• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Name a good ECAC ref ?

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
      I'm sorry but this was not a hook. It was an excellent defensive play by the Cornell player who tried twice to lift Donato's stick. It was stick on stick and not stick on hands. At least that's what I saw from the angle of the camera. Sorry.
      How in the world can you tell whether he got him on the stick or on the hands from that replay?

Comment

• Originally posted by andrewtim View Post
        Don't know who you have been watching. Teddy still clueless and Brian only one scoring. USCHO rating is a joke. They may may end up last. DD
        Wow! The freaks come out at night. Get back on your meds!

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
          How in the world can you tell whether he got him on the stick or on the hands from that replay?
          I just rewatched the last 10 minutes of the game on ILN and the refereeing was terrible. The hook on Donato was most definitely a hook - the ILN feed showed another angle in slow motion which clearly showed he got hooked on the hands twice. Ted then got a bench minor for arguing that non-call.

Other bad calls were when one ref blew a whistle for icing, then the other overruled, so instead of the puck being deep in the Cornell zone, they had to faceoff at center ice.

The charge against Badini was definitely a bad call. Even the Cornell announcers said that call "was up to interpretation..."

And the tripping call against Sherman at the end was actually the Cornell skater skating into Sherman's skate and tripping...

Many bad calls in the last 10 minutes, not to mention the entire game

Comment

• Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
            We have here Exhibit A illustrating the inability of the vocal Cornell fan to articulate rise above the monosyllabic (albeit very long syllable) response in an otherwise thoughtful and insightful correspondence. Certainly tends to reinforce preconceived bias on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            “Egads, Muffy, these Cornell ruffians have the temerity to interfere with our erudite Harvard hockey thread in which I and the other three Harvard hockey fans cast blame on those gentlemen in the striped clothing for the defeat of our galant lads from Cambridge in that horrid Ithaca town”

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop85 View Post
              “Egads, Muffy, these Cornell ruffians have the temerity to interfere with our erudite Harvard hockey thread in which I and the other three Harvard hockey fans cast blame on those gentlemen in the striped clothing for the defeat of our galant lads from Cambridge in that horrid Ithaca town”
              Horace my dear don't let those ruffians as you call them bother you. They are so needy and insecure about their hockey prowess they take things personally and engage in silly insults. However, Horace you are sliding that way yourself, which surprises me as you are beyond that stage of arrested development. I am beginning to wonder if this is a forum for serious hockey analysis or hockey humor. Sincerely, Muffy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                The hook on Donato was most definitely a hook - the ILN feed showed another angle in slow motion which clearly showed he got hooked on the hands twice.
                Like I said. From the angle of that play on the video I saw, it looked like it was stick on stick. By the way, complaining about officials, now there's something new!
                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

This just in, poll rankings are beyond meaningless.

Harvard and Cornell haven't really played any top teams, except for arguably each other. Undefeated untied Cornell is held back to #5/#6, under teams with 2+ losses, apparently because of their schedule. Meanwhile the Crimson still come in at #13, despite a losing W-L record, and their two wins having come only against other sub-.500 Ivy teams with PWR > 50th.

Wishing the Crimson good hunting in Minnesota this weekend, and for my part I will try not to click on the poll rankings again. Even in November PWR seems a better measure.

And I don't think you get a bench minor for talking like Muffy and Horace, just saying.
                  Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 11-14-2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                    This just in, poll rankings are beyond meaningless.

Harvard and Cornell haven't really played any top teams, except for arguably each other. Undefeated untied Cornell is held back to #5/#6, under teams with 2+ losses, apparently because of their schedule. Meanwhile the Crimson still come in at #13, despite a losing W-L record, and their two wins having come only against other sub-.500 Ivy teams with PWR > 50th.
                    Agree that the rankings are a joke. I wonder what they would have been if Harvard won 3-2 instead of Cornell?? The game was basically a coin toss, but if Harvard won, do you think they would be ranked #5 and Cornell #13?

Comment

The game was basically a coin toss, but if Harvard won, do you think they would be ranked #5 and Cornell #13?
                      Yep. The polls are silly and it's too early for PWR to be very meaningful. Come February Harvard will have rolled off a bunch of wins and they'll be right back in the thick of it. They're a good squad with a ton of individual talent. Add in a bit more of a team dynamic and they'll go deep.

