X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    its right next to the ****ing arena
    Fortunately the course actually doesn't run past the arena. It's to the north as this MAP shows, the closest it comes is a block north. So that's good and that it will be underway at 10am so one would think the traffic backup for participants would be over. Bad news is that parking might be at a premium but hopefully the arena has pre-arranged certain lots/garages to be solely for events there. In any event, Lowell should be made aware of this to alert fans to allow for extra time to arrive and park on Saturday.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Cornell?

Never heard of it
      Tully Rink Rat
      Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
      Youngstar
      UML Class of 09

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
        Cornell?

Never heard of it
        Wow...not much love from Starman and the clowns at ESPN...

Comment

Cornell?

Never heard of it
          I'm just waiting to hear the inevitable "UMass Rejects" chant on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            Wow...not much love from Starman and the clowns at ESPN...
            I am not surprised Lowell is the Rodney Dangerfield of D1 Hockey. No matter how much we keep winning people will always disrespect for us for a lack of prestige.
            Tully Rink Rat
            Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
            Youngstar
            UML Class of 09

Comment

I am not surprised Lowell is the Rodney Dangerfield of D1 Hockey. No matter how much we keep winning people will always disrespect for us for a lack of prestige.
              Although one guy did predict Lowell would be in the Frozen Four. Other than that, not a whole lot. Lowell was one bounce of the puck away last night from being the No. 1 in Manchester (gee thanks Wisconsin) and if they'd been a No. 1, they would've spoken in depth about the other three and then said "....and then Lowell's your No. 1 seed in Manchester. Time for a commercial break."

I don't really care. They're fourth in country in USCHO poll, fifth seed in the tournament, and the HE tournament and regular season champion. If we still fly under the radar, I'm ok with that.
              Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hockey View Post
                I'm just waiting to hear the inevitable "UMass Rejects" chant on Saturday.
                More the other way around, I think. Anyone can get into ZooMass. Lowell is a merger of Lowell Tech and Lowell State. Lowell Tech was an excellent school...I'm a musician who plays professional gigs and TONS of my colleagues have degrees from Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  Friend just warned me that there's a half marathon Saturday morning starting at 10 in Manchester, which might affect traffic. Just a warning.
                  Brilliant planning. It's not like they didn't know about this...the sites are selected well in advance.

Comment

I was talking more about this specific game with Cornell. I don't understand how they can pick Cornell over UML in THIS game (well, I realize it's hockey and anyone can win one game). Regarding the "respect" thing, that's a different discussion. It's not "disrespect," but you have to understand that to become a "big-time" program in a historical perspective takes YEARS. Teams like Michigan (9 NCAA championships), North Dakota (8) and Denver (7) have excelled for over 60 years. You shouldn't feel insulted just because you're not looked upon in that light. It takes time to earn that reputation.

Comment

Anyone know what the Lowell sections are in Manchester? Noon start? Kinda sucks. If they did 4pm and 7pm there'd be no conflict with the half marathon. Just when I thought the NCAA had half a brain for not having Friday afternoon game....
                      Last edited by Fishhawk; 03-19-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        I was talking more about this specific game with Cornell. I don't understand how they can pick Cornell over UML in THIS game (well, I realize it's hockey and anyone can win one game). Regarding the "respect" thing, that's a different discussion. It's not "disrespect," but you have to understand that to become a "big-time" program in a historical perspective takes YEARS. Teams like Michigan (9 NCAA championships), North Dakota (8) and Denver (7) have excelled for over 60 years. You shouldn't feel insulted just because you're not looked upon in that light. It takes time to earn that reputation.
                        it would have taken a simple phrase to satisfy me... something along the lines of "Lowell's been on a tear to end this season this stretch winning ? of ? and out scoring their opponents on a 2-1 margin"... done.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          it would have taken a simple phrase to satisfy me... something along the lines of "Lowell's been on a tear to end this season this stretch winning ? of ? and out scoring their opponents on a 2-1 margin"... done.
                          I know...but if you didn't notice, the entire show was CLEARLY biased in favor of the West. Actually, if you go back to the beginning of college hockey, there has always been a reason for that. In the "old" days, the West had TONS of Canadian players and a punishing, physical style of play that more often than not allowed them to be victorious against the East. Also, there was the "academic" reputation of the East, implying that they weren't as difficult to play against (and, in fact, for many years games were called "tighter" in the East, putting their teams at a huge disadvantage in the tournament, where the Western teams would just beat the crap out of them and get away with it). In more recent years this has equalized, but there will always be that bias from the Western people who just think that their hockey is better. And it was evident in today's broadcast.

But you also have to understand that Western teams won 17 of the first 20 NCAA championships. All time, they still lead 49-20. And in many cases they had long runs of consecutive years where they won, were interrupted one year by the East and then went on another long run. It's easy to understand why they feel that way. In fact, the East didn't even win back-to-back championships until BU did it in 1971 and 1972 (the first championship was held in 1948). So it took 24 years. As late as 1992, the "score" was West: 36, East 9

The lack of respect for the East is deep-rooted and won't go away until that generation is gone. But it's also understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                            Fortunately the course actually doesn't run past the arena. It's to the north as this MAP shows, the closest it comes is a block north. So that's good and that it will be underway at 10am so one would think the traffic backup for participants would be over. Bad news is that parking might be at a premium but hopefully the arena has pre-arranged certain lots/garages to be solely for events there. In any event, Lowell should be made aware of this to alert fans to allow for extra time to arrive and park on Saturday.
                            The road where I usally park when I go to Manchester is now going to have the race on it. This is not going to be good.
                            What did you say?
                            Who own the Chiefs?
                            What did he say?
                            Owns! Owns!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                              Anyone know what the Lowell sections are in Manchester? Noon start? Kinda sucks. If they did 4pm and 7pm there'd be no conflict with the half marathon. Just when I thought the NCAA had half a brain for not having Friday afternoon game....
                              I'm wondering if the City of Manchester would request the games be pushed back as I can imagine this is going to put quite a strain on the downtown Saturday morning.

In any event UML's Tournament Central page is up for the Regionals HERE. It's vague at the moment as much information is TBD including tickets, pregame location (can someone say "brunch"?), student deals, etc. But the site does note this -

"Note: The Shamrock Half Marathon was scheduled for 10am*Saturday, March 25, starting at Veteran's Park on Elm Street, to make things more fun. Expect traffic delays and parking concerns and plan accordingly."

I think people are just going to have to really plan ahead, allow a lot of extra time to get in there, and just be patient. I'm thinking the garage nearest the arena will be full so parking might be more off the beaten path like further down the street by the ballpark. I'm already researching alternative, back road routes coming in an exit or two earlier to avoid the cluster that primary exit into downtown might be.
                              Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                More the other way around, I think. Anyone can get into ZooMass. Lowell is a merger of Lowell Tech and Lowell State. Lowell Tech was an excellent school...I'm a musician who plays professional gigs and TONS of my colleagues have degrees from Lowell.
                                I want to put this on a billboard in Amherst
                                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X