This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    You asked if anyone expected this. My thought is obviously, Yes. Not me, or you, or any fan of the game.
    I actually meant anyone on this forum...walrus, runsub, gscott, Priceless, blackbearbandie, allbear, Fishman, ck1969 , rufus, AMC, Drew S, amherstblackbear etc. I don't think a one of us expected this. If anyone did, they certainly didn't post such here. What makes you think "obviously, Yes."? Not a criticism at all, just a practical question coming out of a disastrous situation at the end of last season with the other guy at the helm.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Well, I am very happy with the results. I am particularly happy with the apparent attention to detail on defense, to say the least. You asked if anyone expected this. My thought is obviously, Yes. Not me, or you, or any fan of the game. But Peter Metcalf has always been arguably the best Maine defensemen all time. He was part of the hiring panel. Now, given the attention to detail on defense, I am sure Peter saw this. Wouldn't it be something someday if Peter Metcalf could be an assistant coach. I mean, the captain that bled blue with the shamrock on shoulder, and **** near willed a team to a championship.

If I recall correctly, Metcalf had the most points as a defensemen in a year when a defensemen won the Hobey. Anyone know if Peter Metcalf is coaching now. Wouldn't that be something, to see Peter Metcalf become a coach someday for Maine.
      Not that money is everything but Peter Metcalf has a great job in the financial sector in Portland and would be taking a pay cut to become a NCAA assistant.
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red Light District

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
        I actually meant anyone on this forum...walrus, runsub, gscott, Priceless, blackbearbandie, allbear, Fishman, ck1969 , rufus, AMC, Drew S, amherstblackbear etc. I don't think a one of us expected this. If anyone did, they certainly didn't post such here. What makes you think "obviously, Yes."? Not a criticism at all, just a practical question coming out of a disastrous situation at the end of last season with the other guy at the helm.
        I don't post all that much but, despite the results, after watching their play at the Mullins (God I hate that place), I absolutely expect a playoff (or at least bubble) year. As for making it into the polls this soon, I don't really understand the mentality that goes into them so I generally don't even read them.
        Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

• Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
          I don't post all that much but, despite the results, after watching their play at the Mullins (God I hate that place), I absolutely expect a playoff (or at least bubble) year. As for making it into the polls this soon, I don't really understand the mentality that goes into them so I generally don't even read them.
          Hockey East playoffs (final four at The Gahhden) or NCAA's?

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
            I actually posted a couple days ago that I thought Maine would be somewhere around fifth, which was better than seventh or eighth where a lot of people had them, but definitely not to be in effectively second place. I think when you look at the team objectively right now you have to like what you see. Maine has one good line and two others that are pretty solid, three good defensive pairs, and an excellent goalie. Maine has three guys that will surely be all hockey east which is nice as well.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Hockey East playoffs (final four at The Gahhden) or NCAA's?
              NCAAs. They're closing in on the bubble already.
              Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

• [QUOTE=Drew S.;585565. Maine has three guys that will surely be all hockey east which is nice as well.[/QUOTE] Who is the 3rd, Hutton?

Comment

• Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                  NCAAs. They're closing in on the bubble already.
                  Yeah they are and this weekend vs UML and BC is a huge weekend. What we have right now is MOmentum. How many points do the Bears walk away with after these 2 games? I'm not in the predicting business, but I say 2.

Comment

Honestly I had no real expectations, but if you would have told me at the beginning of the season that Maine would be ranked this high already in the process it would have been a surprise. I know Coach Gendron's mantra for the program that he has said from time to time has been "long term greedy," but it seems like they've been short term greedy too. What always traditionally has made Maine Hockey the program that it is has been the underdog status and staying perpetual over achievers. Even 1993 was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year after losing Jean Yves Roy and all the freshmen coming in. Maine even in the 90's was never ranked as high as we thought they should have been early in the year and didn't get enough respect. It seemed the last years they made the Frozen Four they were long shots in February too and just got streaky at the right time and won when they had to in Albany and Rochester. It has been a disappointing couple of years from St. Louis until now pretty much because it just seemed like the team consistently underachieved and were out-hustled and weren't as prepared to compete for the full game as their opponents. Maine Hockey has returned to being Maine Hockey.

Comment

Thought about ditching my tix, but in the end I'm very happy I stayed.
                      Go Maine!

