Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by bothman View Post
    Giving the coach a bench minor with 2 mins left?
    Based on what I have heard from people who were within earshot of Donato, he was out of control all night and warned in no uncertain terms to get it together. I assume he figured he could do anything in the closing minutes of a tie game and as it turned out, he was incorrect.

The officiating standard did wander all over the place. There were penalties on each team for breathing on a guy, and there was a particular stretch when there were WWE moves going on and whistles stayed unblown.

In any case, please send along our thanks to Donato for losing his sh-t at exactly the right moment. It is appreciated. I have a feeling these teams will meet again in Lake Placid, and perhaps after that as well.

Fun fact I wasn't aware of until tonight: McCrea, who scored the game winner, was a decommit from Harvard.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-12-2017, 06:43 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
      Watch this hook on Donato at 1:33 ... everybody in the arena could see it except for the four officials on the ice, who's job it is to call that

https://youtu.be/N769u5q5qZ4?t=1m29s

Not only was this call missed, but the charge on Harvard's goalie near the end of the 3rd period was not called. The tripping call on Sherman weak. It really should have been Harvard on the power play, not the other way. This was a comedy of errors by the officiating staff who was making bad calls all game, but especially at the end, where their lack of competence was what decided the game.
      Thanks for posting, but after watching the video I think the no call was correct. The D-man clearly lifted Donato's stick from below and did not hook the hands or body. The ref can be seen along the far boards with clear view of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        I didn't see the game but from the box score, I have to say I'm not surprised. Harvard has taken it on the chin from officials where Cornell is involved and I can honestly say that if this game was played at Bright-Landry, we would not have been given three power plays at the end of the game. Would not have happened. What goes around comes around so it will be interesting to see later in the season if payback comes in the form of a multiple calls against the Red at B-L. Not holding my breath.
        B-L? Don't you mean Lynah East?

Comment

Donato about as gracious as he could be - "I apologized to the guys for the lack of competency out there...."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...ll-gamer-2017/

Comment

With the emotions subsided, some more thoughts:

- The 2nd goal that Harvard gave up was just a horrible defensive play by Olson. I know that he is from Minny, but I worry about him on the big sheet - He really needs to work on his skating/positioning. He had no idea where he was on the ice and the angle to take and he let the Cornell forward skate right around him and to the net (this was another Exhibit A of Madsen playing deep in the crease instead of shutting down the angle and poking the puck away from the Cornell forward as he went right to left across the crease)

I think the trip to Minny next weekend is a great oppty, but a really tough test for this team. It will be interesting to see how they play on the big sheet.
            Going to go a bit out on a limb here. The Minnesota trip is a big one. Remember they were there two years ago for the Mariucci New Year's tournament. Winning there was huge for the team. Olson played both games in that tournament and made a big defensive play late in the third period in the OT win against the Gophers.

However, that March on the big sheet in Lake Placid Olson was benched twice in favor of Thomas Aiken, who moves much better and has more situational awareness. Aiken was a walk-on and hasn't seen action in a while -- that one stretch in March 2016 was his moment.

With the team under .500 I would not be surprised to see Donato send a bit of message with a guy like Aiken. He's not a long-term solution but his work ethic and 4-year commitment to the program are admired throughout the building. Could be seeing this wrong... but just saying I wouldn't be shocked.

Really wish I could make it out there (again) because there's no better place to watch college hockey.
            I know we’re going to win tonight.

I believe we’re going to win tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Based on what I have heard from people who were within earshot of Donato, he was out of control all night and warned in no uncertain terms to get it together. I assume he figured he could do anything in the closing minutes of a tie game and as it turned out, he was incorrect.
              Were those people sitting in the grassy nole?

The game was a disgrace. Playing Cornell is always a treat for this fan, getting to see two contrasting systems go toe-to-toe, irrespective of the outcome. It's sad that the pinstripes had such an effect with missed calls (Donato hook), inconsistent calls (goalie interference), and calling a bench minor on the coach in the closing minutes of a tie game. The players, coaches, and fans deserve better - the game deserves better.

The reality is I have no problem with the no call on Donato that late in the game for the reasons listed above. But don't then turn around and call the bench minor and a ticky tack trip on Sherman.

Donato expects competency and consistency and I trust his judgment and his outbursts when he chooses to call things as he sees them. Donato is not viewed as a blowhard across the league (unlike others who will remain nameless) and while this is a rivalry game, Donato is generally not one to call out the refs unless deserved.

Comment

The game was a disgrace. Playing Cornell is always a treat for this fan, getting to see two contrasting systems go toe-to-toe, irrespective of the outcome. It's sad that the pinstripes had such an effect with missed calls (Donato hook), inconsistent calls (goalie interference), and calling a bench minor on the coach in the closing minutes of a tie game. The players, coaches, and fans deserve better - the game deserves better.

The reality is I have no problem with the no call on Donato that late in the game for the reasons listed above. But don't then turn around and call the bench minor and a ticky tack trip on Sherman.

Donato expects competency and consistency and I trust his judgment and his outbursts when he chooses to call things as he sees them. Donato is not viewed as a blowhard across the league (unlike others who will remain nameless) and while this is a rivalry game, Donato is generally not one to call out the refs unless deserved.
                And ironically, after having fish thrown at Harvard by classless Cornell fans who chanted, "F- you.. you Suk.. bend over..." all game, Harvard gets a penalty for arguing bad calls...

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post

To paraphrase: “waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! Waaaaaaaaaah!”

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                    To paraphrase: “waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! Waaaaaaaaaah!”
                    We have here Exhibit A illustrating the inability of the vocal Cornell fan to articulate rise above the monosyllabic (albeit very long syllable) response in an otherwise thoughtful and insightful correspondence. Certainly tends to reinforce preconceived bias on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
                      We have here Exhibit A illustrating the inability of the vocal Cornell fan to articulate rise above the monosyllabic (albeit very long syllable) response in an otherwise thoughtful and insightful correspondence. Certainly tends to reinforce preconceived bias on my part.

Be sure to extend your pinky finger whilst you enjoy that whine. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                        Be sure to extend your pinky finger whilst you enjoy that whine. [emoji6]
                        Indeed! Moreover, borrowing a line from Tom Lehrer we "will take the whole team out to tea!" From his song "Fight Fiercely Harvard"[emoji3]

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post

A Harvard man with "preconceived bias"? I'm shocked, shocked.
                          . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

Originally posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post
                            A Harvard man with "preconceived bias"? I'm shocked, shocked.
                            You are not really shocked! Nonetheless, despite my bias, I realize we both bleed red albeit a slight different shade. Much more in common than not!

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                              Watch this hook on Donato at 1:33 ... everybody in the arena could see it except for the four officials on the ice, who's job it is to call that

https://youtu.be/N769u5q5qZ4?t=1m29s

Not only was this call missed, but the charge on Harvard's goalie near the end of the 3rd period was not called. The tripping call on Sherman weak. It really should have been Harvard on the power play, not the other way. This was a comedy of errors by the officiating staff who was making bad calls all game, but especially at the end, where their lack of competence was what decided the game.
                              I'm sorry but this was not a hook. It was an excellent defensive play by the Cornell player who tried twice to lift Donato's stick. It was stick on stick and not stick on hands. At least that's what I saw from the angle of the camera. Sorry.
                              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Don't know who you have been watching. Teddy still clueless and Brian only one scoring. USCHO rating is a joke. They may may end up last. DD

Comment

Working...
                                X