X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-2018

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    8 days til Korean BBQ. I just hope the meat isn't tough again.
    Don't expect much of a game Sat. Shattuck-St.Mary's Prep beat Korean Nat team handedly last night 7-2!
    Sophomore forward Makenna Webster and Wisconsin commit had a hat-trick. Think Koreans play 5 WCHA teams in coming couple weeks!
    #goingtobeugly

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
      Don't expect much of a game Sat. Shattuck-St.Mary's Prep beat Korean Nat team handedly last night 7-2!
      Sophomore forward Makenna Webster and Wisconsin commit had a hat-trick. Think Koreans play 5 WCHA teams in coming couple weeks!
      #goingtobeugly
      Oh baby! I can't wait to lay a double digit spot on Saturday. The only question is I'm not sure UW has a F on the roster as good as Webster.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Oh baby! I can't wait to lay a double digit spot on Saturday. The only question is I'm not sure UW has a F on the roster as good as Webster.
        Only 8-0. Biggest news is Cece is hurt and has not been on the ice at all during the preseason activities, what a bummer o rama. Each goalie played 1 period, nothing can be gleaned from what I saw in their performances due to the S Korean team's abilities and MJ said not to read into the order in which they played; Campbell-Baldwin-Blesi.

The puck was in the S Korean zone 80% of the time (15% neutral zone, 5% UW zone), so it was hard to see breakout creativity or who has some neutral zone speed. S Korea did a good job not getting beat one on one. UW ran their typical fore-check where they cycle low along the board and either pass through the slot or the F goes up high and trades the puck and position with the D and they rocket down low to try and make something happen.

What stood out to me.......Pettet has some wheels, Hanzlik gets in the right spot but her hands may not be quick enough yet to finish, Steffen is so decisive, Posick's played physically like an upper classman, Shaver was faster. I'm a little bummed it wasn't a tougher test to learn more about the players.

Lines:
        Kepler Roque Norby
        Wellhausen Shaver Pettet
        Cogan Drake Mauermann
        Posick Schneider Hanzik

Gardner Rolfes
        Williams Steffen
        Bowlby Buchbinder
        Rowe

We did not sieve and I even clapped during their intro, I guess I'm getting soft. We did cheer our team on of course. There were a lot of S Korean fans in the stands. They were really jacked up to get the chance to see their team play in person, their enthusiasm was great to be around. You could tell they appreciated the opportunity and I'm glad I was able to be in their midst. I'd say attendance was 1400 ish, a great turnout.

Comment

Only 8-0. Biggest news is Cece is hurt and has not been on the ice at all during the preseason activities, what a bummer o rama. Each goalie played 1 period, nothing can be gleaned from what I saw in their performances due to the S Korean team's abilities and MJ said not to read into the order in which they played; Campbell-Baldwin-Blesi.

The puck was in the S Korean zone 80% of the time (15% neutral zone, 5% UW zone), so it was hard to see breakout creativity or who has some neutral zone speed. S Korea did a good job not getting beat one on one. UW ran their typical fore-check where they cycle low along the board and either pass through the slot or the F goes up high and trades the puck and position with the D and they rocket down low to try and make something happen.

What stood out to me.......Pettet has some wheels, Hanzlik gets in the right spot but her hands may not be quick enough yet to finish, Steffen is so decisive, Posick's played physically like an upper classman, Shaver was faster. I'm a little bummed it wasn't a tougher test to learn more about the players.

Lines:
          Kepler Roque Norby
          Wellhausen Shaver Pettet
          Cogan Drake Mauermann
          Posick Schneider Hanzik

Gardner Rolfes
          Williams Steffen
          Bowlby Buchbinder
          Rowe

We did not sieve and I even clapped during their intro, I guess I'm getting soft. We did cheer our team on of course. There were a lot of S Korean fans in the stands. They were really jacked up to get the chance to see their team play in person, their enthusiasm was great to be around. You could tell they appreciated the opportunity and I'm glad I was able to be in their midst. I'd say attendance was 1400 ish, a great turnout.
          You failed to mention that S Korea won the pre planned shoot out after the game 2-1 in 6 rounds! I'm sure S Korean fans got some solace out of that fact!

