2017 National Championship Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 National Championship Thread

IMO there was a pretty decent crowd for the later game on Friday and definitely more people on Saturday. It got pretty noisy at times on Saturday, I thought it definitely helped Norwich out with the showing they had. As for the coming and going issue, I figured since the aud has a strict no reentry policy that no one would be able to just walk in and walk out freely. Yeah it stinks, but just the way it works I guess. It was a great weekend and kept hearing nothing but positive things from each team's supporters. It definitely showed on the ice with 3 great games played. I may be biased lol but I think Utica should host this more often, well done by everyone involved.
    Utica Pioneers Hockey
    2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
    2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
    2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
    2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      Personally, I prefer the proposal of playing DI and DIII Women at the same site, as long as it's not way out in St. Louis like it was this year. DIII Women had a packed house (in a relatively small rink) for the games involving the host team this year, especially since Adrian had the prime time slot (which was likely Plattsburgh's choice as top seed, and Houle likes the early semi)

While playing DIII M&W at the same site would make it easier for me, by far, I don't like the optics of it if the women are reduced to a side show.
      Next year the D1/2 women are at Ridder. D3 men is, I believe, Lake Placid.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Next year the D1/2 women are at Ridder. D3 men is, I believe, Lake Placid.
        Correct
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by UCfan30 View Post
          IMO there was a pretty decent crowd for the later game on Friday and definitely more people on Saturday. It got pretty noisy at times on Saturday, I thought it definitely helped Norwich out with the showing they had. As for the coming and going issue, I figured since the aud has a strict no reentry policy that no one would be able to just walk in and walk out freely. Yeah it stinks, but just the way it works I guess. It was a great weekend and kept hearing nothing but positive things from each team's supporters. It definitely showed on the ice with 3 great games played. I may be biased lol but I think Utica should host this more often, well done by everyone involved.
          Utica did a PHENOMENAL jobs as hosts. I was thoroughly impressed with everything they did at the rink. Gil Burgmaster, Laurel Simer, David Sietsma with tickets at the Comets, all the rink staff etc. did a FANTASTIC job. Can't say it enough how welcoming Utica was with everything. Would love to see them host again.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
            I compared Will Pelltier to Keith Accoin to a couple of members of this years team and one kid referred to Pelltier as "Accoin 2.0" as well. Both great players for sure...Will has such awesome speed and besides being a great scoring threat...is a great playmaker. Actually I was worried about him when he came back...because he never backs down and made some solid hits including the Castleton game.

Accoin was just as equal to the task. But at my age with a fading memory...I can still see Accoin not going through a defensive pair...but jumping their sticks with the puck and putting it in the back net past a dazed goalie. That pair would make my All Star line any day...along with Pier Oliver Coutnier. Three NU greats for sure.

Now it's time for the Red Sox... And just imagine if they won another series...then between the Pats...the Cadets...and the Sox...I'd have hit the trifecta.
            Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
            Aucoin
            Also Cotnoir

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              No way in the world we were going to subsist on Aud food for 7 hours. We can easily survive without beer for that span, but chicken fingers and fries..?
              Originally posted by soccermaniac919 View Post
              Anyone who doesn't attend a Final Four in their own home town, regardless of the reasons, is not a true hockey fan.
              Hell, we came back on Saturday just so we could get more of the Kookie's BBQ! (jk).

We've been to the finals in Lake Placid a few times, and went to Lewiston. Utica was fine. It's a nice venue, the food was fine, and you don't really have a lot of time to go out between the Friday games anyway. 90 minute drive from home was do-able (would have been even more do-able if the Lakers were in, but....). I would have rather had beer too, but the NCAA won't have that. And judging from some of the Trinity faithful, it was a good decision- many of them came "pre-lubed".

Agree with all the attendance discussion above, and $40 for three very good championship games didn't really break the bank. I thought the first game between St. Norberts and Trinity was the best "hockey game" of the three, but the Norwich/Adrian overtime was fun, and a championship game is worth watching no matter what. I do think Adrian outplayed the Cadets for at least 60% of their game. Norwich had limited zone time- but made the most of it when they were there. For the most part the Bulldogs kept it pretty clean. And being from Oswego I'm an ABA guy- Anybody But Adrian.

We're looking forward to Lake Placid next year- the best place for the games. But we don't need much of an excuse to get up to LP anyway.

"Re-Entry Policy:

As of September 1, 2016, the Utica Memorial Auditorium will have a No Re-Entry policy for all events.

This policy comes from the direction of the Upper Mohawk Valley Memorial Auditorium Authority Chairman, Carl Annese. “For the safety of our fans, there will be no re-entry at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. The policy is meant to provide a safe environment to enjoy all the events at The AUD,” said Annese."
              Oswego State 1980 Grad
              (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Utica did a PHENOMENAL jobs as hosts. I was thoroughly impressed with everything they did at the rink. Gil Burgmaster, Laurel Simer, David Sietsma with tickets at the Comets, all the rink staff etc. did a FANTASTIC job. Can't say it enough how welcoming Utica was with everything. Would love to see them host again.
                Of course you thought it was fantastic. You won.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                  Compared to the clown show that was the ticketing procedure in Adrian for the women's championships the week before (along with the horrific officiating across the board - but that's not Adrian's fault), I'd say Utica did a **** fine job, and I didn't even have a horse in the race!
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                    Compared to the clown show that was the ticketing procedure in Adrian for the women's championships the week before (along with the horrific officiating across the board - but that's not Adrian's fault), I'd say Utica did a **** fine job, and I didn't even have a horse in the race!
                    Where did I say or even imply Utica did a poor job?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                      Where did I say or even imply Utica did a poor job?
                      You didn't. Nor does it appear CARDS tried to insinuate that you did

Comment

• Re: 2017 National Championship Thread

Would have said the same thing if Adrian won 5-4 on Friday.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Don't think that was the set of criteria that he used.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            +1

Comment

Sir Nubbers with another comment for the trash bin!

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                Would have said the same thing if Adrian won 5-4 on Friday.
                                Sure you did. Which is why you were compelled to respond to my "observation."

Comment

Working...
                                X