X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sochi Olympics Results thread - SPOILERS

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    Sweden were outshot 15-5 in the third period but held the lead, because Lundqvist is the f-ing man.
    *swoon*

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      To add to the results depression, Shani Davis finished 8th in his bid to threepeat the 1000M speed skating. Another gold to the Dutch.
      But, if I saw the standings right, he was the fastest American. He entered the 500m just to use it as a warm up to the 1000 and 1500.

Sucks he didn't medal. Boy those Dutch sure have something going. Even blowing away the Korean speed skaters.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        But, if I saw the standings right, he was the fastest American. He entered the 500m just to use it as a warm up to the 1000 and 1500.

Sucks he didn't medal. Boy those Dutch sure have something going. Even blowing away the Korean speed skaters.
        I think I had heard that before Sochi the Dutch had never had a gold in speed skating...now they're sweeping podiums.
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          I think I had heard that before Sochi the Dutch had never had a gold in speed skating...now they're sweeping podiums.
          They had never had a gold in the 500m.

The Dutch have been one of the best speed skating nations ever, and I believe they have the most medals in the history of the sport. Before Sochi, the USA had the most gold medals though...not sure if that is still true.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Not so much. From what NBC has said, the Wiki page outlining their history is accurate. The Netherlands have 85 winter medals, 82 of which are from speed skating (the other 3 were early figure skating medals). Their first gold was for figure skating in 1964, but the first gold in speed skating was 1968 in Grenoble- where they had 3 golds. Followed by 4 in Sapparo (72), one in Insbruck (76) and Lake Placid (80).... Their best year was 6 in Nagano ('98), which they could beat this year.

And the sweeping thing- their first multi-medal in a single event was also in Grenoble- Gold and Silver- Mens 1500, Silver and Bronze Mens 5000 and womens 1500.

They've historically been the HUGE skating powerhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

The Dutch have been one of the best speed skating nations ever, and I believe they have the most medals in the history of the sport. Before Sochi, the USA had the most gold medals though...not sure if that is still true.

Which is confirmed if wiki is true- right NOW, they have 31 to the US's 29, which means they had 27 going into this Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                That must be what I had heard then...
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

That must be what I had heard then...
                  Must be the length of the canals. Up until this year, they've only had a handful of 500m medals overall.

Comment

US women's goalie might be their downfall. Can't be bobbling glove saves in a major tournament like this.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      US women's goalie might be their downfall. Can't be bobbling glove saves in a major tournament like this.
                      I thought Vetter was solid except for the disputed goal, especially in the third when her mates got the first shot on goal in the 16th minute.

BTW, I'm happy with the result but don't think the goal should have counted. Credit to the US players for how they handled the loss. Can't wait for the gold game!

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/americ...181021885.html
                      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Canada and Denmark in curling right now? Yes, please.
                        Twitter: DanMountSports
                        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

badger as a healthy scratch? Sounds about right. Bummer about Faulk, though.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...VK_-_Lines.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I thought the Canadian women were faster. US looked tighter than the bark on a tree
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

USA sweeps the podium in mens ski slopestyle!

Comment

USA has some jump. Look pretty fast which to me is a good sign on the big ice.

PP upcoming.

Comment

Working...
                                X