OSWEGO STATE HOCKEY 2016-17 #NoMoreFancyHashtags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OSWEGO STATE HOCKEY 2016-17 #NoMoreFancyHashtags

Yes, I'm thinking there may be enough quality in this and last years recruit class, to make another run at the SUNYAC Championship. Recruiting has disappointed me, and I didn't think the void left by the senior class could be filled, but I'm filling more Optimistic this month. I think the Hobart game, Oct. 29th, will be a great early assessment of our talent level.

Comment

Originally posted by coasttocoast View Post
      Yes, I'm thinking there may be enough quality in this and last years recruit class, to make another run at the SUNYAC Championship. Recruiting has disappointed me, and I didn't think the void left by the senior class could be filled, but I'm filling more Optimistic this month. I think the Hobart game, Oct. 29th, will be a great early assessment of our talent level.
      We lost 9 of our top 10 scorers,unless some players get hit with a bolt of lightening there is now way in hell they will replace that scoring,we will have to play solid 2way hockey,in all 3 zones , to make up for the loss,not impossible to do...ow and it wouldnt hurt if the netminding stood on its head when needed.
      Last edited by bakdraft21; 08-30-2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

My only worry is defensive depth. If we have two still recovering questionable for early season (posted by another member) that leaves 6 healthy, gunna be some tired guys if we lose any during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
          My only worry is defensive depth. If we have two still recovering questionable for early season (posted by another member) that leaves 6 healthy, gunna be some tired guys if we lose any during the season.
          yes we have less players on the roster this yr than in the yrs past,depth may?? be an issue to start,hopefully not as the season goes on

Comment

• Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
            yes we have less players on the roster this yr than in the yrs past,depth may?? be an issue to start,hopefully not as the season goes on
            The tilt against Hobart to start it, is a game we want them for. We all know the end game and a loss against a likely to be ranked would suck.

On another note disappointed we could not get the home and home with Utica figured out, just another trip to the AUD (atleast there's beer). Looks like Utica will be going to Endicott now instead of here.

Comment

The ECHL's Adirondack Thunder (NJ affiliate) has signed Defenseman Stephen Johnson to a standard contract
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Thanks for reminding me why I was so pessimistic before!

Let's look at the glass half full. If you put me on the first PP unit I would be in the top 10 in scoring. PP unit 1 & 2 are all gone, except Herlihey. Given Unit 1 opportunity, Huffnagle, Zizek, Scorpio Herlihey & any sharp shooting new recruit will be able to put up good numbers. But, as you have suggested, no way are we going to have as much offense as last year, especially replacing Johnson offense from the back end. That group of seniors were outstanding.
                If Brun can play healthy when we need him (SunyAC playoffs) then our D should be very good, that leaves #1 question, can our goaltending be improved. I'm hoping Richer is a big upgrade, if he is, my glass will be full.
                So, yes I guess this is my long way of agreeing with you.

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                We lost 9 of our top 10 scorers,unless some players get hit with a bolt of lightening there is now way in hell they will replace that scoring,we will have to place solid 2way hockey,in all 3 zones , to make up for the loss,not impossible to do...ow and it wouldnt hurt if the netminding stood on its head when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by coasttocoast View Post
                  Thanks for reminding me why I was so pessimistic before!

Let's look at the glass half full. If you put me on the first PP unit I would be in the top 10 in scoring. PP unit 1 & 2 are all gone, except Herlihey. Given Unit 1 opportunity, Huffnagle, Zizek, Scorpio Herlihey & any sharp shooting new recruit will be able to put up good numbers. But, as you have suggested, no way are we going to have as much offense as last year, especially replacing Johnson offense from the back end. That group of seniors were outstanding.
                  If Brun can play healthy when we need him (SunyAC playoffs) then our D should be very good, that leaves #1 question, can our goaltending be improved. I'm hoping Richer is a big upgrade, if he is, my glass will be full.
                  So, yes I guess this is my long way of agreeing with you.
                  I think we will have to play a little more bump and grind this year in comparison to the past few yrs with killer scoring,I have no doubt the dmen can handle it and the goalies will have to step up as the huge numbers on the offensive side may not be there,should be fun to watch...also special teams will make a huge difference,as well as staying out of the box..

Comment

Oswego sports website has a write up of all the new faces,10 in all which makes for a total of 27 players..3 netminders 8 dmen and 16 forwards should make for good competition with a very young team.

Comment

Should we start a new thread for this year? Rebuilding or Reloaded?

