Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2016-2017 (aka Season 20)

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    They hung another banner at Ridder tonight. I wonder if it ever gets old. Nope, not yet

http://i.imgur.com/CysMBrl.jpg
    Well, that's one of the grainier photos on the net. And it's a little odd you needed the upper right hand corner of the photo to start a fire. And no, I don't want to know just what it was that you started on fire.

That said, the banner and its meaning more than make up for all of that. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Well, that's one of the grainier photos on the net. And it's a little odd you needed the upper right hand corner of the photo to start a fire. And no, I don't want to know just what it was that you started on fire.

That said, the banner and its meaning more than make up for all of that. Congrats.
      I took it in the dark so potato quality - here is a better one http://i.imgur.com/lX8eyoV.jpg
      I'd get a shot of all of them but I'd need a really wide angle lens! :P

Comment

Did I miss anything today? Were either of the goals by the freshmen apart from the save-the-puck thing? Any cause for concern from the second-period goals allowed? Are any of the line combos that we've seen thus far likely to stick?

After watching the game in Duluth today, I'm reminded that it is hard for a hockey team to look impressive in September and the opening days of October, and we've been spoiled by teams that are ready for prime time as quickly as ours have been.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Did I miss anything today? Were either of the goals by the freshmen apart from the save-the-puck thing? Any cause for concern from the second-period goals allowed? Are any of the line combos that we've seen thus far likely to stick?

After watching the game in Duluth today, I'm reminded that it is hard for a hockey team to look impressive in September and the opening days of October, and we've been spoiled by teams that are ready for prime time as quickly as ours have been.
          Both of their goals were one-on-one, one a full break away the other had to carry a D with her but still got a nice shot over Peter's shoulder. I think it is the only way they were going to score as they were never able to put pressure on, getting only 20 shots all weekend. The Gopher D was solid. The only concern I had was the dozens of missed redirects in the slot, but it is very early & none of the lines have had much time together. Lindenwood played very good defense and had solid goal tending.

Agnew's was a nice tip in off of a great set up from Dani, I missed Woken's because I was setting up for the reception so I can't tell you anything about that one.

Comment

Did I miss anything today?
            The only thing that I found to be even slightly remarkable is that the Gophers dressed only 5 D for each game.

It isn't that big a deal because looking back to last season they usually only play 5 for most of the game. So they continued with that, 5 D played all of the shifts available for defenders.

Except that on Friday night they dressed 17 skaters, one less than they were allowed to dress. And on Saturday they completed the 18 dressed roster by dressing an extra forward and then had a dressed forward who as far as I can tell played zero shifts. They had a spot for a D which they did not use.

I do not know what this means.

The freshman? The freshman forwards who dressed both indicated that they are probably going to be up to the task going forward. They both scored. And they both looked quite capable of playing at this next higher level. For now I like one of them slightly more than the other but it is early and they both looked like they can play. Maybe people who were at the game will understand this but one of them reminded me slightly more of Davis and the other reminded me slightly more of Terry.

The freshman D took her turn as one of five and I thought more than held her own. She played very well, she looks to be a keeper.

Elsewhere, Potamak, Pannek and Cameranesi all displayed considerable advancement from the roles that they played last season. Potamak as a center looks to be a much better player than she was as a wing on the Brandt line. I say this keeping in mind that as mostly a wing on the Brandt line she was last year's national rookie of the year.

Lindenwood played a very Bemidji like defensive style. They almost always had four and usually five players below the dots when the Gophers were in the offensive zone. Bemidji does that too. It allows for blocked shots by the defense and smothering the puck when it gets near the crease. It keeps the score down and if you can get a couple of breaks at the other end you have a chance. That didn't work out for Lindenwood this weekend.

Gophers 9-2.
            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Agnew reminds me a bit of Schoullis. She definitely has an ability to get her stick on pucks in midair. As for Woken, Frost has taken to comparing just about every fast player with Terry, but the newest #20 looks to have more offensive game, even if she's not quite the same beast on the forecheck. Maybe in five years we can describe some speedy rookie as, "Kind of like an Alex Woken." Thanks for the info MBTC.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                The only thing that I found to be even slightly remarkable is that the Gophers dressed only 5 D for each game.

