This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HHound View Post
    Not the most challenging schedule. If the team doesn't get off to a good start with those OC games at home, I would be very concerned. Who makes a schedule like that?
    Besides my earlier reply above, here is my follow up, after perusing the Huskies' 2017-2018 schedule.

NU is hosting Sacred Heart for 2, AIC for 1, home and home with Bentley, and visiting RIT for 1. If my math is correct, that is 75% of your OOC games against Atlantic Hockey lower tier teams. "Who makes a schedule like that?"

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Not the most challenging schedule. If the team doesn't get off to a good start with those OC games at home, I would be very concerned. Who makes a schedule like that?
      I'd say Lowell, NU and UNH all have extremely weak OOCs this year. Those in glass houses...
      BS UMass Lowell 2015
      PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        But, you ARE A STH, HR! And, you have brought pom poms, or at least a pom, to games, right? How can "they" not appoint you?

DC, this action by the UNH admin (BS35+4?) must be a result of these threads! Thanks for posting,
        haha well you'd THINK it would be a no-brainer but you never know. I never heard a thing back as of yet at least and am not planning on applying again. Also I haven't always waved the pom here on this board all the time so maybe that's the sticking point (as if). I think it's doubtful posts on this board have prompted the powers that be at the U to create such a group, but I dunno. I've had people I don't even know approach me at the 'Whitt and ask if I'm the "hockeyref" so I think my reputation precedes me...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

But, you ARE A STH, HR! And, you have brought pom poms, or at least a pom, to games, right? How can "they" not appoint you?

DC, this action by the UNH admin (BS35+4?) must be a result of these threads! Thanks for posting,
          Not sure from where the idea emanated. While I'm CERTAIN it had ZERO to do with it, I did have a recent opportunity for a 1:1 meal with the guy "where the buck stops" and expressed my strong displeasure about the university's inability to come to a transfer of power after last year's debacle. I also shared that I was probably on the more forgiving side of the lynch mob.

I really do hope the more vocal, ******ed-off people here apply for the board. Chirping to a dozen people here won't do much, especially with so many like-minded folks, and probably doesn't hit the radar of the admin or the AD.
          Last edited by wildcatdc; 07-13-2017, 04:25 PM.
          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
            I did have a recent opportunity for a 1:1 meal with the guy "where the buck stops" and expressed my strong displeasure about the university's inability to come to a transfer of power after last year's debacle. I also shared that I was probably on the more forgiving side of the lynch mob.

Chirping to a dozen people here ....probably doesn't hit the radar of the admin or the AD.
            Are you suggesting the AD doesn't have a clue that the fans are upset with the "transfer of" (clinging to?) power? I'd say the timing of creating the forum makes it a great talking point "we created a fan forum to hear from you, the fans" while ensuring that they no longer can push for meaningful change. I assume Blue Skies is bright enough to know you never ask a question to which you don't want to know the answer.

If the fan board doesn't get a say in the most fundamental aspect of their fan experience -- how to rebuild the destroyed program -- then what use is it? A sounding board of whether hot chocolate should cost $2 vs. $2.25?

Wildcatdc, my annoyance is not directed at you.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              Are you suggesting the AD doesn't have a clue that the fans are upset with the "transfer of" (clinging to?) power? I'd say the timing of creating the forum makes it a great talking point "we created a fan forum to hear from you, the fans" while ensuring that they no longer can push for meaningful change. I assume Blue Skies is bright enough to know you never ask a question to which you don't want to know the answer.

If the fan board doesn't get a say in the most fundamental aspect of their fan experience -- how to rebuild the destroyed program -- then what use is it? A sounding board of whether hot chocolate should cost $2 vs. $2.25?

Wildcatdc, my annoyance is not directed at you.
              Oh, they are plenty aware. Plenty. My point was that the awareness probably doesn't come from this thread. That stated, I really do feel like a few on this thread (eg, you, Greg, CHC) might carry some sway, and I'd love to see one or all of you cause a little ruckus in a board context.

