Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Maine fans? It was the right call, what was terrible was the buttend Joey took in the face mask before the shot(not to mention about 3 other stick penalties that could/should have been called
    I apologize for the generalization. I was checking out the ME thread and it seem 4-5 guys all posted it was a terrible call. I didn't see it, so I can't comment. I realize there are some people that think it was a good call and those who think it was a bad call from all sides.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
      Also the Cats just tied last years league win total and for now are in 5th place(games in hand on some teams) and only 2 points
      out of 4th. As I say this I can only think of the last 3 league weekends versus UNH/BU/BC and I come back down to earth.
      Well the team is definitely better then last year. They should be in the playoff hunt, although it's doubtful they will go anywhere. One thing is for sure, they need to have all the points they need before that last month of play.

I predict UVM finishes 7th, UNH wins the RS title, and UVM plays BC 4 straight games.

Comment

The video with the review is on UVM's website. Clearly the correct call, Diamond definitely had his feet entangled with Hoffman's just prior to the puck going in. Tough to lose that way.

I feel bad for the ME fans, however it is nice to see a bounce FINALLY go UVM's way.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Maine fans? It was the right call, what was terrible was the buttend Joey took in the face mask before the shot(not to mention about 3 other stick penalties that could/should have been called
          Honestly does it matter? Even if the refs were going to make the call on Hoffman (Which they should have) Vermont would have to control the puck to get the whistle to call the penalty anyway, Maine was in possession of the puck, Vermont probably would not have controlled the puck the rest of the game given the fact the disallowed goal was scored with 6 seconds left!

Comment

Originally posted by Go Cats View Post
            Honestly does it matter? Even if the refs were going to make the call on Hoffman (Which they should have) Vermont would have to control the puck to get the whistle to call the penalty anyway, Maine was in possession of the puck, Vermont probably would not have controlled the puck the rest of the game given the fact the disallowed goal was scored with 6 seconds left!
            No question Hoffman should have probably had a major for the roughing to the head, but as pointed out the play would have continued and the goal would have been disallowed. The crease rule is "...in the opinion of the official, the player is physically or visually preventing the goalkeeper from defending the goal". In this case both occured. For those that didn't watch the game on CBS Sports last night, it was clearly the correct call. I understand the huge let down Maine fans would have, but it was the right call. And yes, Mr. all time leader in Maine penalty minutes, did spear UVM which could have resulted in a DQ. My guess if they saw it, and it is hard on the ice to see things like this, they would have just called the major and game misconduct. With 6 seconds left, it would have been insignificant. Of course if they called Hoffman and missed the spear there would have been a 2 man advantage with 6 seconds left and who knows.

I found it very interesting how long Sneddon and Whitehead talked after the final buzzer, escpecially since they are playing again tonight. Maybe commisurating with each other over the poor showing to date. Both teams are hurting.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
              No question Hoffman should have probably had a major for the roughing to the head, but as pointed out the play would have continued and the goal would have been disallowed. The crease rule is "...in the opinion of the official, the player is physically or visually preventing the goalkeeper from defending the goal". In this case both occured. For those that didn't watch the game on CBS Sports last night, it was clearly the correct call. I understand the huge let down Maine fans would have, but it was the right call. And yes, Mr. all time leader in Maine penalty minutes, did spear UVM which could have resulted in a DQ. My guess if they saw it, and it is hard on the ice to see things like this, they would have just called the major and game misconduct. With 6 seconds left, it would have been insignificant. Of course if they called Hoffman and missed the spear there would have been a 2 man advantage with 6 seconds left and who knows.

I found it very interesting how long Sneddon and Whitehead talked after the final buzzer, escpecially since they are playing again tonight. Maybe commisurating with each other over the poor showing to date. Both teams are hurting.
              That's my *****, someone should have gotten a DQ for the spear and wouldn't be playing tonight. Vermont clearly outplayed Maine(that ain't saying much though ) and deserved to win last night. Not real fond of seeing stick work like that and someone should have gotten the gate
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If anyone is planning on coming out to Wednesday's game, the team will be running a toy drive for the children's hospital.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...B_OEM_ID=11600

And some former Big Green players in the NHL will be signing autographs after the game.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...B_OEM_ID=11600
                Go Dartmouth!

Comment

On a good note it looks like we might be getting some line combos that work together.

On a bad note Vermont and Maine put on a clinic this weekend on how to waste long 5 on 3 powerplays
                  by overpassing and slow passing and shooting into blocks.

So in HE at the break we are 3-5-3 in league 2-2 at home and 1-3-3 on the road. Like the road numbers more than the home.

Considering what we have on the ice right now I would call this an nice improvement over last year and considering how
                  many freshman we have playing and how little we are losing(in theory) going into next year maybe the worst is over.
                  New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                    On a good note it looks like we might be getting some line combos that work together.

On a bad note Vermont and Maine put on a clinic this weekend on how to waste long 5 on 3 powerplays
                    by overpassing and slow passing and shooting into blocks.