It isn't that big a deal because looking back to last season they usually only play 5 for most of the game. So they continued with that, 5 D played all of the shifts available for defenders.

Except that on Friday night they dressed 17 skaters, one less than they were allowed to dress. And on Saturday they completed the 18 dressed roster by dressing an extra forward and then had a dressed forward who as far as I can tell played zero shifts. They had a spot for a D which they did not use.

I do not know what this means.
                It means that Katie Robinson was home with a 103 degree fever and Sophie Skarzynski has a lower body injury that she said will be fine in time for next week. So I wouldn't worry about it.

The two goals they gave up were both careless defense. On the first, the Gophers got too excited about their shorthanded chances and forgot that Lindenwood was still on the man advantage and that, maybe, they should have enough players back for when the Lions took it up the ice. On the second, it looked like Paige Haley was expecting one of the defensemen to pick up the puck carrier as she came in, but the D in question sort of stood in no man's land instead; I didn't see who it was. They were both the kind of thing you can reasonably hope will get fixed.

At the other end, I thought the Gophers' main problem was that no one wanted to be that person who just takes the shot. Lindenwood really parked the bus in front of the net. When they were down two men in the second period, they just let the defensmen hold the puck inside the tops of the circles without pressuring them; it wasn't as extreme the rest of the time, but that was the mentality. Far too often, the Gophers looked for one more pass (and sometimes one more after that) rather than firing away. They had a 4-on-1 break in the second period that dissolved into nothing when they waited too long and one of the other defenders caught up to strip the puck. The power play seemed to be nothing more than someone getting the puck to the right of the goalie and passing it across the crease to someone waiting on the back door; it worked once, but was otherwise very frustrating to watch. I try not to be the guy who shouts, "Shoot the puck!" all the time, but this team needs to shoot the puck.

I thought the freshmen all looked good. Patti Marshall has the feel of being a player that could become special, much the way Sydney Baldwin did early in her freshman year. Alex Woken had moments, and Lindsay Agnew was impressive all weekend long

In all, it was a good first series. Some sloppiness, but nothing that screams that it will be an ongoing problem, except maybe the lack of shot taking.

Comment

I noticed the extra-pass issue on Friday, and to some extent it may be playing with new partners and not wanting to be selfish. We've seen that other years and the coaches usually get it straightened out.

Comment

I noticed the extra-pass issue on Friday, and to some extent it may be playing with new partners and not wanting to be selfish. We've seen that other years and the coaches usually get it straightened out.
                    One thing they've done in past years to get pucks on net through an opponents "boxed in" defense was to take blistering one-timer shots from the point. Move the puck around fast and set up the blast before the other team could react. Then again in past years we were blessed with some big, strong D who could really fire it hard off the pass, players like Schleper, Bozek, Jalosuo, Ramsey and McMillen. Even if not always on net those shots were often intimidating for anyone getting in the way! Hopefully we'll see more of that in coming games.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

No no no...There's no room in hockey for selfish play, be kind and generous and pass a plenty.

Playing BSU right out of the gate, then play UMD, fascinating 4 games coming up. This will go a long way in figuring out the wcha hierarchy after the top 2 early in the season.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Anyone know why Katie Robinson didn't get any ice last weekend? Is she hurt?

Comment

Originally posted by Ciscokid View Post
                          Anyone know why Katie Robinson didn't get any ice last weekend? Is she hurt?
                          Word is she needed a week to recover from something, no big deal.

Comment

I've been lurking for a bit, but decided to come out of the woodwork and introduce myself. My wife and I have been season ticket holders for a couple of years (we moved from the DC area to MN about 2.5 years ago) but this year will be our first as members of the Power Play Club. For those of you who may have been there, we were the ones with the toddler that Coach Frost made cry at the post-game reception on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by IDK View Post
                              I've been lurking for a bit, but decided to come out of the woodwork and introduce myself. My wife and I have been season ticket holders for a couple of years (we moved from the DC area to MN about 2.5 years ago) but this year will be our first as members of the Power Play Club. For those of you who may have been there, we were the ones with the toddler that Coach Frost made cry at the post-game reception on Sunday.
                              Welcome to the group(s)!

I wonder if Coach Frost has ever made anyone cry before

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                                Welcome to the group(s)!

I wonder if Coach Frost has ever made anyone cry before
                                HockeysBest?
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X