Story Links
                      OSWEGO, N.Y. -- The Oswego State men's ice hockey team has added 10 new players to its roster for the 2017-18 season. The Lakers welcome six new forwards to the team — Jesse Farabee, Tommy Horn, A.J. D'Orazio, Tanner Spink, Joey Molinaro, and Mike Gillespie. The team has also added defensemen Max Novick, Carter Allen, and Tyler Currie and goalie David Richer. Of the 10 new additions, six are incoming freshmen, three are transfers and one is a redshirt sophomore.

Oswego State finished 21-6-1 overall last season. In the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Championship title game at Marano Campus Center, the Lakers lost 3-2 to rival Plattsburgh. The Lakers earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Division III Championship and hosted Hamilton College in the opening round, falling 3-1 to the Continentals.

Horn comes to Oswego State as a freshman from the Johnstown Tomahawks of the North American Hockey League (NAHL). In 2015-16, Horn played 48 games, scoring 27 points on 11 goals and 16 assists. This past season, Horn was an assistant captain for Johnstown, scoring nine goals and assisting on another 16 in 39 games.

D'Orazio joins the Lakers from the St. Michael's Buzzers of the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL). D'Orazio played 191 career games for the Buzzers. In 2015-16, he scored 55 points (17 goals, 38 assists) in 54 games, and in 2016-17, he scored 71 points (30-41) in 52 games. That total ranked seventh in the league. He also was the captain of St. Michael's for his final season.

Farabee will be suiting up for the Lakers just 28 miles from his hometown of Cicero. Farabee spent time in both the NAHL and the U.S. Premier Hockey League (USPHL) the past two seasons. He spent time with the New Jersey Hitmen of the USPHL. He then played for the Minnesota Wilderness of the NAHL, scoring 34 points (15-19) in 46 games.

Spink joins the Lakers after playing more than 300 games with the Cornwall Colts of the Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL). Spink scored 195 points in his time in Cornwall, highlighted by his past two seasons. Scoring 56 and 53 points in 2015-16 and 2016-17, respectively, Spink has finished within the top-20 in scoring in the CCHL the past two seasons.

Defenseman Allen will suit up for the Green and Gold after two seasons with the Wellington Dukes of the OJHL. He played for Wellington after being promoted from the Junior B league to Junior A ranks. Allen, an assistant captain this past season, scored four goals and assisted on another 24 in 105 regular season games with the Dukes.

Novick will also spend time on the blue line for the Lakers. The defenseman played for the Stouffville Spirit of the OJHL. He tied for the sixth-most points in the league for that position. Novick led all defenseman in power-play assists and was fourth in power-play goals among defensemen.

Gillespie joins the Lakers as a sophomore after time spent in Division I with Ohio State University and in the United States Hockey League (USHL). After scoring 34 points (18-16) in 59 games with the Lincoln Stars of the USHL in 2014-15, Gillespie suited up in eight games for the Buckeyes, scoring one goal. Gillespie is the second Buckeyes transfer to join the Lakers in program history.

Transfer Molinaro joins Oswego State from D-I Niagara University. Molinaro becomes the fourth Laker to come in from Niagara since 2011. Molinaro tore up the OJHL in 2014-15, scoring 67 points (25-42) in 53 games before playing in the NAHL for the Amarillo Bulls. Last year for Niagara, Molinaro played in 30 contests, assisting on three goals.

Currie joins the Lakers from D-III Adrian College. Currie played 16 games for the Bulldogs last year, aiding them in their run to the Final Four, scoring one goal and assisting on six more. Currie was successful before college in the OJHL where he scored 103 points (22-81) in 196 games for three different teams.

Richer joins the Lakers after sitting out his freshman year. Richer lost a year of eligibility after spending time with the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Richer spent the 2014-15 season with the Gloucester Rangers of the Central Canadian Hockey League, where he played 41 games. In 2015-16, he played with the Kingston Voyageurs of the OJHL. Richer went 22-9-1 and tied for the league lead in shutouts with five.

Oswego State will open the season at 7 p.m. on Oct. 21 as it hosts the CCHL All-Graduate Team in an exhibition game. The regular season begins the following Saturday with a home tilt against Elmira College.

@OswegoAthletics | FB: Oswego Athletics | IG: oswegoathletics

Comment

I will defer to Lou as he is the title starter

Comment

[QUOTE=OZrebel;6523322]Should we start a new thread for this year? Rebuilding or Reloaded?

Reloaded!

Comment

Working...
                          X