Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Agree. Regarding the major against Horton, is he out for tonight? I keep forgetting if a major plus misconduct equals a sit down for the next game. Either way, it was a stupid play on his part. As a senior, he should know better.

Yale wanted this game more than Harvard. That was evident throughout. The Crimson looked like they were in love with their ranking instead of showing up and taking the game to the Eli. That plus the gaffes proved costly.

Oh well, on to Brown. Teddy now has a boatload of ammo to use to get his team's attention. I expect a far different result tonight.
    Horton has to be more careful there, but i’m Not sure that penalty gets called at next level. Was a bang bang play and take player turned back at last minute. Yale player can not put himself in dangerous position at last second.

I expect a big rebound tonight and a very very tough week of practice. Team needs to learn how to work cohesively, both on offense and defense. Too little awareness of where linenates are on both sides of the puck.

Comment

Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Horton has to be more careful there, but i’m Not sure that penalty gets called at next level. Was a bang bang play and take player turned back at last minute. Yale player can not put himself in dangerous position at last second.

I expect a big rebound tonight and a very very tough week of practice. Team needs to learn how to work cohesively, both on offense and defense. Too little awareness of where linenates are on both sides of the puck.
      I agree with all commentary on last night's game against Yale. With respect to Jake's penalty I am quite certain he is eligible for tonight's game. His was not an intentional penalty, which would invoke a major 5mins. plus misconduct and a suspension. I think Ted will do all he can to make sure last night was a timely lesson that hopefully informs the rest if the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Solin in for Perrault and Baughmann in for Foley for the Brown tilt tonight.

Comment

Solin in for Perrault and Baughmann in for Foley for the Brown tilt tonight.
          Interesting choices, I was thinking Baughman might have been paired with Dombrovskiy as these experienced veterans might provide ballast for a young team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess the best thing you can say about tonight's game was that we won. It wasn't pretty and for stretches Brown actually cycled in our zone and got some chances especially in the second period. We were sloppy, a bit lazy and not exactly playing as a team. Too much individual play - sort of "I want to be like Ryan" and try and do it individually. Not a recipe for success.

When they did pass the puck efficiently, it was mostly on the PP where Reilly Walsh got his first two collegiate goals. First one early in the second on a nice feed from Donato where Reilly roofed it over Nieto (who had a good game for the Bears). The second came a little more than midway through the third on a blast from the top of the left circle. Nathan Krushko finished off the scoring with a wrister that deflected off the shoulder of the Brown defenseman past Neito.

Harvard is most definitely not the #3 ranked team in the country. Not even close. The team needs to play harder on the puck and do a much better job transitioning from their D zone to the offensive zone. Some of it has to do with talent issues up front. Our skill level isn't what it was last season and it is noticeable. Hopefully more practice time will translate into better finish and more goals.

Baughman hardly played tonight although some of that had to do with PK and PP time. Still I wonder why he dressed if Teddy was only going to go with five guys. We can't do that for an entire season. Is there a confidence problem with some of the players? Why doesn't Dumbrovsky dress? Maybe the coaches don't trust some of these players? Puzzling.

Big trip out west looming and right now, I don't have a whole lot of confidence going forward.

Comment

I guess the best thing you can say about tonight's game was that we won. It wasn't pretty and for stretches Brown actually cycled in our zone and got some chances especially in the second period. We were sloppy, a bit lazy and not exactly playing as a team. Too much individual play - sort of "I want to be like Ryan" and try and do it individually. Not a recipe for success.

When they did pass the puck efficiently, it was mostly on the PP where Reilly Walsh got his first two collegiate goals. First one early in the second on a nice feed from Donato where Reilly roofed it over Nieto (who had a good game for the Bears). The second came a little more than midway through the third on a blast from the top of the left circle. Nathan Krushko finished off the scoring with a wrister that deflected off the shoulder of the Brown defenseman past Neito.

Harvard is most definitely not the #3 ranked team in the country. Not even close. The team needs to play harder on the puck and do a much better job transitioning from their D zone to the offensive zone. Some of it has to do with talent issues up front. Our skill level isn't what it was last season and it is noticeable. Hopefully more practice time will translate into better finish and more goals.

