Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
    To add insult to injury, North Dakota had one woman commit over the weekend (she tweeted it), and TODAY had a player land at 12:30 CDT at the airport for a recruiting visit to North Dakota, according to Brad Schlossman, whom I trust. You CANNOT make this crap up. North Dakota administration is a bunch of idiots
    You must be a lefty for sure, you see, it works like this ... you cannot spend money you do not have
    every man, woman, and child, owes over $60,000 as their part of the national debt, and it is $20,000 for just last year (and you wonder how the Dems lost)

so tell me, how would you pay your share if the debt collector came calling?
    for the math challenged: a family of 4 owes just under a 1/4 million

"UND had one player in the 2006 Olympic Games, three in the 2010 Games and eight in 2014—the Lamoureuxs played for the U.S., Michelle Karvinen, Anna Kilponen, Vilma Tanskanen and Susanna Tapani played for Finland and Tanja Eisenschmid and Susanne Fellner played for Germany."

could be part of the reason, it's a great sport if you are from anywhere except North Dakota
    Last edited by pokechecker; 03-29-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Do not take the bait, people.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        Aren't most teams already stacked to their limit for next season by now? Surely the scholarships are gone, so these North Dakota players will have a hard time finding spots elsewhere, unless they plan to stay at North Dakota and just be students on their North Dakota scholarships.
        Well, the late signing period is in April so some programs may still have scholarship money available if they haven't verbally committed it all away yet.

What about PSU who I understand has had a number of defections due to the turmoil in that program?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Well, the late signing period is in April so some programs may still have scholarship money available if they haven't verbally committed it all away yet.

What about PSU who I understand has had a number of defections due to the turmoil in that program?
          I wonder how many of the scholarship players who can't find their way onto a team for next year might stay the year at NoDak under schollie, red shirt, and find their way onto a team with some space in the following year's class? They could probably get a year of grad school paid for that way.

That's trying to polish a turd, I know, but it's something.
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I haven't heard of any defections from the program, and Brandwene left in January, so those issues associated with him are over. They did have a somewhat short roster this past season, but have six incoming freshmen replacing the four graduating seniors. It would be great to get some WCHA-level players at Penn State, for sure, but it looks like they're full for next season (barring any surprises).

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              They were compelled by the Legislature to cut $1.3 million from their athletic budget.
              Maybe one of these days, states will realize that resource extraction is never a stable base upon which to build a tax base.

Comment

I'm sure each player will be exploring and considering all of the options available, and then do what she believes is in her best interest. Obviously the younger and most talented will have the best opportunity to transfer and continue to play D1 at another school. As far as UND's committed recruits go, I would imagine they're fair game for other D1 coaches to contact and offer financial aid of some sort?
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  Maybe one of these days, states will realize that resource extraction is never a stable base upon which to build a tax base.
                  Yeah, in retrospect the state should have looked to its vibrant ports, burgeoning start ups in the Red River "silicon" Valley and its nonpareil financial services industry for its revenue needs.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Coaches will make room for talent pool coming from the Sioux exodus. If I was a bubble kid at some schools I would hit the weight room. At least no one will finish in 8th place this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      Well, you've/they've got the Saudi's retribution to thank for that after you/they thank your government for devising the criminal petro-dollar arrangement in conjunction with the Saudis and then embarking on a dominate the planet crusade with their incompetent, dishonest and disastrous foreign policy over the last 25 years spinning such a lying tangled web that there was no way out eventually causing the Saudi's to feel betrayed and...you've got the North Dakota situation that you are referring to (in addition to many others including Canada). It's simple, but it's complicated, but it's simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
                        If I was a bubble kid at some schools I would hit the weight room.
                        Hilarious...couldn't stop laughing. But, excellent advice.

Comment

This is worse than most know...

From what I've been seeing this year, a major change in the recruiting timetable has occurred. D1 women's hockey programs are now working on recruiting 9th graders (and I'm not kidding, 8th graders too), with scholarships no longer available for incoming classes for 2017 (of course) and 2018; most of the 2019 scholarship slots are gone, and even some incoming 2020's are no longer available. The timing of this announcement and this significant change in the recruiting timetable has developed into a perfect (and terrible) storm.

So not only do players on the current team have slim pickings for scholarships at other schools, but this is also true for high school seniors, juniors, and most of the sophomores with a scholarship commitment to North Dakota. I'm sure some of them will find homes, but generally speaking, this decision just made it a very steep climb for 6 years worth of UND women hockey players.

The interesting thing to watch is what D1 coaches are going to do. What does a coach on the hot seat do if they can grab a better recruit off the UND commit list than what they've got coming in? In other words, are there coaches desperate enough to de-commit on a verbal to take on a better UND player?

This is a mess, and there are about 30+ current and future scholarship players and their families that are directly affected and having to deal with it right now. My sincere best wishes to them all.

Comment

Good points Puck Rush. If current coaches want climb in the standings they will surely make room for talented players. Big Ten schools are locked in with scholarships for 4 years but state schools are year to year on the scholarships. Not usually good business to run kids off but upgrade in talent is just that and helps them win.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
                              Bad precedent set here. St. Cloud has had budget issues also and could save themselves a million dollars in one fell swoop. Bad day for women's hockey.
                              SCSU could not just cut the women's team because that's our Only D-1 women's sport.
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Well, you've/they've got the Saudi's retribution to thank for that after you/they thank your government for devising the criminal petro-dollar arrangement in conjunction with the Saudis and then embarking on a dominate the planet crusade with their incompetent, dishonest and disastrous foreign policy over the last 25 years spinning such a lying tangled web that there was no way out eventually causing the Saudi's to feel betrayed and...you've got the North Dakota situation that you are referring to (in addition to many others including Canada). It's simple, but it's complicated, but it's simple.
                                It's a lot simpler than that: commodity prices are volatile, full stop. They always have been, and they always will be. Any government that relies upon resource extraction as the basis of its revenue needs to keep that in mind during the boom times, but almost none of them ever do. Norway is the major exception to that.

Comment

Working...
                                X