Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
    One has to wonder, what would Norwich's record be if they played another 4 quality D3 teams, and didn't beat up on D2 squads.

#NotMyRegionalRankings
    Do you honestly think Oswego deserves to be the clear cut #1? I've seen your tears throughout many boards still complaining about the rankings.

By no means will I say Norwich is the obvious #1. But against similar opponents (Plattsburgh, Naz and Williams) Oswego is 2-3 whereas Norwich is 3-0. This statistic alone smashes your point especially with Norwich's overall record. Could you really put Oswego ahead of them right now (on paper)? The answer is no. Yes there are some weaker teams on Norwich's schedule but everyone seems to be acting like St. Anselm and St. Michaels are lower than any other D3 team. Look right on Oswego's board and you will find a post stating the div 2 schools are very comparable to some of the ECAC-W teams Oswego plays.

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
      Do you honestly think Oswego deserves to be the clear cut #1? I've seen your tears throughout many boards still complaining about the rankings.

By no means will I say Norwich is the obvious #1. But against similar opponents (Plattsburgh, Naz and Williams) Oswego is 2-3 whereas Norwich is 3-0. This statistic alone smashes your point especially with Norwich's overall record. Could you really put Oswego ahead of them right now (on paper)? The answer is no. Yes there are some weaker teams on Norwich's schedule but everyone seems to be acting like St. Anselm and St. Michaels are lower than any other D3 team. Look right on Oswego's board and you will find a post stating the div 2 schools are very comparable to some of the ECAC-W teams Oswego plays.
      And ultimately it doesn't matter. Assuming both teams are in the NCAA tournament, the proof will be in who has the better showing. The regional rankings are for two reasons - regional seedings and at large selection. Seedings to me is a false issue. If you are good enough, it doesn't matter whether you are #1E or #2E. To say "we didn't win because we got too low a seed" is just plain foolish whether you play a top team in the first round or in the finals what matters is winning the game ahead of you. You don't need validation from a committee - you just need to win games. There will ultimately be 11 losers and 1 winner in the NCAAs. If Oswego is not in the field, that means they lost somewhere along the line. If Norwich is not in the field it means they lost somewhere along the line.

The rankings are determined according to the NCAA guidelines. Learn them - live with them.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Any seeding discussion involving Oswego is probably moot anyway as it's almost assured they would be grouped with Adrian and Hobart no matter what their seeding is. That said, I think Norwich is the clear #1 in the east right now.
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95
        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
          Any seeding discussion involving Oswego is probably moot anyway as it's almost assured they would be grouped with Adrian and Hobart no matter what their seeding is. That said, I think Norwich is the clear #1 in the east right now.
          Agreed. Norwich has earned their simple(r) path to Utica. Imho, Oswego fans should have bigger beef with Endicott than Norwich. They will likely be getting a sweet geographical advantage of hosting lower seeded East teams, even if they come in behind Oz for seeding in the end, while the Lakers need to scrape out the SUNYAC to at least ensure they're hosting the Bulldogs for a quarterfinal. Geography is what it is, I suppose...500 mile range bollocking.

But perhaps I'm discounting Hobart's capabilities and/or overestimating Adrian... to the latter's point, Adrian could be considered just as much of a contender this year as their previous NCAA appearances, yes?
          "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
          this is for you."
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

Yes I would count Adrian as dangerous.

SNC did sweep Adrian at Arrington this year, the first time Adrian had ever been swept at home. But SNC struggled down the stretch and couldn't parlay that sweep into the regular-season title. Whereas Adrian was able to get the wins it needed to win The Peters Cup. Some of that is on SNC for stumbling, but that doesn't take anything away from the Bulldogs for doing what needed to be done.

It would appear that both Adrian and SNC should make the tournament, and it will be tough for the Knights to win again at Airington but we will see
            St. Norbert College Green Knights
            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
            ---
            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
              Good enough to reach Utica, and untested enough to lose in the NEHC tourney. Honestly, if they grinded their way to a national title (and it would have to be a grind), I would be surprised, but not shocked. I also would not be shocked if they bowed out in the first round.

I believe I will be watching them in Utica, but we'll see
              I believe enough to have (with the option to cancel) hotel reservations in Utica.
              The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by spwood View Post
                Nothing is assured, if a team that isn't Adrian, or St Norbert wins the NCHA, Oswego may be playing more Eastern teams.
                http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  And ultimately it doesn't matter. Assuming both teams are in the NCAA tournament, the proof will be in who has the better showing. The regional rankings are for two reasons - regional seedings and at large selection. Seedings to me is a false issue. If you are good enough, it doesn't matter whether you are #1E or #2E. To say "we didn't win because we got too low a seed" is just plain foolish whether you play a top team in the first round or in the finals what matters is winning the game ahead of you. You don't need validation from a committee - you just need to win games. There will ultimately be 11 losers and 1 winner in the NCAAs. If Oswego is not in the field, that means they lost somewhere along the line. If Norwich is not in the field it means they lost somewhere along the line.

The rankings are determined according to the NCAA guidelines. Learn them - live with them.
                  While the old cliche "If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best." generally applies, there's no reasonable way in the world to discount the seedings as insignificant.

A 1st-round bye, and then staying home for the next game, is a huge advantage. No two ways about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    While the old cliche "If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best." generally applies, there's no reasonable way in the world to discount the seedings as insignificant.

A 1st-round bye, and then staying home for the next game, is a huge advantage. No two ways about it.
                    Chances are 1E and 2E both get a bye, and he was talking about the distinction between those seeds. I will agree with you, a bye is huge. But he is also correct in saying that the exact seed is insignificant.
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Remember folks, Adrian owes the NCAA some suspensions.

Now who's in? Who's praying for favorable results from future games to get in?

MASCAC - AQ and that's it
                      CCC - AQ only
                      NESCAC - right now AQ only. May change based on Tuesday's rankings.
                      NEHC - Norwich is in. NEC needs to win.
                      SUNYAC - Oswego is in. Platty looks like it needs a W.
                      NCHA - SNC and Adrian appear to be locks.
                      MIAC - AQ

The loser of Pool B looks like a Pool C. That's two taken. Who is fighting or praying for the remaining 2 slots??
                      Last edited by joecct; 02-26-2017, 09:22 AM.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Noted:
                        http://d3hockey.com/releases/men/201...tal-discipline
                        SNC Men:
                        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                        SNC Women:
                        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Now who's in? Who's praying for favorable results from future games to get in?

MASCAC - AQ and that's it
                          CCC - AQ only
                          NESCAC - right now AQ only. May change based on Tuesday's rankings.
                          NEHC - Norwich is in. NEC needs to win.
                          SUNYAC - Oswego is in. Platty looks like it needs a W.
                          NCHA - SNC and Adrian appear to be locks.
                          MIAC - AQ

The loser of Pool B looks like a Pool C. That's two taken. Who is fighting or praying for the remaining 2 slots??
                          Does Plattsburgh really even have a real chance at all for a bid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by CardFan View Post

Yes. If they win Saturday they have a 100% chance to get a bid
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                              Yes. If they win Saturday they have a 100% chance to get a bid
                              Lol! No man I get that! Just was thinking realistically no out side of there but was left a tiny bit open above!

Comment

• Originally posted by CardFan View Post

I'd say they have a 50/50 shot of getting in
                                http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Working...
                                X