Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Womens Worlds In Burlington 4/7 - 4/14 Who's Going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Womens Worlds In Burlington 4/7 - 4/14 Who's Going?

Turns out I have one ticket Available for Saturday, US vs. Canada.

Section 1, Row E

I can be emailed through here, meanwhile several posters know other ways to reach me.

Worst case, I'll be at Buffalo Wild Wings on Saturday by 4ish, likely hanging with Hux and DC.
    Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

I decided to go US vs Canada.
      I park over by the UVM Davis Center on the Hospital side of Williston Rd & walk. It is much easier.
      The last time I saw the two teams play in-person was the pre-olympic tour in 1998 @ Gutterson.
      Look forward to the game.
      Last edited by 2badknees; 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM. Reason: left out words oops

Comment

Too far for us from Dallas

Its opening day tho!

Will try to catch some of the games and will keep up with scores. GO USA!!!

Comment

Well, I read that the attendance at the USA vs Canada game last night was 3,900, so it sounds like the fans are coming out. That is exactly 135 people away from being a sellout at the 4,035-seat Gutterson Fieldhouse. Cannot wait to see those Medal Games next Saturday. We will try to get to BW3 Friday night. Look for the weary travelers in the Ohio State gear (LOL)!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Well, I read that the attendance at the USA vs Canada game last night was 3,900, so it sounds like the fans are coming out. That is exactly 135 people away from being a sellout at the 4,035-seat Gutterson Fieldhouse. Cannot wait to see those Medal Games next Saturday. We will try to get to BW3 Friday night. Look for the weary travelers in the Ohio State gear (LOL)!
            It was announced as a sell out and having been at the game, I can vouch for the fact it was jammed. I think they took away 135 seats from the normal capacity to account for seats taken up by the "Media Tribune" which is the press box but the IIHF calls it a tribune for some reason. Also, one of the sections that is normally the side the UVM students sit in is not being sold to the general public. It is a team credentialed only area for players, coaches, etc to watch the games.

As packed as the Gut was on Saturday, I was a little disappointed in the noise. I felt like the crowd was mainly a mixture of people in the 50s and 60s and then young kids. Even with the US scoring 5 goals in the first what...6 minutes? It never really got that loud and people were sitting on the their hands.

I guess thats the type of crowd though that attends these type of things and to expect a rowdy "college hockey" type atmosphere or world junior atmopshere was a bit shortsighted on my part.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              It was announced as a sell out and having been at the game, I can vouch for the fact it was jammed. I think they took away 135 seats from the normal capacity to account for seats taken up by the "Media Tribune" which is the press box but the IIHF calls it a tribune for some reason. Also, one of the sections that is normally the side the UVM students sit in is not being sold to the general public. It is a team credentialed only area for players, coaches, etc to watch the games.

As packed as the Gut was on Saturday, I was a little disappointed in the noise. I felt like the crowd was mainly a mixture of people in the 50s and 60s and then young kids. Even with the US scoring 5 goals in the first what...6 minutes? It never really got that loud and people were sitting on the their hands.

I guess thats the type of crowd though that attends these type of things and to expect a rowdy "college hockey" type atmosphere or world junior atmopshere was a bit shortsighted on my part.
              Cause we were bored out of our mines. 5 goals in six mins. Call us when you get a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                Cause we were bored out of our mines. 5 goals in six mins. Call us when you get a game.
                Do you think Canadians would be bored beating the USA 9-2? That rink would be electric if it was played in Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, etc and the score was reversed.

There is nothing better than pasting your arch-rival. I wasn't bored once and was loving every minute of the complete and utter domination.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Well, I don't think it was boredom. More like shock...from both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    Do you think Canadians would be bored beating the USA 9-2? That rink would be electric if it was played in Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, etc and the score was reversed.

There is nothing better than pasting your arch-rival. I wasn't bored once and was loving every minute of the complete and utter domination.
                    Suspect that a tight game keeps the crowd engaged a whole lot more than a one sided affair, so not surprised it was not as loud as you would have expected during the game. There was plenty of noise and American flag waving early in the game.

