Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2011-12 - The work and progress continue..

I would love an online auction...since I can't go to the games

Comment

Originally posted by sticksnstones View Post
      I would love an online auction...since I can't go to the games

You can always grab one of these
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Cardinals host Bears tonight {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Jan. 27, 2012}

As soon as players join the Plattsburgh State men's hockey team, they're sent a clear message that they'll be expected to play with discipline.
        "That might be the first thing (coach Bob Emery) says, is we're going to be the most disciplined team in the country," junior Patrick Jobb said. "I think it's something like four or five of the last five or six years we've been the least penalized team in the country. So it's something we preach all the time — staying out of the penalty box and being disciplined on and off the ice."

The third-ranked Cardinals (12-2-4, 7-1-1 SUNYAC) host Potsdam tonight for a SUNY Athletic Conference game.

Emery said discipline and hard work are the foundation of the Plattsburgh program, and this year's numbers reflect that. The Cardinals currently rank 70th out of 71 Division III teams in penalty minutes.

They've totaled 137 minutes for an average of 7.6 per game. That's less than half as many as a lot of teams have. Suffolk, which sits at the top of the list, is averaging 27.5 minutes per game and has totaled 412.

Jobb said not every penalty is viewed as a negative; it's certain kinds that irk the coaching staff. He said the coaches don't get on a player "if you're taking a good penalty that needs to be taken."

"We always say we kill off the tough ones, or the hard penalties," he added. "But it's the stupid penalties that we try to stay away from as a team."

Emery doesn't hesitate to bench players who don't show the kind of discipline he demands. Plattsburgh started the season with five players serving suspensions for off-ice transgressions, and several players have been punished for taking penalties.

Players who have drawn a misconduct have sat out the next game, and most recently, Emery sent Alex Brenton to the locker room during last week's game. Brenton's collision with the opposing goalie resulted in just a minor penalty, but the coach said it was something that can't happen.

Emery said he doesn't go looking for a certain type of player, but once they arrive, they have to learn to play without committing frequent infractions.

"There's a lot of guys that can't adjust to our culture, and they fall off," he said. "A lot of guys that don't want to pay the price and work hard and play with discipline. And those guys don't last."

Emery believes there's correlation between discipline and winning, and Plattsburgh is in good company at the bottom of the penalty-minutes list — Norwich, which is ranked first in USCHO.com Division III Men's Poll, is last in that category. None of the 10 most penalized teams are ranked.

Jobb said the players can see the advantage of staying out of the sin bin

"I think there's been numerous games since I've been here where we haven't even taken penalties over a whole weekend. And if we get three or four power plays, we're going to score," Jobb said.

Opponents have scored just three power-play goals against Plattsburgh this season — they've been limited to 55 opportunities, plus the Cardinals boast the top penalty kill in the country.

The Cardinals took six penalties against Morrisville last Saturday — almost twice their average. Incidentally, tonight's opponent is one of most penalized in Division III. Potsdam averages 23.2 minutes, which ranks fourth.

The Bears (6-10-2, 4-5) are tied for fifth in the SUNYAC standings. They've dropped their last five games, including losses to Morrisville and Hobart last weekend. Sy Nutkevitch leads the team in scoring, and is tied for 10th in Division III, with 29 points (six goals, 23 assists).

Plattsburgh beat Potsdam, 4-1, on Nov. 5.

The Cardinals will wear black jerseys tonight and auction them off after the game.

Email Courtney Lewis at: clewis@pressrepublican.com
        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Hey I have tickets for myself tonight, but I am looking for 3-4 (pref 4) tickets for tonights game and think im going to have trouble getting them with the potsdam folks coming down. Just wanted to see if I could get anyone to help me out?

Comment

Heads up time -- what can happen next Saturday (2/4/12) if the stars align correctly?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Heads up time -- what can happen next Saturday (2/4/12) if the stars align correctly?
              The stars don't have align correctly for that to be our last regular season home game

Now maybe if you are talking about Emery's 56 career tie
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by CardFan View Post
                Hey I have tickets for myself tonight, but I am looking for 3-4 (pref 4) tickets for tonights game and think im going to have trouble getting them with the potsdam folks coming down. Just wanted to see if I could get anyone to help me out?
                I have 2 tickets

Comment

Cardinal coaches targets of inside jokes {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Jan. 28, 2012}

The theme for tonight's Chartwells/Cardinal Hockey Charity Dinner is 70s Night, which means Plattsburgh State men's hockey players will be decked out in retro attire.

