X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Or one can just use OpenOffice.
    Tried it, it's junk, IMO. And it can create confusion for those who use MS Office at work. Trust me on this, working a help desk job for the past year, you don't want the average production staffer getting confused on these things. It's remarkable, really, that with as prevalent as computers have become over the past 20 years, how many people are so truly, deeply ignorant on how to use them correctly.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Tried it, it's junk, IMO. And it can create confusion for those who use MS Office at work. Trust me on this, working a help desk job for the past year, you don't want the average production staffer getting confused on these things. It's remarkable, really, that with as prevalent as computers have become over the past 20 years, how many people are so truly, deeply ignorant on how to use them correctly.
      Fair assessment, although I've found it at least functional for my needs. It is different than MS Office, but for basic needs, it works.

Comment

I made a Chocolate Truffle Cake Roll last week and it turned out really well. Fun to make, too. So this week I made Lemon Cream Rolled Cake. I should've listened to Betty - I used the whole batter to make the roll, and it cracked a little bit because it was too thick. Lesson learned. Delicious lesson. I'm still giving the cake away - it's not too bad, just not as pretty as it could've been (which is the story of my baking life, pretty much).

Comment

In a funk making dinner for awhile. Mr les has very pedestrian tastes. Anyone have fairly healthy comfort food type dinners to suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            In a funk making dinner for awhile. Mr les has very pedestrian tastes. Anyone have fairly healthy comfort food type dinners to suggest?
            I like the stuff at Emily Bites. Easy to make substitutions in most of her recipes for stuff you (or mr. les ) don't like or prefer the full-fat version, and I've liked pretty much everything I've tried. Good weeknight stuff - nothing too complicated or time-consuming. Are you on Pinterest?

Ellie Krieger also has lots of good recipes - and you'd never know it was healthy.

Comment

Oops forgot the mushrooms ...

Tried one tonight. Only 2 of us, so I cut the recipe in half. (The cut in half recipe is below)

Hamburger Stroganoff

1/2 lb. Hamburger
              SMALL onion, diced (or half of one)
              1/2 cup mushrooms cut up into small chunks. (I use portabella)
              1 Tbsp. Worcestershire suace
              3/4 cup beef broth
              1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper
              1/4 cup flour
              1/2 cup sour cream
              egg noodles

Cook egg noodles while the following is going on.

Put beef, onions, and mushrooms in a pan and brown them; drain.
              Add W. sauce, cook for 1 minute.
              Add salt/pepper. coat with flour and stir for about 1 more minute.
              Add broth, stir until thick.
              Add sour cream; stir and cook until heated throughout.
              Serve over noodles.

15 minutes start to finish.

My very (bland food) picky wife loved it.
              Last edited by MadTownSioux; 10-25-2015, 10:18 PM.
              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Stroganoff is on the menu for Wednesday. I think I will try this one!

jen- have been on Pinterest but it is so much eye candy I get overloaded. WIll try the other site. THanks. Not feeling terribly motivated but have to do something!

Comment

Tell meester he can start cooking his own food. See how long he holds out.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Tell meester he can start cooking his own food. See how long he holds out.
                    Have a lot of stuff going on (hence the disinterest in cooking on my part).
                    He has been cooking for us both lately. He has no problem doing this. It is all salt, cans, high fat etc. I like healthier foods. Not because they are healthier but because I like veggies, more Mediterranean type diet type stuff. I will try new things but have started to have some food intolerance issues which is making this more difficult. Hoping to be inspired.

Thanks jen!

Comment

Have a lot of stuff going on (hence the disinterest in cooking on my part).
                      He has been cooking for us both lately. He has no problem doing this. It is all salt, cans, high fat etc. I like healthier foods. Not because they are healthier but because I like veggies, more Mediterranean type diet type stuff. I will try new things but have started to have some food intolerance issues which is making this more difficult. Hoping to be inspired.

Thanks jen!
                      Les
                      Stress will cause food intolerances, I'm sure you know that though.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Les
                        Stress will cause food intolerances, I'm sure you know that though.
                        yup. At this point stress is causing food (all inclusive) intolerance. Hopefully a resolution will occur soon

Comment

Thanksgiving's coming up, and I think if I go the traditional turkey route, I will make Giada's turkey with herbs de provence and citrus. Worked well the last time I made it.

The only reason I'm thinking traditional is we might have company this year....
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Alton Brown. Be done with it.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I made some quick and easy, healthier pasta the other day. Chicken sausage, sun dried tomatoes, kale, pasta and a small amount of light cream sauce. Not exactly healthy, but not as bad as fettuccine alfredo and yet more filling/satisfying.
                              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                              7 B1G
                              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                              2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Alton Brown. Be done with it.
                                I could do that, too. Now I need a few sides...
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X