This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Either way, they'll have to bring their A game.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Good win against a bad matchup for UW.

OSU was the team I didn't want to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Good win against a bad matchup for UW.

OSU was the team I didn't want to play.
        Agreed. Ohio St is very talented, and I think they could do damage/go on a run if in the tournament. They just take so many stupid penalties though - the discipline they showed last week against us just couldn't hold for another full 60 minutes. And that finally showed through.

Comment

OSU has a number of very good upper classmen and that does usually carry weight in these things, but PSU has 5 very good Seniors, and that really is the team I thought we just didn't match up well with. Give our top guys too much trouble, don't make a lot of mistakes, plus really play a pressure forecheck. Having said that, I'd rather play them now just because I like seeing the gophers lose whenever possible.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Re: badger hockey as we knew is dead...

It might be.

But...there are some missing pieces to the ambiance puzzle that might be leading to less enthusiastic/intimidating/and fun crowds.

Remember we're nostalgic for a time when kids could bring in banners and a gopher on a stick and the band was on the glass, the team was winning 20+ games annually, had superstar players, AND don't forget how the beer garden added to the atmosphere.

Start a chant of "4 we want more" or the rumble rink or when the other team scores a "who? So what?!? Big deal!!!" In a sold-out venue with a perennial title contender and the crowd having a few beers and suddenly you've got some real volume and enthusiasm.

Maybe I'm a Pollyanna but bring all those things back and see what transpires.

I bet the atmosphere improves quite a bit
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              But...there are some missing pieces to the ambiance puzzle that might be leading to less enthusiastic/intimidating/and fun crowds.

Remember we're nostalgic for a time when kids could bring in banners and a gopher on a stick and the band was on the glass, the team was winning 20+ games annually, had superstar players, AND don't forget how the beer garden added to the atmosphere.

Start a chant of "4 we want more" or the rumble rink or when the other team scores a "who? So what?!? Big deal!!!" In a sold-out venue with a perennial title contender and the crowd having a few beers and suddenly you've got some real volume and enthusiasm.

Agree 100%, allow the banners, and stop the hypocrisy with beer sales (we can't have students drinking and walking home; but, if you've got $$$ for a luxury box, we'll sell it to you and you can climb into your Lexus all hammered and drive home).

Comment

• Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post

Agree 100%, allow the banners, and stop the hypocrisy with beer sales (we can't have students drinking and walking home; but, if you've got $$$ for a luxury box, we'll sell it to you and you can climb into your Lexus all hammered and drive home).
                The alcohol issue is a university policy based on responsible serving. The clubs and suites can serve because they maintain the ratio of servers to consumers.
                If you want to see something different happen, research the reason and go to the source.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  Re: badger hockey as we knew is dead...

It might be.

If we could wave a magic wand and get thousands of students and other fans to be active followers of this program and to embrace the gameday experience...of course the atmosphere would improve. That's the missing piece to the puzzle, assuming on-ice success is coming with it. Unfortunately, getting thousands of people to go from "sure, I guess I'll try a hockey game; that's a thing you can do here" to being a fan isn't something that can really be forced or controlled. New fans just trying the hockey thing need to be in an environment where it matters. I think it can return, little by little, with each new wave of fans building on itself. If only the fans who were already there could wake up a little bit...I pretty much weep tears of joy anytime I hear somebody I don't know start a chant/song. (Of course, I have to remind myself of what I wrote earlier in this paragraph.)

My biggest gripe with the band isn't what and when they're playing; it's how -- just like the rest of the student body -- they're not as into it as the last waves of band members, so they aren't the reliable pack they once were.
                  Last edited by WiscDC; 03-17-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    OSU has a number of very good upper classmen and that does usually carry weight in these things, but PSU has 5 very good Seniors, and that really is the team I thought we just didn't match up well with. Give our top guys too much trouble, don't make a lot of mistakes, plus really play a pressure forecheck. Having said that, I'd rather play them now just because I like seeing the gophers lose whenever possible.
                    Also, there has to be a big rest advantage for playing the second of two games rather than the third of three in consecutive days.

Comment

This rodent/enabler game was being played at such a high level, I was worried that the winner would have a huge advantage going into tomorrow night.

But the longer this goes into OT, the less worried I am.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        This rodent/enabler game was being played at such a high level, I was worried that the winner would have a huge advantage going into tomorrow night.

But the longer this goes into OT, the less worried I am.
                        I agree, I'm rooting for the rodents in triple OT.

Congrats to the gals for beating BC; Clarkson knocked the rodents off.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                          The alcohol issue is a university policy based on responsible serving. The clubs and suites can serve because they maintain the ratio of servers to consumers.
                          If you want to see something different happen, research the reason and go to the source.
                          I realize its a university policy, and I maintain my position that its hypocritical. Lets be honest, that policy is designed with the thought- this is what we want to do, now lets come up with a policy in writing to justify it.

I will say that I think the band and banners are more important issues as far as turning the atmosphere around.

Comment

I believe it's more an NCAA policy as to the sale of alcohol at sporting events. If the stadium is on campus, the sale of alcohol is limited or not allowed. If the stadium is off campus, you can drink as much as you desire. That's what I always thought I guess.

Well, we get PSU. Hopefully we can outlast them as they have played basically 2 1/2 games so far this weekend.
                            WISCONSIN BADGERS
                            NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                            WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                            WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                            B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                            Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Total load of crap.

I know hockey extremely well and rarely feel like participating in group cheers.

There are plenty of games for every team everywhere these days where the crowd is flat. Blackhawks, Badger football, Brewers, Packers...

The excitement level of the crowd is far more related to the stakes of the individual game than it is to good or bad or knowledgeable fans.
                              Well...
                              I never said anything about group cheers, so not sure where you got that from.
                              Yes, there are games for other teams that have occasional flat crowds. I'd say that a flat crowd at a UW hockey game (recently) is the rule where a flat Packers game is the exception.
                              Sure, how important a game is may play into it as weel, and you'll usually see more people at those important games. You get more people through the doors and you will get more energy, I'm not going to dispute that. And sure, if you are playing a game at the end of the season that has a huge impact, the 5000' fans will know that, and that is going to build into the energy in the building too.

Not every game can be an important game. There are going to be October games against NMU that nobody really cares about. How do you get the crowd into that game?

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Not every game can be an important game. There are going to be October games against NMU that nobody really cares about. How do you get the crowd into that game?

You don't. You can't manufacture excitement.

And I honestly can't believe that you think there are a significant number of people at hockey games who don't understand the game.

Do you do things that cost money not to mention your time that you're really not all that into?

Just because someone isn't living and dying with every play doesn't mean they don't understand the game. Just means there's nothing important at stake.

Comment

Working...
                                X