone think this "Franken, Conyers" strategy is going to work? 53% of white women voted for a ***** grabber. This gambit changes nothing.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Kurt Daudt has a megaboner for Paul Ryan. He wants to go national at some point. He is basically Paul Ryan 20 years ago. Though, his eyes are probably set on Dayton's office for now.
                            Daudt, I think, is waiting to see how the Dem primary shakes out before deciding on a run for governor. If it's Coleman, I think he runs because that's an easy us vs. them campaign that he could possibly win. If it's Walz, I think he waits for a better opportunity(possibly running for the Senate seat.)

I'd really like to see Rebecca Otto pull her gubernatorial campaign and instead focus on a run for Senator.
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              Daudt, I think, is waiting to see how the Dem primary shakes out before deciding on a run for governor. If it's Coleman, I think he runs because that's an easy us vs. them campaign that he could possibly win. If it's Walz, I think he waits for a better opportunity(possibly running for the Senate seat.)

I'd really like to see Rebecca Otto pull her gubernatorial campaign and instead focus on a run for Senator.
                              No matter what happens we can be sure the Democrats will screw it up.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Ellison's name was tossed about this morning, too. He'd bring in Mpls and St. Paul, but have a tough campaign outside the Metro.
                                He'd get killed outside of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Even outside the 494/694 loop he'd be a tough sell. Duluth might be the only other district that would go for him. Maybe.

He's not a classic pragmatic Minnesota DFLer. He's a Sanders-level progressive liberal. That doesn't sell well at all outside of the Cities. Names I've seen that I like:

Chris Coleman
                                Lori Swanson
                                Tim Walz
                                Rebecca Otto (Maize's suggestion I hadn't seen elsewhere; I like this one a LOT. She's a lot like Klobuchar.)

Names I hate:
                                Betsy Hodges
                                Keith Ellison

One thing to remember:
                                REMEMBER THE ‘MINNESOTA MASSACRE’
                                They remember the “Minnesota Massacre” of 1978. Like today, three Democrats held the offices of governor and the two U.S. Senate seats. In 1976, Sen. Walter Mondale was elected vice president with President Jimmy Carter. Gov. Wendell Anderson essentially appointed himself to fill Mondale’s vacancy. Anderson resigned as governor, knowing that Lt. Gov. Rudy Perpich would become governor and appoint Anderson, which is what happened. Then Anderson ran in the 1978 election to retain Mondale’s Senate seat.

Voters didn’t dig that maneuver. Republicans swept all three formerly Democratic seats, with Al Quie becoming governor, Rudy Boschwitz taking one Senate seat, and David Durenberger taking the other. It should be noted that while Boschwitz beat Anderson and his ill-advised play, there was a placeholder in the mix that year: Muriel Humphrey. Sen. Hubert Humphrey died in 1978. Perpich appointed his widow, Muriel, who did not run in the election. Durenberger defeated DFL nominee Bob Short in a special election for Humphrey’s seat. So in 1978, both options were employed, and neither worked.
                                From the Pioneer Press.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X