Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DIII game notes

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
    He'll be down to one Canadian on the team for next year. What's happening to Canadian content at the DIII level?
    As the dad of a Canadian playing DIII, I can tell you that the exchange isn't helping. CIS hockey is getting better and better and you can go to school in Canada for about $18k CDN (tuition/room/board). I know of a couple of girls that were borderline DI and when they didn't make it decided to stay in Canada. In our case, the dollar at $0.75 is about as low as we can go. If it gets any worse we would have to reconsider staying in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
      As the dad of a Canadian playing DIII, I can tell you that the exchange isn't helping. CIS hockey is getting better and better and you can go to school in Canada for about $18k CDN (tuition/room/board). I know of a couple of girls that were borderline DI and when they didn't make it decided to stay in Canada. In our case, the dollar at $0.75 is about as low as we can go. If it gets any worse we would have to reconsider staying in the U.S.
      Interesting....it's nice that the CIS finally got its head out of the sand and is now giving students a very attractive alternative. And the hockey is steadily improving, while DIII continues to get watered down with all these new schools entering the fray.

Comment

Curious, can you elaborate what about the CIS is getting better? Just more ladies staying home thus higher quality of players or is something else going on? Is the exchange rate encouraging more good players to stay home thus making the CIS better which perpetually builds it as a better place to play or is something else about the CIS improving making it more attractive when combined with the exchange rate?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
          Curious, can you elaborate what about the CIS is getting better? Just more ladies staying home thus higher quality of players or is something else going on? Is the exchange rate encouraging more good players to stay home thus making the CIS better which perpetually builds it as a better place to play or is something else about the CIS improving making it more attractive when combined with the exchange rate?
          The biggest difference is that the CIS now offers scholarships that they didn't offer a few years ago. This, combined with the exchange rate, and the "play at home" factor are strong incentives to play in Canada. This can only strengthen quality of play.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
            The biggest difference is that the CIS now offers scholarships that they didn't offer a few years ago. This, combined with the exchange rate, and the "play at home" factor are strong incentives to play in Canada. This can only strengthen quality of play.
            Actually the scholarship is a bit of a red herring. The schools are now allowed to offer money but most schools can't afford to actually hand it out.
            The cost of attending a DIII school in the US (even with some academic money you're still looking at about $20-$25k US/ year) versus a Canadian education that can be had for $16k-$20k CDN is a big, defining difference.
            Another big sticking point is getting your degree recognized when you come back. Too many horror stories of girls going to the US for 4 years and coming back with a degree that isn't recognized in Canada.
            A few Canadian schools have figured this out and are starting to bring in better coaches and develop programs that are more similar to a DIII experience. I see this trend increasing over the next few years unless the exchange rate pops up over $0.80. Then parents can justify the difference in their minds.
            My daughter always wanted to go to the US for hockey so we figured out 2 things:
            1.The degree must be recognized in Canada (not a concern in her field)
            2. Mom and I set a total amount that we would pay per year. She understands how much extra it will cost her and has accepted that. Most of it will be covered through her summer jobs but she will have some student debt when she graduates (probably no more than $20k).
            She decided that it was worth it to pursue her dream.
            Completely understand that some folks will think we're nuts but that was our family conversation and it works for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
              Actually the scholarship is a bit of a red herring. The schools are now allowed to offer money but most schools can't afford to actually hand it out.
              The cost of attending a DIII school in the US (even with some academic money you're still looking at about $20-$25k US/ year) versus a Canadian education that can be had for $16k-$20k CDN is a big, defining difference.
              Another big sticking point is getting your degree recognized when you come back. Too many horror stories of girls going to the US for 4 years and coming back with a degree that isn't recognized in Canada.
              A few Canadian schools have figured this out and are starting to bring in better coaches and develop programs that are more similar to a DIII experience. I see this trend increasing over the next few years unless the exchange rate pops up over $0.80. Then parents can justify the difference in their minds.
              My daughter always wanted to go to the US for hockey so we figured out 2 things:
              2. Mom and I set a total amount that we would pay per year. She understands how much extra it will cost her and has accepted that. Most of it will be covered through her summer jobs but she will have some student debt when she graduates (probably no more than $20k).
              Completely understand that some folks will think we're nuts but that was our family conversation and it works for us.
              I'm curious. What degrees are not recognized in Canada?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Great explanation. And here I thought it was NCAA protectionism a la Donald Trump (and maybe it is to a certain degree). My D graduated with a degree (and a couple of Nattys to boot) and now works in her field of choice in the CDN Federal Government system, so for her, (other than the debt) it worked out great.
                Last edited by SeymoreHockey; 02-16-2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Great explanation. And here I thought it was NCAA protectionism a la Donald Trump (and maybe it is to a certain degree). My D graduated with a degree (and a couple of Nattys to boot) and now works in her field of choice in the CDN Federal Government system, so for her, (other than the debt) it worked out great.
                  NCAA protectionism??

