Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I wonder how Ritcher knows of Berry and his ability. The way Berry played he has to get a start next the series. Merrimack may be the type of team that Jurusik can have some success and get a little juju back, but he's so inconsistent.

Yesterday was a real quality win with special teams and goaltending earning the W. When's the last time UW had a game like that? Also a great bounceback win after a bad performance by critical players the night before.
    Not sure when, but either Posick or Perrin said that Mike Richter had seen Berry play and really liked what he saw out of him and has been talking him up quite a bit.

Anyone hear word on Besse's injury?
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      Not sure when, but either Posick or Perrin said that Mike Richter had seen Berry play and really liked what he saw out of him and has been talking him up quite a bit.

Anyone hear word on Besse's injury?
      Could have played Saturday but was held out by coaches as a precaution.
      WISCONSIN BADGERS
      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
        Could have played Saturday but was held out by coaches as a precaution.
        Well that is clearly good news! Another weekend off now to get healthy and try to continue to improve in all facets. I am very encouraged by the start of the season, but this team also needs more practice ice time together to continue their early season upward trajectory.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
          Well would you look at that...
          UW getting 42 points in the latest USCHO poll putting us in the "receiving votes" section, this would be 23rd place if they went beyond the top 20
          UW getting 7 points in the latest USA Today poll putting us in the "receiving votes" section, this would be 21st place if they went beyond the top 15
          UW sitting in 10th place in the latest RPI
          UW sitting at 10th place in the latest PWR
          UW sitting at 4th place in team offense with 4.33 goals scored per game
          UW sitting at 48th place in team defense with 3.83 goals allowed per game
          UW sitting at 9th place in PP with 9/40 - 22.58%
          UW sitting at 16th place in PK with 34/39 - 87.2%
          I know that it is entirely too early to take some of these things seriously, but this is surely a place that the team has not been in for a few years.
          Update

6 points in the USCHO poll, receiving votes - 28th
          RPI down to 17th
          PWR down to 17th
          Team O, 3.75 - 12th
          Team D, 3.5 - 44th
          PP, 24.00% - 9th
          PK, 89.6% - 9th

as predicted, we dropped in the polls, RPI, PWR. That is what happens when you split at home against a poor team.

Team O came down a little bit, but still pretty good.
          Team D came up w little bit thanks to Berry's performance
          PP went up a bit, PK went up a bit

I think the overall numbers are trending to a good place. Yeah, I don't like seeing Team O trending down either, but it is still at a pretty decent place. I'll take the slight dip in Team O to get PP getting better, the PK getting better, and the Team D getting better...3 positives offsets 1 negative in my book.
          If we can stay in the top 10 on PP and PK, keep the Team O in the top 16 and get the Team D up into the top half we should be OK for this year. I don't know if it would be a tournament team, but would be a fantastic improvement from last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
            Update

6 points in the USCHO poll, receiving votes - 28th
            RPI down to 17th
            PWR down to 17th
            Team O, 3.75 - 12th
            Team D, 3.5 - 44th
            PP, 24.00% - 9th
            PK, 89.6% - 9th

as predicted, we dropped in the polls, RPI, PWR. That is what happens when you split at home against a poor team.

Team O came down a little bit, but still pretty good.
            Team D came up w little bit thanks to Berry's performance
            PP went up a bit, PK went up a bit

I think the overall numbers are trending to a good place. Yeah, I don't like seeing Team O trending down either, but it is still at a pretty decent place. I'll take the slight dip in Team O to get PP getting better, the PK getting better, and the Team D getting better...3 positives offsets 1 negative in my book.
            If we can stay in the top 10 on PP and PK, keep the Team O in the top 16 and get the Team D up into the top half we should be OK for this year. I don't know if it would be a tournament team, but would be a fantastic improvement from last year.
            The staff has done the most critically important step of not having a slow start to the season as that would have seriously damaged the momentum from the coaching change. To be playing an exciting brand of hockey and be marginally nationally relevant when attention shifts from football is as close to a best case as most people would have hoped for after the last two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
              The staff has done the most critically important step of not having a slow start to the season as that would have seriously damaged the momentum from the coaching change. To be playing an exciting brand of hockey and be marginally nationally relevant when attention shifts from football is as close to a best case as most people would have hoped for after the last two seasons.
              I agree, there is only so much that can be expected this year. There is some talent that G2O inherited, but it is going to take another year or two for them to get a squad full of guys that can play their styles.

I think the big watershed moment is going to be after semester break. That is typically when the numbers pick up a little bit. If there is the energy to bring the usual people back and maybe a few extras...that would be as good as anyone could reasonably expect.

I think keeping the special teams in the top 10 will be a big step. If you are consistently putting pucks in the net on the PP and shutting them down on PK, that gets people excited (we'll have to wait and see what the penalty rate looks like 1/2 way through the season).

Comment

So how did Jack Berry look? I gave my ducats to Jr.MissMCR since I didn't want to rush back from Evanston High School stadium. I asked her how he looked and she told me, "Dad, I don't analyze the goalies like you; I just go to cheer and enjoy hockey." It sounded like overall the Badgers played better putting less pressure on Berry. Thoughts?

In a previous post I didn't mean to knock the NAHL; I was just trying to make a point, and then I remember that's where Berry came from.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                  I agree, there is only so much that can be expected this year. There is some talent that G2O inherited, but it is going to take another year or two for them to get a squad full of guys that can play their styles.
                  I agree, but in a month if they sit where they are now - on the fringe of the PWR - they could put the NCAA's out there as a (somewhat) realistic goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    So how did Jack Berry look? I gave my ducats to Jr.MissMCR since I didn't want to rush back from Evanston High School stadium. I asked her how he looked and she told me, "Dad, I don't analyze the goalies like you; I just go to cheer and enjoy hockey." It sounded like overall the Badgers played better putting less pressure on Berry. Thoughts?

In a previous post I didn't mean to knock the NAHL; I was just trying to make a point, and then I remember that's where Berry came from.
                    Plenty of quality goalies come from the NAHL. Goalie is an interesting position because only one generally plays per game and the top tender often plays the majority of the games.

That said, I think we know what we have with Jurusik at the college level, time to give the others a chance to see what they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      So how did Jack Berry look?
                      Overall I thought he did well. Good positioning on most shots. Side-to-side could be faster but it's not a huge problem. Rebound control was alright. He was a calming presence from the back end; that's the most important part.

Comment

Other people and myself have noticed that McGuire is listed as a senior on the roster. Technically this would be his Redshirt Junior season so I wonder if he is giving up his final year of eligibility next year.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Somewhat unrelated.....

I have two extra tickets for Sat vs. Merrimack and I don't want to sell them to the scalpers for pennies on the dollar. Anyone have any good places to sell them close to the KC for face - or close to face value.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

Merrimack is coning in on the heels of a 4 game winless streak. Got put some fish in the freezer this weekend.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Merrimack is coning in on the heels of a 4 game winless streak. Got put some fish in the freezer this weekend.
                              Maybe with the gun opener this Saturday we could put some venison in there too?

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
                                Maybe with the gun opener this Saturday we could put some venison in there too?
                                That'll work too for the deer folks. I have to say my freezer full enough to last the winter on the fish front, now it's all about soaking some suckers on my sleeper musky lake if time allows.

Hopefully Besse is a go this weekend. I can't see how Berry can't get another shot in game 1 this weekend.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X