Or as junior Patrick Jobb put it, "We'll all get to dress like (coach Bob) Emery."

There will no doubt be more potshots like that at the annual dinner, which will give the players a chance to put on skits poking fun at each other and the coaching staff.

It will also be a chance for them to interact with fans and raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Northeast New York.

"We get to pick on the other players and the coaches a little bit and raise a lot of money for a good cause. So it's always a good time," Jobb said.

The event, held at Angell College Center, will also include auctions of Plattsburgh State hockey apparel and other items.

Assistant coach Steve Moffat began the dinner in 2005, modeling it after an event that his ECHL team held when he was a player. He changed a few things, including donating profits to charity.

"Make-A-Wish was something I chose. It's just something I feel strongly about," Moffat said. "And our players enjoy being able to meet with recipients and creating relationships with kids that are not as fortunate as them."

Make-A-Wish grants wishes for children with life-threatening medical conditions. The Northeast New York chapter serves 15 counties. Moffat said tonight's guests will include the chapter's CEO, Bill Trigg III, and two families who have benefitted from the foundation's work.

Advanced registration is required, and Moffat said 301 people signed up for this year's dinner. He said since the first year, the Cardinals have raised between $35,000 and $40,000 for the foundation.

"I don't have a goal; I like to raise more money each year, but with the economic times I know that becomes harder," Moffat said. "It used to really stress me out if we didn't get to that point ... but I guess it's not about that. It's getting awareness out about Make-A-Wish.

"And if we raise $500, great. And if it's $5,000, even better. Whatever we can do to promote Make-A-Wish."

The coaches expect to take plenty of flack during the skits.

"We generally take the brunt of the beating. But it's all in good fun, and as hockey players and coaches you have to have thick skin," he said. "The guys have fun doing it, and it's a chance to have a little bit of a release. Last year, the coaches got involved and gave it back to the players a little bit, too."

"I think the fans get to see some inside jokes and behind-the-scenes things they wouldn't normally see."

Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Close call for Cardinals {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican - Jan. 28, 2012}

The Cardinals appeared to be on their way to a romp Friday after scoring three goals in the opening 10:15.

They ended up with a hard-fought victory.

Potsdam tallied three consecutive goals to tie the SUNY Athletic Conference men's hockey game at Stafford Ice Arena before Barry Roytman lifted Plattsburgh State to a 4-3 win with a late power-play goal.

Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said things were too easy in the first period.

"Our guys don't respond well when things get easy for us," he said. "And I think a lot of problems stem from when things are easy for us, we kinda play on our heels. We don't have enough skill to play on our heels."

The third-ranked Cardinals (13-2-4, 8-1-1 SUNYAC) extended their unbeaten streak to 12 games. They remained one point behind Oswego in the conference standings, although Oswego has a SUNYAC game today and the Cardinals don't play again until next Friday.

Potsdam coach Chris Bernard said "it could've been 6-0" after the first period if not for some very good saves by Kevin McFarland.

But Emery called a timeout 3:20 into the second because he didn't like what he saw, and that apparently wasn't enough to get the Cardinals' attention. Mike Arnold put the Bears on the board with a power-play goal at 11:42, and Erick Ware quickly followed with a long shot that beat Mathieu Cadieux and brought Potsdam within one.

The Bears fired three times as many shots in the second as in the first. They held a 22-14 advantage in the second.

"Obviously we were really flat coming out," Bernard said. "And I think I just came in there (at the first intermission), and I challenged our guys individually to really dig deep and find it within themselves and represent themselves and the program in the way we've been challenging them to do."

The Bears (6-11-2, 4-6) had 32 seconds left on a power play at the start of the third, and they only used 29. Sy Nutkevitch tied the game at 3-3.

The Cardinals got a 5-on-3 with less than four minutes left, and they knew that was a golden opportunity.