Baughman hardly played tonight although some of that had to do with PK and PP time. Still I wonder why he dressed if Teddy was only going to go with five guys. We can't do that for an entire season. Is there a confidence problem with some of the players? Why doesn't Dumbrovsky dress? Maybe the coaches don't trust some of these players? Puzzling.

Big trip out west looming and right now, I don't have a whole lot of confidence going forward.
              Agreed.

Still very sloppy, selfish, and no cohesion. No real chemistry on offense which led to no sustained cycling time.

Madsen was good and face offs were much better.

I would like Donato to mix up lines (2-4) to try sndunearth some more chemistry. I expect more from Badini and there is not much chemistry there. The 4th Line is a mess.

Tough weekend upcoming but perhaps the travel will help bring the team together. 2pts is probably what can be hoped for

Comment

Agreed.

Still very sloppy, selfish, and no cohesion. No real chemistry on offense which led to no sustained cycling time.

Madsen was good and face offs were much better.

I would like Donato to mix up lines (2-4) to try sndunearth some more chemistry. I expect more from Badini and there is not much chemistry there. The 4th Line is a mess.

Tough weekend upcoming but perhaps the travel will help bring the team together. 2pts is probably what can be hoped for
                I actually think the Horton line could evolve into something if Floodstrand were more of an offensive presence. I'd actually consider putting Krushko on that line with Lloyd and Horton and see what happens. Badini doesn't look like the player I saw this summer in Plymouth, Michigan. At times he looks overwhelmed or lost. Or both. He has too much skill to remain this way.

One thought is to move Badini between Ryan Donato (LW) and Zerter-Gossage and drop Pelton-Byce to the third line back to center between Bowlby and Floodstrand. Keep Krushko on a line with Horton and Lloyd. Fourth line is strictly an energy line at this point although Solin looks like he is a smooth skater with good instincts.

Comment

I actually think the Horton line could evolve into something if Floodstrand were more of an offensive presence. I'd actually consider putting Krushko on that line with Lloyd and Horton and see what happens. Badini doesn't look like the player I saw this summer in Plymouth, Michigan. At times he looks overwhelmed or lost. Or both. He has too much skill to remain this way.

One thought is to move Badini between Ryan Donato (LW) and Zerter-Gossage and drop Pelton-Byce to the third line back to center between Bowlby and Floodstrand. Keep Krushko on a line with Horton and Lloyd. Fourth line is strictly an energy line at this point although Solin looks like he is a smooth skater with good instincts.
                  I would move Horton down to 3rd Line and move Badini to 2nd Line. I think switching Pelton Byce with Krusko could be interesting for the 1st Line. I want Badini to have more skill and finishing around him so perhaps him, Pelton Byce and a TBD wing would be a good option for the 2nd line. Have Horton, Bowlby, and a TBD wing for the 3rd Line.

Comment

New rankings have Crimson at #5 - which seems a little optimistic after last weekend, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                      New rankings have Crimson at #5 - which seems a little optimistic after last weekend, to be honest.
                      We'll have a better idea of what their true ranking is after this weekend. Colgate (4-2-4) received votes and Cornell is ranked 14th with 4-0-0 record.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                        Very optimistic. Barring a complete reversal, I don't expect us to be #5 come Monday of next week. I think 2 points is probably optimistic, but we shall see.

I do expect to see some changes in the line-up.

Comment

Good article on Reilly Walsh:

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/pros...rd/c-292754192

Comment

So last night Jimmy Vesey scores two goals, the second when he outmaneuvered Yalie Rob O'Gara to push the puck past Rask for the eventual game winner. Sort of like 2015 ECAC quarters redux. Never gets old.

Comment

So last night Jimmy Vesey scores two goals, the second when he outmaneuvered Yalie Rob O'Gara to push the puck past Rask for the eventual game winner. Sort of like 2015 ECAC quarters redux. Never gets old.
                              Only two players have scored two goals in less than 30 seconds in this NHL season. Answer: Kerfoot and Vesey
                              Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

For those of you who find the 8 week gap between Bright-Landry home games excessive (!), I just want to put in a plug for the @ BC game the day after Thanksgiving. Good seats still available, and not too too expensive. I'll be be on the glass where Harvard shoots twice. Go Crimson!

Comment

Working...
                                X