Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Importance of Being Ernst

KDiff_- Congrats on your 6th place IN ECAC Tournament Picks!! I was going to ask if you wanted to place a friendly wager with me on as to whom would do better - season ticket for 2017-2018 - but never got around to emailing you in time.

Comment

Coaching salaries at Brown - An article in the Albany TU a few days ago mentioned that Quinnipiac BB was interested in SUNYA's BB coach with a salary offer of $800,000. I had heard that Brown football icon James Perry's salary at Bryant will greatly exceed Phil Estes' salary at Brown. Anyone have information as to how Brown's salaries for its coaches compares with the other Ivy League schools?

Comment

Originally posted by logan View Post
        The students that decomitted did it with obvious reasons - coaching. .
        And then there are students whose IQ is so low that they can't make the Academic Index... In that case, they can always go a school with more "flexible" standards, play for a year, not go to classes, and then leave for the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by eschnairsohn View Post
          Sitting Tyler Wood throughout season, probably your best defensive defenseman
          Are you out of your mind?

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            This should resonate with everyone who regularly posts on this board (and those who don't, but who attend and watch the games and are invested in the success of the program). We need to have our voices heard. At the very least, we can try emailing the AD. If enough people sound off, they'll have to address it - at least internally - at some point.

Smearing Brendan Whittet online won't fix anything. He's a mere symptom of a far larger and more poisonous problem: administrative apathy/neglect. Yes, we need to replace him as head coach, but he's certainly not entirely responsible for this mess.
            The problems between our two schools is scary. It will be interesting to see how we both move forward.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

RPI and Niagara have fired their coaches. If Brown was going to do the same, we would've heard something by now. Disappointing, but hardly unexpected.

Comment

I see you recently picked up a commitment from Tony Stillwell who was a former Wisconsin commit, I will say from my view this is a really good class, Berger, Burston, Maloney, Mehr, Taylor on forward is a very deep class up front, Burston had a really nice year and has really nice vision, Berger and Mehr are having solid years in the USHL and should be able to be in the lineup from day one, Maloney is having a great year in Janesville at almost a point per game in the NAHL, Taylor struggled to crack the Tri-City lineup but was a solid power forward for Nanaimo. If all of these guys do intend to get on campus this year you toss in a really smooth skating Stillwell and a real tough guy to play against in Dawson it probably will end up being the most complete class I can remember for Brown. I will say I'm interested to see if Kania will push Nieto in net but this Brown team should be much improved from last season if upperclassmen continue to take steps. I will say I think it will be an interesting year for Whittet because the talent on the roster with the juniors turning seniors and a few other recruits that haven't quite lived up to potential along with the best class he has brought in depth wise the pressure should be on. No offense to the senior class as they have done what they need to do and have earned their degrees but Doane at 7 points in 25 games, Middleton at 5 points in 31 games, Pryzebeck at 2 points in 31 games, Rossi 7 games 0 points and Wood 15 games 1 point. Senior production is key even from role guys, I think Brown will get home ice next season so don't let me down.
                Last edited by techtodenver; 04-01-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I sure hope you're right, tech. Agreed that last year's senior class did not have any game-changers. I've been growing cautiously optimistic about the incoming class as well as I've read more about each player, but I certainly don't want to set any expectations after the last three seasons (and especially the most recent one).

I'll expect the worst but hope for the best. Nowhere to go but up.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                    I see you recently picked up a commitment from Tony Stillwell who was a former Wisconsin commit, I will say from my view this is a really good class, Berger, Burston, Maloney, Mehr, Taylor on forward is a very deep class up front, Burston had a really nice year and has really nice vision, Berger and Mehr are having solid years in the USHL and should be able to be in the lineup from day one, Maloney is having a great year in Janesville at almost a point per game in the NAHL, Taylor struggled to crack the Tri-City lineup but was a solid power forward for Nanaimo. If all of these guys do intend to get on campus this year you toss in a really smooth skating Stillwell and a real tough guy to play against in Dawson it probably will end up being the most complete class I can remember for Brown. I will say I'm interested to see if Kania will push Nieto in net but this Brown team should be much improved from last season if upperclassmen continue to take steps. I will say I think it will be an interesting year for Whittet because the talent on the roster with the juniors turning seniors and a few other recruits that haven't quite lived up to potential along with the best class he has brought in depth wise the pressure should be on. No offense to the senior class as they have done what they need to do and have earned their degrees but Doane at 7 points in 25 games, Middleton at 5 points in 31 games, Pryzebeck at 2 points in 31 games, Rossi 7 games 0 points and Wood 15 games 1 point. Senior production is key even from role guys, I think Brown will get home ice next season so don't let me down.
                    Nice to see Brendan doing well on the recruiting. It seems to me to be a good sign that Brown can get a Wisconsin recruit.

Comment

KDiff: We need to get a life - posting at the same time on a Saturday morning on the brown thread
                      Last edited by Mike Hutter; 04-02-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Stillwell should be a good pickup.

I'm still not sure why Granato and Oz didn't want him this year.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                          KDiff: We need to get a life - posting at the same time on a Saturday morning on the brown thread
                          Ha! That's funny. I didn't even notice that until now.

It's a big weekend for our ol' pals Harvard! I'm finding it hard to root against them, despite my predisposition to do exactly that. It's always good to see other Ivies succeed; gives us hope! Also, that team is incredibly fun to watch and has a legit chance to beat any of the other three in Chicago.

Re: Stillwell - I'm surprised he didn't end up at another B1G or NCHC school, Exile. Seems like an odd trajectory to go from a big-time athletics school to an Ivy (and especially one with Brown's status and commitment to the sport). I'm certainly not complaining, though. Whittet has always been able to land good recruits, and that apparently hasn't changed. Now he just needs to develop them into good hockey players and establish an effective system...

Should be a piece of cake, right?

Comment

2017-18 Captains:

Captain: Josh McArdle
                            Assistant Captains: Sam Lafferty, Tyler Bird

http://brownbears.com/sports/m-hocke...20170406i0z7qm

Well-deserved for each of these players. Despite their class' poor results on the ice, these are three good hockey players who have given Brown everything for three years. I hope they're able to go out on a high note with a competitive senior season. Lafferty, at least, looks like he has a pro future after averaging about a point per game this past season.

Comment

Mike, Blashill said Lorito will be called up to Detroit to finish out the season.
                              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Call me a Brown Bear optimist but I wouldn't sleep on the 2017-2018 version. This much is certain, I know some very proud very good hockey players who are tired of being pushed around. Are we Lions or Sheep? Go BRUNO

Comment

Working...
                                X