So in HE at the break we are 3-5-3 in league 2-2 at home and 1-3-3 on the road. Like the road numbers more than the home.

Considering what we have on the ice right now I would call this an nice improvement over last year and considering how
                    many freshman we have playing and how little we are losing(in theory) going into next year maybe the worst is over.

"If you keep playing the same guys on the PP your gonna get the same results" Jack Parker, 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                      "If you keep playing the same guys on the PP your gonna get the same results" Jack Parker, 2008
                      Hey ... Dartmouth game was tonight ... where is everybody???

Comment

Not a great game by the Cats especially by Hoffman IMO. Having given up 2 goals on 7 shots I think it's time to see Faust. Hoffman's big, these shots through a screen are poor positioning on his part. Sure he can't see the puck coming, so get into a position to fill the net, that's the advantage of being bigger then normal and the trade off for not being quite so quick and agile.

Secondly, this team needs to find a way to score. Time for Sneddon to start begging a few UVM alumni that are currently unemployed to try and get any type of offense going. I like Reynolds a lot, but he can't stop with the puck everytime he enters the zone... it's past to predictable to a for gone conclusion at this point. He is more skilled then that, drive to the net. The rest of them as well, skating into the top of the circles one on one and firing a shot clearly isn't working, how about trying to skate in on the goal a bit further, try a move or something. Seems to be a real serious lack of offensive creativity going on.

Thirdly, I don't think I can take hearing Sneddon say that "we didn't capitalize on our opportunities while the other team did" again. A.) it's not accurate and B.) it seems to be unfixable.

On the positive side :

Pattyn had a nice game and looks to be a player that will develop into a great player. The Cats did out skate the 10th ranked team in the nation for much of the game. The first period was great to watch. The Cats skated well and had good puck possession for large stretches, they just need to find a way to score.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                          Not a great game by the Cats especially by Hoffman IMO. Having given up 2 goals on 7 shots I think it's time to see Faust. Hoffman's big, these shots through a screen are poor positioning on his part. Sure he can't see the puck coming, so get into a position to fill the net, that's the advantage of being bigger then normal and the trade off for not being quite so quick and agile.

Secondly, this team needs to find a way to score. Time for Sneddon to start begging a few UVM alumni that are currently unemployed to try and get any type of offense going. I like Reynolds a lot, but he can't stop with the puck everytime he enters the zone... it's past to predictable to a for gone conclusion at this point. He is more skilled then that, drive to the net. The rest of them as well, skating into the top of the circles one on one and firing a shot clearly isn't working, how about trying to skate in on the goal a bit further, try a move or something. Seems to be a real serious lack of offensive creativity going on.

Thirdly, I don't think I can take hearing Sneddon say that "we didn't capitalize on our opportunities while the other team did" again. A.) it's not accurate and B.) it seems to be unfixable.

On the positive side :

Pattyn had a nice game and looks to be a player that will develop into a great player. The Cats did out skate the 10th ranked team in the nation for much of the game. The first period was great to watch. The Cats skated well and had good puck possession for large stretches, they just need to find a way to score.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/natteam13.php

Tougher part of schedule yet to come. Stats starting to look alot like last year other than improvement in PK due to a good goaltender. Team did not look confident last night. Hard to tell on TV but no offensive flow at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

On the positive side :

I agree with you on Reynolds. This is the second go around with him playing with Falloon and McCarthy and he rendered them useless. Wen massar was there he wasn't cute, but they generated buzz. The 3rd period again Minnesota they were incredible. The team also needs some grit. Get to the net already. Not that hard.

Also the power play is a joke yet again. The pint man can't get a chat on net. Our shot selection reminds me of a pitcher with a slow delivery who everyone can steal on. We wind up for the shot and everyone on defense gets in position before we shoot.

Up front we need more from McCarthy in particular and Falloon. If you want to be first line players, you need to score goals. One goal every 3 or 6 games isn't cutting it for a top line player. The majority of their goals have been perimeter shots, time for some goals going to the net.

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                              http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/natteam13.php

Tougher part of schedule yet to come. Stats starting to look alot like last year other than improvement in PK due to a good goaltender. Team did not look confident last night. Hard to tell on TV but no offensive flow at all.
                              Wow, those stats are brutal and would suggest we're even worse than we are. Regarding the offense, we hear the same thing every year: we need to shoot more, we need to get to the net more, etc., etc. Despite that talk, nothing changes. Very frustrating and more than a little baffling.

Comment

We have scored 2 goals in the last 3 games and I dont think this will change that much going forward. The teams success will come down too how few
                                we give up. This team just doesnt have finishers and that wont change even if the injured return. The best way to get more goals is learning from
                                Pattyn and just get in front of the net but our team is small and none of them really have the size or mindset to do this well. If we had more than 7
                                defensemen I would say move one up to forward but we dont but maybe they could take Pattyn or Walls and put them in front of the goalie on the PP.
                                New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Working...
                                X