Comment

I thought they'd win about 18 games this season, and believe I posted such on here. And they're right on track to do so. Did I think they'd look like such an improved team as quickly as they have? Maybe not quite so much, but they really didn't have anywhere to go but up, and if there was anyone out there that could recognize and eliminate the bad habits and mistake-prone aspects of their games, Red is certainly it. Not to mention, with that demeanor and gruff voice, I'm sure he had their utmost attention from the very first minute he walked through that locker room door.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Because, to be honest, for most fans at the time it was considered a flub up not hiring Monty. Now, a lot of people said believe in the process. I was skeptical the AD could handle getting anything right at that point. Then when Monty publicly voiced his displeasure in not being contacted and/or called after expressing his interest... it was another shot in my mind. Having said all of that, perhaps at the time the panel saw through it all and saw a gem. And perhaps the panel got it right. Perhaps the question I asked the other day about the dramatic improvement on defense and the answer in Red is coaching D. I mean, I haven't seen this promise on D since Campbell Blair was coaching them, and he did a helluva job in my opinion. This all combined, and the fact that I know Metcalf willed that team to a whisker of a championship(50 seconds or so - hello Amherst )... It all adds up to me that in spite of everything someone made some critical choices and were confident in these choices. I am not sure this all adds up to obvious at the time - sure. But when hind sight kicks in it seems obvious... I mean it is 20-20 and all... and perhaps Metcalf was the right guy for that panel and got it right. He's the only player I ever saw get so wound up(stand up and lean over the bench with his stick) at an opposing forward that he played the puck from the bench. He just couldn't help himself. Sure it ended up in a penalty shot for the opposing team. But that was a gift to me because it was the thought that counted.

Also, I know we have some very interesting and promising forwards that have committed. But nothing makes me happier than to see Maine recruit to solid shut down "at home" types coming in next season. It has been a very long time since we've had one in my opinion. Just always liked having an AJ Begg or a Brian White back on D.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                            Because, to be honest, for most fans at the time it was considered a flub up not hiring Monty. Now, a lot of people said believe in the process. I was skeptical the AD could handle getting anything right at that point. Then when Monty publicly voiced his displeasure in not being contacted and/or called after expressing his interest... it was another shot in my mind. Having said all of that, perhaps at the time the panel saw through it all and saw a gem. And perhaps the panel got it right. Perhaps the question I asked the other day about the dramatic improvement on defense and the answer in Red is coaching D. I mean, I haven't seen this promise on D since Campbell Blair was coaching them, and he did a helluva job in my opinion. This all combined, and the fact that I know Metcalf willed that team to a whisker of a championship(50 seconds or so - hello Amherst )... It all adds up to me that in spite of everything someone made some critical choices and were confident in these choices. I am not sure this all adds up to obvious at the time - sure. But when hind sight kicks in it seems obvious... I mean it is 20-20 and all... and perhaps Metcalf was the right guy for that panel and got it right. He's the only player I ever saw get so wound up(stand up and lean over the bench with his stick) at an opposing forward that he played the puck from the bench. He just couldn't help himself. Sure it ended up in a penalty shot for the opposing team. But that was a gift to me because it was the thought that counted.

Also, I know we have some very interesting and promising forwards that have committed. But nothing makes me happier than to see Maine recruit to solid shut down "at home" types coming in next season. It has been a very long time since we've had one in my opinion. Just always liked having an AJ Begg or a Brian White back on D.
                            Brian " brickwall, I see stars" White ? . Maine wins 13 more games, I'm happy
                            sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              I thought they'd win about 18 games this season, and believe I posted such on here. And they're right on track to do so. Did I think they'd look like such an improved team as quickly as they have? Maybe not quite so much, but they really didn't have anywhere to go but up, and if there was anyone out there that could recognize and eliminate the bad habits and mistake-prone aspects of their games, Red is certainly it. Not to mention, with that demeanor and gruff voice, I'm sure he had their utmost attention from the very first minute he walked through that locker room door.
                              this.

that said, i was originally in the Monty camp, but was by no means disappointed when it was announced that Red was taking the helm... I love his style, his commitment to accountability, that he demands 100% effort, and doesn't tolerate excuses....

reminds me of a brash "young" coach out in Windham that when his team went down 3-0 as described in a local paper "called time-out then, gathered his boys around the bench, and gave them what should perhaps be described simply as a firm talking-to. When play resumed, Windham showed a renewed intensity that foreshadowed the events to come."

it should be noted, that despite a 17-3 edge in shots in the third period, we only managed to tie the game which is how it ended....

gscott13>gum-chewer

Comment

I posted way back that I thought Maine would finish 4th or 5th in Hockey East and that they would get better as the season progressed. Looks like I may have been half right, Maine may finish higher than 4th.

Comment

Working...
                                X