Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
    The good news about the blizzard is it warmed up today. I wore my light jacket today; it was 12F when I got to work. It felt pretty nice. My face didn’t hurt on my walk in. Eventually it got up to the high 20s. After we get dumped on it’s supposed to drop back down to zero (real, not with wind chill) for the weekend (when I want to be out skiing in the new snow)
    Some weird situations in Boston area due to the blizzard following extremely cold weather. We've got "slurpee waves" and ice shrapnel. Needless to say, there are folks out sightseeing and surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      were you writing a manifesto?
      I was better at cutting wood than writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Plus, they never learn what I learned my first winter in Ithaca trudging up Libe Slope in a f-cking lateral snow storm: the Paul Atreides Technique. Don't stiffen up but let the cold just pass through you like you're not there. Relaxing into the frigid cold was highly counter-intuitive when I first thought to do it, but it's my secret, anyway: don't fight the cold; join it.*

This has been your Moment of Zen.

* Though this may also be how people die of hypothermia.
        That's exactly what I do. Just relax and let it go. I have no idea if it's complete bullsh|t, but if I had to guess it has to do with your muscles tensing up and your blood being restricted. Doesn't give a chance for your body to heat itself.

I think your comment at the end probably isn't too far from the truth either.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          I just remember a few years back when we had an arctic blast of winter that lasted for a week or so. In the middle of that arctic blast we received some snow. The meteorologists were all on the air explaining that the old axiom "too cold to snow" is simply not a real thing. While it's rare to get snow during -20F weather, it's not impossible, and that there is a history of it.
          That's exactly right. Air can hold an asston of water. But it decreases exponentially as you approach absolute zero. I think at around -20 or -30 you can hold something like .2 lb of water per x,000 cubic feet of air. That might not be a lot relative to water capacity at 100 degF, but it's still something. The biggest thing is that you also have strata of air pockets. Look at a sounding diagram and you can see that the air above the ground can be warmer and more humid than the surface temperature. As the strata mix or exchange energy and water, snow can easily happen even if you're at a very low surface humidity.

More on soundings: Link

ETA: This is why I have learned to really like advanced weather sites that go beyond "Here's our custom 'Feels Like' temperature that scales from 'It's a *** bit nipply' to 'Oh dear...'"

Shut up and give me the numbers. A good way to know a good site from a bad site is whether they give you humidity in relative humidity or dewpoint. If you get RH, find a new site.

There are also more advanced variables like CAPE, lifted index, CIN, and many more that can give you a far better idea of what's coming and the potential than "Looks like ran, Hal"
          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-04-2018, 10:30 AM.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            That's exactly right. Air can hold an asston of water. But it decreases exponentially as you approach absolute zero. I think at around -20 or -30 you can hold something like .2 lb of water per x,000 cubic feet of air. That might not be a lot relative to water capacity at 100 degF, but it's still something. The biggest thing is that you also have strata of air pockets. Look at a sounding diagram and you can see that the air above the ground can be warmer and more humid than the surface temperature. As the strata mix or exchange energy and water, snow can easily happen even if you're at a very low surface humidity.

More on soundings: Link

ETA: This is why I have learned to really like advanced weather sites that go beyond "Here's our custom 'Feels Like' temperature that scales from 'It's a *** bit nipply' to 'Oh dear...'"

Shut up and give me the numbers. A good way to know a good site from a bad site is whether they give you humidity in relative humidity or dewpoint. If you get RH, find a new site.

There are also more advanced variables like CAPE, lifted index, CIN, and many more that can give you a far better idea of what's coming and the potential than "Looks like ran, Hal"
            What sites do you use? It used to be you could get the raw numbers from the news broadcasts and newspapers, but they've dumbed down their content over the past 20 years.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

starting to look like Hoth outside. It's coming down pretty hard, but nice large fluffy flakes. It's beautiful out my window right now. The wind isn't too bad yet, but it's high tide and the high surf is causing some problems. My buddy lives across the street from the ocean, and the water is now in his front yard.
              Last edited by BassAle; 01-04-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

The wind and cold is brutal here (I mean, for here). It's got that distinct North Country vibe going on. It's a balmy 25 but the winds are at 40 mph at my work. One of my southern co-workers just tumbled into the lobby looking like he was in shock.

It's 117 in Vioolsdrif, South Africa. Gesondheid!
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Looks like all inbound flights to JFK are being diverted, and anything not in the air by now is likely to be cancelled. Passengers being told they will be bussed to NYC. Have fun with that.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Looks like all inbound flights to JFK are being diverted, and anything not in the air by now is likely to be cancelled. Passengers being told they will be bussed to NYC. Have fun with that.
                    Bussed from Newark? Because honestly that's better than flying into JFK.

According to Flightview, 35% of JFK Departures are currently statused as "Late." The remaining 65% are statused as "Very Late."
                    Last edited by Kepler; 01-04-2018, 12:23 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Bussed from Newark? Because honestly that's better than flying into JFK.
                      Nope, lots of overseas flights are going to BWI and IAD. Saw a Singapore A380 ended up at SWF - I guess they're the "lucky" ones.

Comment

starting to look like Hoth outside. It's coming down pretty hard, but nice large fluffy flakes. It's beautiful out my window right now. The wind isn't too bad yet, but it's high tide and the high surf is causing some problems. My buddy lives across the street from the ocean, and the water is now in his front yard.
                        That has to be something to see. Do you have an interest in photography?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Nope, lots of overseas flights are going to BWI and IAD. Saw a Singapore A380 ended up at SWF - I guess they're the "lucky" ones.
                          Please do not come to IAD. You will f-ck up my commute.

Stewart can support an intl flight? I thought it was tiny!
                          Cornell University

Comment

It's small, but the runway is long enough for a superjumbo. I'm guessing they could only take the first one or two that got diverted. Hence why everyone else is screwed.

Seeing now that BWI can't handle anymore diversions either, so all the other overseas flights are going to IAD.

Comment

Portland and boothbay, flooded parking lots. You can see 50 ft right now on the road, was headed to do a service call. Called them back and said see you tomorrow. I drive a lot, it's that bad. I would have had to drive 95 between Hamden and Newport, aka death valley in Etna. Not going to do it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

They'll take the Silver Line to Union Station and board a train to NYC, BWI, or Raygun.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X