I get your doubts as to the efficacy of such a board, and willingness to address the tough issues. But, I have seen at least one board at UNH change from a glad-handing nothingburger to an actual interactive, give-and-take board where changes are effected.

BTW, I wasn't referring to the AD in my original post.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Besides my earlier reply above, here is my follow up, after perusing the Huskies' 2017-2018 schedule.

NU is hosting Sacred Heart for 2, AIC for 1, home and home with Bentley, and visiting RIT for 1. If my math is correct, that is 75% of your OOC games against Atlantic Hockey lower tier teams. "Who makes a schedule like that?"
                From my desk in the glass house: You gentlemen certainly have a point. NU does have a fairly weak OOC schedule. It is kind of a "tweener" year in terms of scheduling as several contracts finished up last year (i.e. Minnesota) Notre Dame passed on playing a series with us. ASU postponed our visit (possibly so their literally enormous Freshman class can get up to speed). We have several serious OOC programs starting in '18 l(i.e. St. Cloud).

What struck me about the Wildcats schedule was that long string of home games after the visit to Lowell (a team we'd always prefer to play in October rather than in February or March). I'd hate for my team to spend the stretch run on the road.

The silver lining here is that both teams pick several extra home games for our fans to enjoy(?) Let's hope Umile reaches his goal long before your team comes to Matthews on February 2.

Comment

Let's hope Umile reaches his goal long before your team comes to Matthews on February 2.
                  Attaining an otherwise modest goal of 14 wins - for a program averaging 13 cupcake-laden W's over the last two season - certainly doesn't seem to suggest anything remotely approaching "long before" is gonna be in the cards.

The last two seasons' schedules were specifically constructed to get him "there" already, make no mistake. Take out the surprising 3 post-season wins (including the 2 wins in the all-important MBPBEGAM round, which may have saved Year Three of The Long Goodbye) and that would be one massive 17 win hill to climb this season.

If Coach is going to realize success in The Quest, it's gonna be a white-knuckle ride right to the end, rest assured.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Went to the Comm Ave Classic charity game at BU tonight and had my pic taken with the Wilds Charlie Coyle; told him I hoped he didn't mind I was a UNH fan. His reply? "Maybe they'll come through for ya". Here's hoping Charlie; here's hoping!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Oh, they are plenty aware. Plenty. My point was that the awareness probably doesn't come from this thread. That stated, I really do feel like a few on this thread (eg, you, Greg, CHC) might carry some sway, and I'd love to see one or all of you cause a little ruckus in a board context.

I get your doubts as to the efficacy of such a board, and willingness to address the tough issues. But, I have seen at least one board at UNH change from a glad-handing nothingburger to an actual interactive, give-and-take board where changes are effected.

Any influence that I may have had with UNH athletics and particularly the AD are long in the past. Unless Marty has had some life altering brain surgery, this STH advisory board will be mere window dressing. I say this based on my tenure as one of the squeaky wheels on the FOH board for 20 years. I started out with a lot of vim and vigor but, as the years went on, and especially after the FOH was no longer independent but part of the athletic department (NCAA rules), thinking outside the box, any type of innovation that didn't come from inside the athletic office was dismissed. On top of that, the leadership of the FOH board has not changed in about a quarter century and, personally, I think Marty likes it that way. I'll also remind folks that several years ago the athletic department hosted some sort of town hall event for season ticket holders where discussion was supposed to lead to innovation. How did that work out?

Comment

Not sure from where the idea emanated. While I'm CERTAIN it had ZERO to do with it, I did have a recent opportunity for a 1:1 meal with the guy "where the buck stops" and expressed my strong displeasure about the university's inability to come to a transfer of power after last year's debacle. I also shared that I was probably on the more forgiving side of the lynch mob.

