Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    He has 2 previous suspensions, and it's the last minute of a 3 goal game. I would have to think the league is going to hammer him hard for this.
    2 game suspension, will miss both games of the Bemidji series.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
      2 game suspension, will miss both games of the Bemidji series.
      Not enough. The league needed to have given him three games.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        I like Chris Dilks, he at least pays some attention and gets his facts right . I read all of his articles. As opposed to Ryan Lambert who I have no use for, him being a BU homer and all.
        If you like Lambert's writing, you'll love his podcast.

Chris is Ok. You don't want to get into debates in the political forums of this board with him unless you're ready for a really heavy dose of his snark, but he knows hockey and is a good writer. I always think he has good insight into the world junior tournaments, as well as the prospects for college players moving forward into the NHL. Seems like lately he has been covering more of the women's game, which I suppose is a positive given the scant coverage given to it. However, I think it has cut into his writing on the men's college game.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
          A 3 game suspension would have effectively been 4, since the next series would be at UAF and I doubt you'd take a guy that you know can't play the first game.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
            You would think it would be progressive. If you've already been given a 2 game suspension, and repeat the behavior, it would seem to indicate that the 2 game suspension wasn't enough to achieve the desired result.

Comment

You would think it would be progressive. If you've already been given a 2 game suspension, and repeat the behavior, it would seem to indicate that the 2 game suspension wasn't enough to achieve the desired result.
              that would be the case if the refs called him for dqs for each incident...
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                that would be the case if the refs called him for dqs for each incident...
                The suspension that they gave out indicates that they think it was a DQ that should've been called on the ice.

I'm done with the kid. He's Matt Moore.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Sorry, but Chris Dilks seems to take a bunch of shots at the WCHA, like he enjoys taking jabs at the league because it gets a rise out of the fans of the league. It gets old.
                  Only way to change that is to have the league perform better. WCHA has 4 teams ranked in the bottom 10 of the Pairwise.
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                    Only way to change that is to have the league perform better. WCHA has 4 teams ranked in the bottom 10 of the Pairwise.
                    I don't think so, I think its his style...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Everyone knows Lambert is just a wannabe Jack Edwards. He's easy to ignore.

Dilks is fine in small doses, but there are times where he's clearly saying something just for clicks. That Tweet was an obvious one (and him being a Mankato homer is also part of that).

WCHA needs a "3 Strikes" rule, IMO - you earn 3 suspensions in your playing career, then you sit for at least 5 games.

Comment

Interesting that the coach hasn’t received much flack for continuing to play Saulnier. It’s not like his “playing style” is a mystery.
                        Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                          Interesting that the coach hasn’t received much flack for continuing to play Saulnier. It’s not like his “playing style” is a mystery.
                          I can hardly blame Corbett for playing him. He's tied at 3rd most points on the team. One of only 4 players above 10 points, his seven goals is tied with Rajic, and Kestner's 12.

The kid puts up points, the coach would be dumb to not play him just on that basis. Don't get me wrong: You'd hope that the coach would sit him for a week or two, in addition to the league suspension, to prove a point: You cannot play like that. But it's obvious the kid doesn't learn from sitting.

Just wait until he's done at UAH and he moves onto the pros. If he makes it to the AHL or NHL level, he'll learn quick what happens if you pull the **** he pulls. I'm not condoning someone beating the tar out of somebody else, on or off the ice, but when you know there can't really be any retaliation against you, you may feel braver in doing so.

Also, while I haven't seen the play that caused the suspension, a lot of you are saying that the refs should've called a DQ on the ice. I know that, as fans, we tend to say that the refs suck, or are biased, but man this year it seems like the reffing crews we have out our way have missed a lot of calls, and have made some really really bad calls. It's a thankless job for sure, and people make mistakes, but it certainly feels like the league forgot to run the refs through a refresher course in the offseason.
                          LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post
                            I can hardly blame Corbett for playing him. He's tied at 3rd most points on the team. One of only 4 players above 10 points, his seven goals is tied with Rajic, and Kestner's 12.

The kid puts up points, the coach would be dumb to not play him just on that basis. Don't get me wrong: You'd hope that the coach would sit him for a week or two, in addition to the league suspension, to prove a point: You cannot play like that. But it's obvious the kid doesn't learn from sitting.

Just wait until he's done at UAH and he moves onto the pros. If he makes it to the AHL or NHL level, he'll learn quick what happens if you pull the **** he pulls. I'm not condoning someone beating the tar out of somebody else, on or off the ice, but when you know there can't really be any retaliation against you, you may feel braver in doing so.

Also, while I haven't seen the play that caused the suspension, a lot of you are saying that the refs should've called a DQ on the ice. I know that, as fans, we tend to say that the refs suck, or are biased, but man this year it seems like the reffing crews we have out our way have missed a lot of calls, and have made some really really bad calls. It's a thankless job for sure, and people make mistakes, but it certainly feels like the league forgot to run the refs through a refresher course in the offseason.
                            Generally, the one ice officials call the game misconducts on ice and let the league decide if additional discipline is warranted.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post

I was somewhat surprised there was no DQ on the ice because it seemed like the refs were aware of Saulnier's history. The 10 minute penalty he got earlier was called within a millisecond of his 2 minute penalty, as though the refs already had the guy on a short leash, but he just couldn't help himself and had to say something stupid. So after the head contact in the last 30 seconds of a game not in doubt, I thought they would deliver the DQ themselves. Coach Hastings appeared livid that they didn't make that call, and his post-game comments, while measured, certainly indicated a whole lot of displeasure, as well as concern for Gerads.

Comment

I was somewhat surprised there was no DQ on the ice because it seemed like the refs were aware of Saulnier's history. The 10 minute penalty he got earlier was called within a millisecond of his 2 minute penalty, as though the refs already had the guy on a short leash, but he just couldn't help himself and had to say something stupid. So after the head contact in the last 30 seconds of a game not in doubt, I thought they would deliver the DQ themselves. Coach Hastings appeared livid that they didn't make that call, and his post-game comments, while measured, certainly indicated a whole lot of displeasure, as well as concern for Gerads.
                                Every team benefits from these non calls at times, Mankato in particular has benefited in the past. We pay the refs not very much. You get what you pay for.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X