Comment

I wasn't there , but I'm with Prez and thinking I would have been entertained, not the least bit bored and having a good time were I fortunate enough to attend.

Also suspect Prez is correct in his speculation regarding a hypothetical atmosphere had the game been in a Canadian locale with game circumstances reversed. It's pure speculation of course and may vary from one fan to another.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I was among the quiet ones, happy to see our American team succeed, but with my daughter having 3 teammates on TC.....all whom I had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with, I'll admit I was rooting for their own personal success as well.

Let's talk actual hockey for a minute.... starting goalie gets pulled after the first four if I remember correctly, and I believe the period ended at 5-0. Then, the same starting goalie gets reinserted for the remainder. Guessing among this crowd that there are different interpretations out there....love to hear 'em.

Also, in the Olympics 3 years ago, I was among those questioning the relative age of our US team ....... meanwhile, in talking with SEVERAL Canadian friends over the last couple of days, their consensus seems to be the same regarding TC. Betting there are a few mixed opinions on this notion as well.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
                        Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

I was thinking it was more of a stunned silence. Labonte got the hook after 3 in 3:32 all of which I thought were shaky goals. The first, she had ample opportunity to cover the loose puck, in fact she had her glove on it but JLam dug it out and deposited it. I think she felt the whistle should have gone. IIRC the next 2 were second chances on sloppy rebounds. I thought the tug was appropriate. Szabbados didn't fare much better initially as Chu deposited a PP goal from the goal line with the low post uncovered but I thought she did settle down and played ok for the rest of the period. I know coaches who will tell you they pull the starter in an attempt to motivate their team but I am not a fan of "reinstalling" the pulled keeper after an intermission barring injury. A little difficult on the psyche. Playing Szabados against the Finns was also an interesting move.
                          To me the big difference was the US played with speed and laserbeam passing while the Canucks seemed like they were skating in cement. How about Pucci jumping up on the rush and scoring on a sweet pass from MLam. Now that's attack

Comment

I think the quick goals did contribute to the silence. Because many of the players on both teams play(ed) together in college, a lot of the fans have forged friendships with both the players and the parents from the opposite team. While as a USA fan, I was a bit stunned, and certainly happy and proud of the decisive way they took over the game, I am not about to rub it the face by hooting and hollering at or in front of the Canadian friend beside me as USA added nail after nail to the coffin that night. I readily admit to politely clapping at all of the goals.

That said, I didn't count TC out until midway through the third when it became clear that between USA's overwhelming lead and momentum and time running out for Canada, that there could not be a comeback.

The stunner for me was the next day against Finland, when despite playing against Raty, whose accomplishments need not be stated, Canada looked flat throughout much of the game. I expected them to come out as hard and fast as USA had the day before. It will be interesting to see how they play against Russia today after a day of rest. Russia doesn't have a lot of offensive punch, but they were able to contain Team USA better than Canada did for the first 30 minutes at least.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                              The stunner for me was the next day against Finland, when despite playing against Raty, whose accomplishments need not be stated, Canada looked flat throughout much of the game. I expected them to come out as hard and fast as USA had the day before. It will be interesting to see how they play against Russia today after a day of rest. Russia doesn't have a lot of offensive punch, but they were able to contain Team USA better than Canada did for the first 30 minutes at least.
                              Had a similar reaction/assesment. Saw that one on the tube, and the looks on the Canadian players faces during the post game anthem was very telling. It looked like they were the loosing team.

Hope they can right the ship before the medal round later this week. Even if they can get their mojo going, US looks very impressive sofar, so they will be tough to beat. Silently wondering if the five years of US domination at the U18 level is starting to filter through to the senior level.

I know this is an American board, and I have many American friends, including several of the posters on this thread, still cheering for the Maple Leaf to Get 'er Done. I Definitely would not fall into the rub it in category, if the score was reversed.

Go Canucks Go.
                              Last edited by OnMAA; 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Canada nets tough win over Finns

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...080/story.html
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X