"It had to be now or never. Because if it wasn't going to come now, we were going into overtime," Roytman said. "We weren't having a great game, but we finally pulled it off and that's all that matters."

Jared Docking and Kyle Kudroch both earned their second assist of the night on Roytman's goal with 3:30 to go.

Cadieux made 32 saves.

"We were fortunate enough (Friday) to go out and play a great third period," Emery said. "We got pucks in deep. We kinda wore them down, forced them to take a couple penalties and we took advantage of it."

McFarland finished with 40 stops. Matt Viola assisted on all three Potsdam goals.

Ryan Craig put the puck in an open left side of the net less than two minutes into the game. The next two goals came in quick succession. Kyle Taylor tallied at 9:42, and Michael Cassidy slid in a loose puck 33 seconds later.

Emery wasn't sure if blowing that three-goal lead would be an eye-opener.

"As a coach you hope you learn from your mistakes, and we've been making the same mistakes over and over again," he said. "So I can't answer that we're going to learn from this game at all. I wish."

Plattsburgh's second-leading scorer, Nick Jensen, and freshman Alex Brenton did not play Friday. Emery said both were held out for taking bad penalties in the previous game.

The Cardinals wore black jerseys that were auctioned off after the game. Emery said some proceeds will go to the team and some will be donated to charity.

Plattsburgh 4, Potsdam 3

Potsdam 0 2 1 — 3

Plattsburgh 3 0 1 — 4

First period- 1, PSU, Craig (A. Jensen, Scuglia), 1:48. 2, PSU, Taylor (Docking, Kudroch), 9:42. 3, PSU, Cassidy (Mooney, Schlueter), 10:15. Penalties: McCamey, Pots (slashing), 17:55.

Second period- 4, Pots, Arnold (Viola), 11:42 (pp). 5, Pots, Ware (McCamey, Viola), 12:24. Penalties: Arnold, Pots (high sticking), 4:13. McCamey, Pots (hooking), 7:11. Mooney, PSU (hooking), 9:59. A. Jensen, PSU (boarding), 13:54. Cadieux, PSU (hooking), 18:32.

Third period- 7, PSU, Roytman (Docking, Kudroch), 16:30 (pp). Penalties: A. Jensen, PSU (tripping), 5:27. Syrydiuk, Pots (hooking), 11:40. Avgerinos, Pots (elbowing), 15:22. Ware, Pots (cross checking), 16:19.

Shots on goal:

Potsdam 7 22 6 — 35

Plattsburgh 17 14 13 — 44

Goaltenders (shots-saves): McFarland, Pots, 44-40. Cadieux, PSU, 35-32.

Power play (goals-opportunities): Potsdam 2-4, Plattsburgh 1-6.

Attendance: 1,792.

Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

This is one of the main reasons why kids choose Plattsburgh over other cream puffed coached teams. You are held to such a high standard and why some players just cant take it. Being sat for two MINOR penalties that had no affect on the outcome of a game, yet some coaches continue to let their goon squad play week after week of countless selfish penalties. Its a shame Emery isn't noticed more for his coaching then his "no handshake" rule....
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                        This is one of the main reasons why kids choose Plattsburgh over other cream puffed coached teams. You are held to such a high standard and why some players just cant take it. Being sat for two MINOR penalties that had no affect on the outcome of a game, yet some coaches continue to let their goon squad play week after week of countless selfish penalties. Its a shame Emery isn't noticed more for his coaching then his "no handshake" rule....
                        +1
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Well said. On the one hand, you give Potsdam credit for one hell of a comeback last night. On the other hand, they looked like crap on the blue line for the Anthem (some of them had helmets on skating away before "home of the brave"). Meanwhile, Emma's crew was neat as a pin at full attention per the usual.

Comment

My aunt just posted this on the FB page but she has 4 tickets for the Oswego game Sec 52 seats 9, 10, 11, & 12. Let me know if anyone is interested.
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

My aunt just posted this on the FB page but she has 4 tickets for the Oswego game Sec 52 seats 9, 10, 11, & 12. Let me know if anyone is interested.
                              Only catch is you have to wear a white shirt for the whiteout and pull for Oz

Comment

Is she selling them and how much does she want?

Comment

Working...
                                X