This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-14 (Part II): Crash before the Phoenix

speaking of the weather, i predict a 50% chance it rains. 50% chance it doesn't.

Comment

Tired of having this conversation every January. Most of these kids can't wait to start their 3 year AHL careers. Clearly it's not about education but how they perceive their own hockey development. Nobody can spend a year or two being a 4th line player because it's an insult.

Being happy playing div 1 college hockey and getting a free education is not the ultimate goal. Sucks for us as fans because we want to see a cohesive committed and talented team play at their best. Too many individual goals interfere with that mindset.

BTW, does anyone think the fact that Boyle is not involved has anything to do with things?
      Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
        BTW, does anyone think the fact that Boyle is not involved has anything to do with things?
        I don't, but I'd be interested in why you think so.

Comment

Tired of having this conversation every January. Most of these kids can't wait to start their 3 year AHL careers. Clearly it's not about education but how they perceive their own hockey development. Nobody can spend a year or two being a 4th line player because it's an insult.

Being happy playing div 1 college hockey and getting a free education is not the ultimate goal. Sucks for us as fans because we want to see a cohesive committed and talented team play at their best. Too many individual goals interfere with that mindset.

Some valid points. What's most staggering to me is that since the 2009 Championship season, 21 players have either departed or were dismissed from the team prior to completing their 4 years' eligibility. 12 alone since the start of the 2011-12 season.

It's not the expected early departures like Wilson, Bonino, Shattenkirk, Chiasson, Nieto as much as the midseason stuff that's been happening the past 2-3 seasons that impair the roster depth.

As for the Boyle thing, others have mentioned to me their observations of the lack of endurance, speed and physicality of this team, questioning the strength and conditioning of this team.
          Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM.

Comment

A few thoughts:

I don't think we can make judgements on Quinn's ability to relate to players after a half year of coaching players he didn't recruit. Parker's issue started in the late 90's and save for a couple of years continued until he retired, with an increasing amount of off ice incidents as well.

A guy like Kurker probably thought he was going to dominate. When he didn't, and frankly I didn't see much reason to think he would, he left. I don't blame the guy because it clearly wasn't working out here for whatever reason. Agree completely that these kids ought to think about the value of getting a degree instead of their inevitable fate of playing a year of minor league hockey followed by a year in Europe before they go back to milking cows at the dairy farm up in Quebec, but whatever. BU is in for a losing season regardless of Kurker's presence. Work on developing the few talented guys here now over the rest of the year and set yourself up for better things next year with better players.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              A guy like Kurker probably thought he was going to dominate. When he didn't, and frankly I didn't see much reason to think he would, he left. I don't blame the guy because it clearly wasn't working out here for whatever reason. Agree completely that these kids ought to think about the value of getting a degree instead of their inevitable fate of playing a year of minor league hockey followed by a year in Europe before they go back to milking cows at the dairy farm up in Quebec, but whatever. BU is in for a losing season regardless of Kurker's presence. Work on developing the few talented guys here now over the rest of the year and set yourself up for better things next year with better players.
              In high school, Kurker was a big fish swimming in a pond that has been shrinking and getting more shallow over the past 10-15+ years. He dominated in HS, but would've greatly benefited from a full year in the USHL/EJHL/prep before BU. It's like a baseball player who dominated in AA ball, skips AAA for the majors, and struggles mightily. He simply did not appear ready for the speed and physicality at this level.

Going to the USHL is probably the best move for him. Hopefully he'll develop, get confidence back in his game, and he keeps his eligibility to xfer to another program.

Comment

Amen to this and Rovers follow-up comment. Where are the Doug Friedmans of the world He played on the 4th line, worked his way up to the first line as a Senior Captain.

I don't fault Kurker for leaving in this case, because things clearly aren't going to plan. It doesn't seem to be for any reason other than talent/skill level. He has had a year and a half to prove himself and it hasn't happened. Being a 2nd round draft pick obviously adds to the pressure he is feeling. It's always a challenge to guess how someone will do at the next level. In this case, perhaps the experts were wrong and he won't be more than a Doug Friedman-type. There are worse things in life than getting a free education and playing 4 years of hockey at a great program.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                  Some valid points. What's most staggering to me is that since the 2009 Championship season, 21 players have either departed or were dismissed from the team prior to completing their 4 years' eligibility. 12 alone since the start of the 2011-12 season.

It's not the expected early departures like Wilson, Bonino, Shattenkirk, Chiasson, Nieto as much as the midseason stuff that's been happening the past 2-3 seasons that impair the roster depth.

As for the Boyle thing, others have mentioned to me their observations of the lack of endurance, speed and physicality of this team, questioning the strength and conditioning of this team.
                  Are you sure it's 21? I had 22 when I added in Kurker.

Kicked out for studying too much/quit/in prison (ok I made that up to make Sandusky angry):
                  1. saponari vin
                  2. saponari vic
                  3. trivino
                  4. glass
                  5. nicastro
                  6. gaudet
                  7. cisse
                  8. myron
                  9. privitera
                  10. gill
                  11. kurker

Left for the pros/hated Jack Parker (see above)
                  1. wilson
                  2. bonino
                  3. cohen
                  4. shattenkirk
                  5. warsofsky
                  6. strait
                  7. courtnall
                  8. chiasson
                  9. coyle
                  10. clendening
                  11. nieto

But I'm glad BU has an awesome APR according to the NCAA.
                  Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    lol we have 17 healthy skaters.

Not surprising, he never was able to get his feet planted here, and showed little to no skill whatsoever. Best of luck to him elsewhere, but this one doesn't seem like Coyle, a kid with boatloads of skill who doesn't fit in, he wasn't displaying the level of skill to compete at the NCAA level.
                    Kurker was an 18 yr old public HS player which SJP essentially is far from elite competition. He was a thick body with good hands and decent skills . It was all about the "upside" hit or miss prospect but the Blues spending a 2nd pick on him was laughingly misjudged . Parents leveraged the high pick and pushed Parker to take him early , I am aware of the situation from local knowledge

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

Kicked out for studying too much/quit/in prison (ok I made that up to make Sandusky angry):
                      1. saponari vin
                      2. saponari vic
                      3. trivino
                      4. glass
                      5. nicastro
                      6. gaudet
                      7. cisse
                      8. myron
                      9. privitera
                      10. gill
                      11. kurker

Left for the pros/hated Jack Parker (see above)
                      1. wilson
                      2. bonino
                      3. cohen
                      4. shattenkirk
                      5. warsofsky
                      6. strait
                      7. courtnall
                      8. chiasson
                      9. coyle
                      10. clendening
                      11. nieto

But I'm glad BU has an awesome APR according to the NCAA.
                      I question the Gaudet listing .

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                        The arrival of even 3 - 4 talented players can make a significant difference. Witness the arrival of Cashman, Ahola, Amonte and Kevin O'Sullivan for the 1989/90 season.
                        Unfortunately if Eichel shows up he will be gone before the dmen show up. I think you are looking at 3 yrs from now for BU to be in the top half of HE again and have a shot at NCAAs

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          Your commitment to this is magical.
                          Boston University 2009 Champs
                          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                            I question the Gaudet listing .
                            Right. Gaudet red-shirted (injury) his freshman year, then played three season. He graduated and elected not to use his final year of eligibility. His remarkable deflection in OT vs. Cornell was his career highlight.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onAf1zUQqag
                            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

21 it is!!!!!
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                                Your commitment to this is magical.
                                Are you kidding? SteveF used to comment on the clothes that other posters wore when he saw them out. There's all kinds of attention to detail over there!
                                Bugs Bunny - 96
                                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Working...
                                X