I really do hope the more vocal, ******ed-off people here apply for the board. Chirping to a dozen people here won't do much, especially with so many like-minded folks, and probably doesn't hit the radar of the admin or the AD.
                        I was just trying to be provocative and stir up some excitement on this thread while THE golf match is in the mother of all electrical storms delay. :-)

Comment

I did have a recent opportunity for a 1:1 meal with the guy "where the buck stops" and expressed my strong displeasure about the university's inability to come to a transfer of power after last year's debacle.

Jeez, I can imagine BS35+5 choking on his cornflakes with the disclosure that he isn't the guy at the top of the UNH pyramid. Wonder which lucky UNH admin-for-life gets the plum assignment of breaking the news to him on this.

I also shared that I was probably on the more forgiving side of the lynch mob.
                          Our very own Dustin Pedroia. "Honest Manny, it wasn't my idea to throw at you! I even vouched for you with Skip!!"

Comment

Packy Munson has been 'encouraged' to decide on his own that leaving DU is in his best interests after transferring to, and sitting out last season for, the Pioneers. Let's just say the timing is 'curious' as last week he was discussed in the Denver Post as the likely back-up to jaillett and once Gambrell chose to return to school he was off roster...

He should be able to petition for immediate eligibility (a la Eddie Caron) and if UNH has money left or he is willing to walk on next year for a full the following two seasons, I'd take him in a heartbeat at UNH...

He's the best goalie on the roster the moment he steps on campus and would remain so until Commesso's arrival in what would be Munson's final year of eligibility.

Lazaro is a warm body, Clark is persona non grata, Robinson is a FR coming off an average to poor season in junior hockey and Tirone is, well...

Awkward for this season? Maybe. But it's likely Clark and Tirone are both out of here next year and UNH will need to add a goalie for next fall. Why not take a chance on a kid with proven experience carrying a miserable HE club...

2017-18
                            Munson, Tirone, Robinson, Clark

2018-19
                            Munson, Robinson

2019-20
                            Munson, Commesso, Robinson

2020-21
                            Commesso, Robinson

It's never going to happen - they probably won't even try - but it should. Makes the team substantially better now and for the next three years...
                            Last edited by Dan; 07-17-2017, 10:11 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Packy Munson has been 'encouraged' to decide on his own that leaving DU is in his best interests after transferring to, and sitting out last season for, the Pioneers. Let's just say the timing is 'curious' as last week he was discussed in the Denver Post as the likely back-up to jaillett and once Gambrell chose to return to school he was off roster...

He should be able to petition for immediate eligibility (a la Eddie Caron) and if UNH has money left or he is willing to walk on next year for a full the following two seasons, I'd take him in a heartbeat at UNH...

He's the best goalie on the roster the moment he steps on campus and would remain so until Commesso's arrival in what would be Munson's final year of eligibility.

Lazaro is a warm body, Clark is persona non grata, Robinson is a FR coming off an average to poor season in junior hockey and Tirone is, well...

Awkward for this season? Maybe. But it's likely Clark and Tirone are both out of here next year and UNH will need to add a goalie for next fall. Why not take a chance on a kid with proven experience carrying a miserable HE club...

2017-18

2018-19
                              Munson, Robinson

2019-20

2020-21
                              Commesso, Robinson

It's never going to happen - they probably won't even try - but it should. Makes the team substantially better now and for the next three years...
                              Interesting points about Packy; he's a decent goalie and he sure stymied UNH when we played UVM. And would have to agree that chances are slim he'd be added. He was a good sport too as we razzed him a plenty as I recall 🙀
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

2017-18

2018-19
                                Munson, Robinson

2019-20

2020-21
                                Commesso, Robinson

Respectfully disagree with you there, Dan. Arguably better ... maybe? Munson isn't quite the second coming of Ty Conklin. Decent but not great at UVM, and clearly surplus to requirements at Denver. Any remaining flexibility in the scholarships department would be best saved for other bigger needs in the program, or just a better player (goalie or otherwise).

Comment

Working...
                                X