We may have 3* nationally-competitive teams coming out of the ECAC; not only that but they're the three traditional powers. It's been a long time wading through Yale, Union, and Quinnipiac to get back to this. Order is restored.

* If Point really is Superman then Colgate makes 4.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                        The reality is I have no problem with the no call on Donato that late in the game for the reasons listed above. But don't then turn around and call the bench minor and a ticky tack trip on Sherman.
                        I was very surprised by the Sherman call too. I didn't see it and haven't seen a replay but yeah, if I was Harvard I'd be questioning it unless it was overt.

The Donato call I can only say for him to be whistled at that point in that game he must have used some combination of syllables that will get you thrown through the window at any self-respecting dive bar. That was Gaudet-level stupid or Cahoon-level lack of discipline. Even if it was some sort of headgame Donato is playing to fire up his guys (something a certain Cornell coach is not above doing...) man did that ever backfire.

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the other element of officiating in the game -- the inconsistent linesmen. The most egregious case was when Harvard was whistled for icing on a play where our forward airmailed a pass out to the point. There were blown offsides and phantom icings and at least one, maybe more, plays where the linesman realized he'd screwed up and moved the faceoff back to center ice.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                          Were those people sitting in the grassy nole?

The game was a disgrace. Playing Cornell is always a treat for this fan, getting to see two contrasting systems go toe-to-toe, irrespective of the outcome. It's sad that the pinstripes had such an effect with missed calls (Donato hook), inconsistent calls (goalie interference), and calling a bench minor on the coach in the closing minutes of a tie game. The players, coaches, and fans deserve better - the game deserves better.

The reality is I have no problem with the no call on Donato that late in the game for the reasons listed above. But don't then turn around and call the bench minor and a ticky tack trip on Sherman.

Donato expects competency and consistency and I trust his judgment and his outbursts when he chooses to call things as he sees them. Donato is not viewed as a blowhard across the league (unlike others who will remain nameless) and while this is a rivalry game, Donato is generally not one to call out the refs unless deserved.
                          Well, to be fair, a Harvard player snowed Cornell's goalie first, which was stupid, then Cornell took a couple of runs at Madsen. The second was not as bad as the first, when Madsen was pushed against the post after the whistle. When I saw that was not called, I was amazed that Harvard's was, later in the game. There was inconsistency. According to the announcers, when Harvard was called for goalie interference, Donato was yelling at the refs about the non-calls.

Still, if Donato was warned, then it was inexcusable for him to keep up the abuse. He put his anger before the team's welfare. I can't blame the officials for calling a bench minor if he was warned.

Incidentally, the Cornell announcers are excellent, I enjoyed listening to them. Accurate and very fair.

Comment

Watch this hook on Donato at 1:33 ... everybody in the arena could see it except for the four officials on the ice, who's job it is to call that

https://youtu.be/N769u5q5qZ4?t=1m29s

Not only was this call missed, but the charge on Harvard's goalie near the end of the 3rd period was not called. The tripping call on Sherman weak. It really should have been Harvard on the power play, not the other way. This was a comedy of errors by the officiating staff who was making bad calls all game, but especially at the end, where their lack of competence was what decided the game.
                            Hey Guys! Just thought I would chime in here on that so-called "hook' or non-hook as I obviously do NOT have a dog in the race, other than a really good Harvard team being our travel partner. I must have looked at this play 1/2 dozen times and my unbiased conclusion is that it was a good non-call. It seems to me that the Cornell D tried to lift Donato's stick or something as he lifts between Donato's leg getting air. It was a quick lift and back down. Having said that, sometimes that might get called a hook just on the assumption rather than the actual real-time evidence. It is a long reason both Cornell and Harvard will be there in the end along with Clarkson.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Order is restored.
                              Really?
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                                For those of you who find the 8 week gap between Bright-Landry home games excessive (!), I just want to put in a plug for the @ BC game the day after Thanksgiving. Good seats still available, and not too too expensive. I'll be be on the glass where Harvard shoots twice. Go Crimson!
                                Isn't that uncomfortable and moreover, dangerous?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X