Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
    Does Besse usually kill penalties? I haven't explicitly paid attention to that, but I also don't specifically remember him on a PK unit.

I mentioned it in that same conversation on twitter - it's very common for an explosive offensive player to serve penalties when the team has a choice. I don't know if he still does, but back when I watched Washington Capitals games very regularly, Ovechkin was usually the guy serving bench minors. If he's not going to be on the ice during the penalty kill anyway, you may as well have one of your best forwards sprinting out of the box.

Peter Tischke had a breakaway straight out of the penalty box on Saturday, and it sure would have been nice if it were a player like Besse in that same situation.
    I've seen a couple people mention that he was made to serve them because he's in the dog house, but I agree with it being a good idea having a strong skill guy serve it and help with a rush out of the box.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
      Here is where things stand going into the Gophers visiting Madison.
      Someone is still giving us some love with a single point in the poll, receiving votes, 27th
      RPI up to 27
      PWR up to 26
      Team O, 3.61 - 6th
      Team D, 3.28 - 48th
      PP, 25/110 22.73% - 10th
      PK, 76/88 86.4% - 11th
      A couple of very entertaining games gives UW the split, all things considered I'll take that.

Wisconsin DOUBLES the votes that they are getting, but to 2 now! receiving votes, 26th
      RPI steady at 27
      PWR bumps up to 2t (tied with Clarkson and MTU)
      Team O, 3.65 - 6th
      Team D, 3.30 - 49th
      PP, 27/120 22.50% - 8th
      PK, 86/99 86.9% - 8th

Next we get the road series against OSU, Thursday in Ohio, Saturday at The Garden.
      Wisconsin DOUBLES the votes that they are getting, but to 2 now! receiving votes, 26th
      RPI steady at 27
      PWR bumps up to 2t (tied with Clarkson and MTU)
      Team O, 4.23 - 2nd
      Team D, 2.77 - 28th
      PP, 24/92 26.09% - 2nd
      PK, 75/97 77.3% - 52nd

I think the key focus that the stats show is that UW needs to put up a lot of shots as early as they can. UW is 4-0-0 when leading after 1 and OSU is 0-1-3 when trailing. This is probably easier said than done...UW has a goal differential of -8 (16 to 28) in the first while OSU has a differential of +17 (33 to 16) .
      If UW is able to get a lead, they need to keep the foot on the gas pedal and get separation. UW is 4-3 in 1-goal games, while OSU is 3-0.

The formula is simple, get early shots that lead to early goals and maximize the PP opportunities; but then again you could probably say that about any Team A facing Team B.

Comment

49th in defense is atrocious.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

1 more win this year and we match the last 2 years win total.

Geez, things were really bad and that is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            49th in defense is atrocious.
            Totally, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel, the goalies are playing very well, once they clean up the D zone coverage and aren't so timid when the opposing team enters the zone, things will improve. They are all teachable things. G2O also have to repair the damaged psyche of the players and instill confidence in them. That takes time too. Being 11-8-1 right now and being competitive in every game is nothing short of amazing.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Totally, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel, the goalies are playing very well, once they clean up the D zone coverage and aren't so timid when the opposing team enters the zone, things will improve. They are all teachable things. G2O also have to repair the damaged psyche of the players and instill confidence in them. That takes time too. Being 11-8-1 right now and being competitive in every game is nothing short of amazing.
              I'm not sure that any amount of practice time is going to fix this D-corp, it's just going to take moving through the recruiting cycle. This staff is going the best that they can with what they inherited, but even the best craftsmen will be limited by the quality of materials they have to work with.

That said, these players have had the significant disadvantage of inconsistency in coaching staffs/philosophies so it isn't fair to place all the blame on them.

This really falls on Eaves and Alvarez.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                I'm not sure that any amount of practice time is going to fix this D-corp, it's just going to take moving through the recruiting cycle. This staff is going the best that they can with what they inherited, but even the best craftsmen will be limited by the quality of materials they have to work with.

That said, these players have had the significant disadvantage of inconsistency in coaching staffs/philosophies so it isn't fair to place all the blame on them.

This really falls on Eaves and Alvarez.
                I agree.

Considering who are defensive coach is, I expect the same thing to happen to the defense that happened to the offense. (I don't blame the current players, either. If I were offered a scholly, I'm there). As quick as the offense has begun to turn around, the defense can't be far behind. Not baby steps, but hopefully teenager steps.

These guys are fun to watch.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                  I agree.

Considering who are defensive coach is, I expect the same thing to happen to the defense that happened to the offense. (I don't blame the current players, either. If I were offered a scholly, I'm there). As quick as the offense has begun to turn around, the defense can't be far behind. Not baby steps, but hopefully teenager steps.

I'd be more positive if I saw the correct decisions being made but execution struggling because in that case things can get turned around quickly. But many of the mistakes start and end with just a bad initial decision that that is MUCH harder to change.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    I agree.

The D will not be a quick fix. The forward grouping is talented and relatively deep....aka the cupboard was not left bare. There are 7 forwards that were drafted and a few other nice college players that don't have the measurable to be highly desired in a pro draft. The D core has one guy drafted(Greenway) that is a true 18 year old freshman completely in over his head (as most 18 year old D are). You've got a guy in McGuire who to my knowledge never played any D at any level until Eaves crappy D recruiting forced him into that role last year. To his credit, McGuire has been serviceable but at UW (you can argue it is D man U as much as Goalie U) that kind of story should not be one of your D going into a season. 2 or 3 guys get hurt....sure....great story. Further, if you take out Tiskie and Greenway...3 of our primary dmen are 5'10 175, 5'8 180, & 5'11 185....and I know Rafalski. Our D group is a long LONG way from Schultz, Gardiner, Smith, Goloubef, McDonaugh, & Ramage or even Gilbert, Klubertanz, Likens, Piskula, Drewiske, & Engel.

Add in Inamoto and Kalynuk (20 year old who'll have 3 USHL seasons under his belt) next year and have Greenway, Tiskie, Davidson, & Linhart in season 2 of Oz and things should settle out in season to something we are used to seeing at Wisconsin.

Comment

Gameday!! (Weird not being Friday!).

Comment

Originally posted by Crainer View Post
                        Hell yea, thank you! I love these early starts to the weekend.

Obviously we've known about this since the schedule came out, but what are the roots of super Saturday? Showcasing TBT? Are they trying to get Maryland or Rutgers to get hockey (bwahahahaha)? I wouldn't think they expect many fans from the participating schools to show up.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Is it a good assumption that that we are the away team on Saturday night??

Comment

• Originally posted by Crainer View Post
                            Is it a good assumption that that we are the away team on Saturday night??
                            OSU is the one who gave up the home game so I would assume so.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                              Hell yea, thank you! I love these early starts to the weekend.

Obviously we've known about this since the schedule came out, but what are the roots of super Saturday? Showcasing TBT? Are they trying to get Maryland or Rutgers to get hockey (bwahahahaha)? I wouldn't think they expect many fans from the participating schools to show up.
                              Attendance will be fascinating at the game at Madison Squa Gawden.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Crainer View Post
                                I kind of liked the novelty of the Thursday night game....until I found this isn't televised. Not even on the free BTN online. So that sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X