Comment

• Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
            You failed to mention that S Korea won the pre planned shoot out after the game 2-1 in 6 rounds! I'm sure S Korean fans got some solace out of that fact!
            South Korea should be playing D3 teams. 60 shots against and only 5 shots for including no shots on goal at all in the 3rd period?! They don't belong on the same ice. There's nothing to be learned in games like this other than you can't possibly compete with D1 teams. Not even sure they would be able to beat a D3 team.

Comment

Originally posted by HNIF View Post
              Pankowski has been centralized to the USA National Team and most likely will play in the Olympics. She will not play college hockey this season.
              Oh, good grief. I should have known. Funny thing is each time I google "USA women's hockey" or anything like it, I get different results with old rosters. Plus, she was still on the UW roster according to the WCHA site.
              Too bad about Cece. Hope it's not anything too serious.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                South Korea should be playing D3 teams. 60 shots against and only 5 shots for including no shots on goal at all in the 3rd period?! They don't belong on the same ice. There's nothing to be learned in games like this other than you can't possibly compete with D1 teams. Not even sure they would be able to beat a D3 team.
                Well, they're going to be playing in the Olympics regardless.

Comment

D3s can't start skating until 10/15 or so.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

There's nothing to be learned in games like this other than you can't possibly compete with D1 teams.
                    The international game is speedy, so I'd think that playing D-I teams will be a step in the right direction toward speeding the Koreans up. It isn't like they are medal hopefuls, so the most important thing is to get them to play their best game possible in front of their home fans. They've rank in the 20s internationally for years, so they already know what teams of that level look like. Now they have to be able to coexist on the ice with the teams in the top 10 internationally, so they'll need to be thrown into the deep water and figure out how to stay afloat. It isn't about learning to win, but it is about demonstrating that they can exist on the same ice as the other Olympic teams.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      The international game is speedy, so I'd think that playing D-I teams will be a step in the right direction toward speeding the Koreans up. It isn't like they are medal hopefuls, so the most important thing is to get them to play their best game possible in front of their home fans. They've rank in the 20s internationally for years, so they already know what teams of that level look like. Now they have to be able to coexist on the ice with the teams in the top 10 internationally, so they'll need to be thrown into the deep water and figure out how to stay afloat. It isn't about learning to win, but it is about demonstrating that they can exist on the same ice as the other Olympic teams.
                      I manage a midget AA team in the Toronto area and we've been playing team China for the last 4 years. The series is 3-1 in their favour but all the games are within 1 or 2 goals. China is ranked 17th in the world and Korea is 22nd. Can't see how Korea beats a D3 school if China can't pull away from a midget AA team.

Comment

60 shots against and only 5 shots for including no shots on goal at all in the 3rd period?!

I only saw the first period (UW volleyball starting at 7 PM, hockey started at 6 PM), so I can't say about the three second period SOGs, but one of the two in the first period was a dump in for a line change that happened to be on net. I don't recall the other first period 'shot'.

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
                          Yeah UW played their most inexperienced goalie and no heavy hitters shot in the shootout, the 7th D was the second shooter, LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            D3s can't start skating until 10/15 or so.
                            So they should be playing 19U teams and Canadian Midget AA girls teams between now and when D3 teams are allowed to start playing games. The South Koreans would learn a lot more by doing that than just getting their D-zone coverage destroyed by D1 teams.

Comment

So they should be playing 19U teams and Canadian Midget AA girls teams between now and when D3 teams are allowed to start playing games. The South Koreans would learn a lot more by doing that than just getting their D-zone coverage destroyed by D1 teams.
                              The Chinese national team has done exactly that.

Comment

I think they'd have a chance against Robert Morris based on what I saw in the UW/RM game last year and what I saw last Saturday. Bob Morris had 0 chance against UW right from the drop of the puck. I am curious to see how they fare against the rest of the WCHA. Might be tighter than we think, but they will be burned out by the last few games, of course how tired do you get when you don't leave your own zone?

Comment

Working...
                                X