Perhaps a better answer is that people finally woke up and realized that there is no justification for providing US funds [e.g. federal, state or private scholarship or grant money] to Canadians so that they can come here and play D3 girls hockey. Honestly, what's the point? That same money [which is generally either US taxpayer money or donations to the school by US alumni] could and would be better spent on American families who are struggling to make ends meet and send their kids to college.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                    NCAA protectionism??

Perhaps a better answer is that people finally woke up and realized that there is no justification for providing US funds [e.g. federal, state or private scholarship or grant money] to Canadians so that they can come here and play D3 girls hockey. Honestly, what's the point? That same money [which is generally either US taxpayer money or donations to the school by US alumni] could and would be better spent on American families who are struggling to make ends meet and send their kids to college.
                    To build the women's game using Canadian talent, maybe? To spark interest, which leads to participation, which leads to growth, which leads to higher quality, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                      NCAA protectionism??

All the money my daughter is getting is based on: 1. Being an international student (offered to anyone whether they play hockey or not) and 2. Her academic performance. We do not get any financial aid. Maybe other schools get "creative" with funding but not hers.

As for the earlier question about what degrees aren't recognized: at least a few girls have taken education degrees that need significant tweaking when they get back across the border. Typically another year or two of courses to make sure the requirements "match up".

Comment

• Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                        As for the earlier question about what degrees aren't recognized: at least a few girls have taken education degrees that need significant tweaking when they get back across the border. Typically another year or two of courses to make sure the requirements "match up".
                        That makes sense. Even on this side of the border, if I get a teaching certification in one state, many other states will require that I do courses or tests before transferring my certification.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                          That makes sense. Even on this side of the border, if I get a teaching certification in one state, many other states will require that I do courses or tests before transferring my certification.
                          No doubt this isn't just a "Canadian" issue but when you're already paying a 30-40% premium on the cost of university due to the exchange it tends to get highlighted even more. You wouldn't believe the discussions and arguments happening in arenas all over Ontario about the pros and cons of going south of the border to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                            NCAA protectionism??

Scholarships are not paid with tax money. The majority of scholarships come from endowment funds, which are donations to the school. The school I went to had a tuition waiver program, where any out of state resident, which included Canadians and Sri Lankans, had the out of state tuition waived and were only charged in state tuition. But again, that program was set up through a government assistance program and I believe was allowed at all state schools. That isn't a "scholarship" however. Furthermore, in general it helps the college to be able to show that it gets students from all over the world, which makes it more notable, and draws in more students from out of state.

My parents struggled to make ends meet, I had to pay for my own college (- the scholarships I received for being smart) and I feel no ill will towards the hockey players who came from Canada on tuition waivers. Many of whom are also US citizens now, as well.
                            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

To build the women's game using Canadian talent, maybe? To spark interest, which leads to participation, which leads to growth, which leads to higher quality, perhaps?
                              "to build the women's game using Canadian talent"...ok, first of all, there is no difference in talent between US and Canada. Second, take the myopic lens off...there are bigger and better uses of financial aid $$ that "building the women's game"...like assisting needy US students and families pay for college perhaps??...with the emphasis on "student" rather than sports participant.

Comment

The only people who feel ill will towards Canadian / Foreign students are the parents of Susie who had her spot on the roster and or playing time taken by Jenny from Mississauga Ontario...

The State and US government could save hundreds of times more in many other areas than allowing kids to get an EDUCATION at the SAME COST (not cheaper) than a US student. The money spent and or saved in foreign student education is so small compared to other things the government wastes its money on.

And yes, women's hockey in Canada is deeper and better overall than US. Get over it. The US has some great players yes, but the hockey pool is larger, deeper and overall better in Canada.
                                Remy Babineaux
                                remyb616@gmail.com
                                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                                X