This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU 2016-17 Season Thread I: The Kids are Alright

Easily the most overrated team in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAAfan500 View Post
      Easily the most overrated team in the country.
      No,no,no. They have 23 1st round picks and are still going undefeated this season🙂

Comment

That first Denver goal. Woof. How does he let that go in?
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

So I hesitate to "start in" this early in the season, but just as a "general philosophy" comment (similar to the Red Sox sabermetrics philosophy, like why do you take 16 out of 19 first pitch strikes against a guy who has given up most of his home runs on the first pitch): "If" it is their methodology that they have decided to go the "we'll load up on draft picks" approach, I just think that "balance" should be kept in mind. I mentioned this last year as well. It's great to have the "#1 recruiting class" et al and all the talent that goes with that. I just don't think they should lose sight of the significance of having role players. In other words, you need guys that AREN'T going to the NHL to provide CONTINUITY from one year to the next. People that will stay four years and be a "link" between the old and the new. Because all these draft picks are going to be gone after one, or at the most, two years. And if they're thinking "Well, we have enough talent to win almost every year if we keep getting the 'best' players," I think they will find that they will be sadly mistaken. Did we all forget that they won in 2009 because of the leadership of FOUR seniors (that team had NINE juniors and seniors)?

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
            That first Denver goal. Woof. How does he let that go in?
            From the highlights reel, it looks like he wasn't ready and may have expected Diffley to do more to slow down Borgstrom along the boards. For the same reason Somerby seemed hesitant as to what to do. Harder to tell on Bellows goal, but that was a pretty sharp angle, too.
            http://www.denverpioneers.com/colleg.../?media=539061
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Looked like he had come out anticipating a pass into the slot and when he realized instead that Borgstrom was not going to pass he tried to get back to cover the near post and just didn't get there in time. Probably the same on Bellows' goal, so they kind of cancelled each other out.
              Last edited by chickod; 10-16-2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                So I hesitate to "start in" this early in the season, but just as a "general philosophy" comment (similar to the Red Sox sabermetrics philosophy, like why do you take 16 out of 19 first pitch strikes against a guy who has given up most of his home runs on the first pitch): "If" it is their methodology that they have decided to go the "we'll load up on draft picks" approach, I just think that "balance" should be kept in mind. I mentioned this last year as well. It's great to have the "#1 recruiting class" et al and all the talent that goes with that. I just don't think they should lose sight of the significance of having role players. In other words, you need guys that AREN'T going to the NHL to provide CONTINUITY from one year to the next. People that will stay four years and be a "link" between the old and the new. Because all these draft picks are going to be gone after one, or at the most, two years. And if they're thinking "Well, we have enough talent to win almost every year if we keep getting the 'best' players," I think they will find that they will be sadly mistaken. Did we all forget that they won in 2009 because of the leadership of FOUR seniors (that team had NINE juniors and seniors)?
                In 08-09 there were 6 undrafted juniors and seniors, this year there are 8 undrafted freshmen and sophomores (who will soon become undrafted juniors and seniors), I think BU is already doing what you're complaining that they're not doing.

Comment

The kids are good, but they seem to be young enough that a 'big long road trip to high altitude' got to them enough to pull them off their game. The biggest hurt this will be is to the OOC effect it has in the pairwise. I think these guys will come together in the season well enough to handle long trips soon enough.

Comment

You guys didn't bring in 9 Eichel's, you brought in 9 frosh. Give them a few years to develop.
                    Oh wait. They'll be gone after one. Sucks to BU.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
                      The kids are good, but they seem to be young enough that a 'big long road trip to high altitude' got to them enough to pull them off their game. The biggest hurt this will be is to the OOC effect it has in the pairwise. I think these guys will come together in the season well enough to handle long trips soon enough.
                      BU will be fine - they caught Denver at a bad time. Coming off a horrendous first weekend Denver was desperate for a win. Like BU, most of DU's best talent is young - but early in the season the number of solid, steady and experienced upperclassmen (especially on defense) in the DU line up was the difference.

It's easy to see the talent at BU and if they gel they're clearly still a favorite this season. They looked notably better than BC did last weekend in beating DU...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Not good for the pairwise.
                        Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          BU will be fine - they caught Denver at a bad time. Coming off a horrendous first weekend Denver was desperate for a win. Like BU, most of DU's best talent is young - but early in the season the number of solid, steady and experienced upperclassmen (especially on defense) in the DU line up was the difference.

It's easy to see the talent at BU and if they gel they're clearly still a favorite this season. They looked notably better than BC did last weekend in beating DU...
                          I wonder from DU weekend....do they want to play for Quinn?.....can he connect with players...generational players like Eichel cover up lots of Coaching shortfalls...Might not be the right guy...if this team loses to many...will draft picks start to leave after break cause agents advise them to bail?

Comment

Originally posted by Hank81 View Post
                            I wonder from DU weekend....do they want to play for Quinn?
                            Yes.

..if this team loses to many...will draft picks start to leave after break cause agents advise them to bail?
                            No.

Comment

I wonder from DU weekend....do they want to play for Quinn?.....can he connect with players...generational players like Eichel cover up lots of Coaching shortfalls...Might not be the right guy...if this team loses to many...will draft picks start to leave after break cause agents advise them to bail?
                              they won't leave, if anything they will play harder so NHL teams don't bail on them

Comment

This is ludicrous. Aside from an ENG, BU loses two 1-goal games away to a team that was in the Frozen Four last year. Tied for youngest team in the country where a good deal of talent is with the freshmen that have only played several games together. A team that could have easily thrown in the white towel after being down 4-0, but scored the next three goals to make it a game. Yeah, they really sound like they are giving up on the coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X