This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVII: The REAL Football

I watched the first several minutes of MEX-HON which I believe was in Mexico and the stadium looked at best half full.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I watched the first several minutes of MEX-HON which I believe was in Mexico and the stadium looked at best half full.
      I think you're being generous...I was amazed at how empty it was? I wonder if the USA match sunday had anything to do with it?
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I think you're being generous...I was amazed at how empty it was? I wonder if the USA match sunday had anything to do with it?
        Does anybody else in the Hex care about anybody else, or is the whole thing just a cardboard movie backdrop for the US-MEX argle bargle?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Does anybody else in the Hex care about anybody else, or is the whole thing just a cardboard movie backdrop for the US-MEX argle bargle?
          I always assumed El Tri fans would be rabid enough to fill up no matter what for a competitive game, and the US (while admittedly playing in a much smaller stadium) had nary an empty seat against a much smaller opponent in T&T rather than HON.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Speaking of, this will likely be the last USA-Mex qualifier for the foreseeable future. With expansion, the hexagonal will have to end, and there's almost no way the US and Mexico get paired off in a multi group setting.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Speaking of, this will likely be the last USA-Mex qualifier for the foreseeable future. With expansion, the hexagonal will have to end, and there's almost no way the US and Mexico get paired off in a multi group setting.
              I would guess that CONCACAF would do their best to whittle down to 10 or 12 and then have one big group similar to COMEBOL...Is there a reason that CONCACAF does not play qualifiers in the October international window? If you used the first 3 rounds of CONCACAF qualifying to whittle down to 10, you should have enough time starting in October/November the year after a world cup to do a 10-team double round robin to qualify.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Round 1: 26-30 vs 31-35 best of Home & Home, March 2019 (2 games)
                Round 2: 11-20 vs 21-25 & 26-35 winners best of Home & Home, June 2019 (2 games)
                Round 3: 1-10 vs 11-35 winners best of Home & Home, August/Sept 2019 (2 games)
                Round 4: 10 team table October/November 2019 through October 2021 (18 games)
                You would be adding two games and eliminating a round...you could probably eliminate 2 rounds if you really want to, but I'm not sure we want anyone to have a direct pass to the final 10 or to eliminate more teams in round 1...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  I always assumed El Tri fans would be rabid enough to fill up no matter what for a competitive game, and the US (while admittedly playing in a much smaller stadium) had nary an empty seat against a much smaller opponent in T&T rather than HON.
                  Nope, high ticket prices and the FMF generally ignoring Mexico proper for games with the exception of WCQ's have been killing attendance for years.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I would guess that CONCACAF would do their best to whittle down to 10 or 12 and then have one big group similar to COMEBOL...Is there a reason that CONCACAF does not play qualifiers in the October international window? If you used the first 3 rounds of CONCACAF qualifying to whittle down to 10, you should have enough time starting in October/November the year after a world cup to do a 10-team double round robin to qualify.
                    Hurricanes and football?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Too bad the game isn't tonight. Bit of a sports void.

Last time we played as Azteca, wasn't it only 75% filled?
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

A point in Azteca is worth so much more than a point.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          A point in Azteca is worth so much more than a point.
                          Those Mexican kits are sweet. But ours are, atypically, not stomach churning. Baby steps.

I had no idea Bruce Arena looks like the lovechild of Carl Sagan and Gene Rayburn.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 06-12-2017, 11:02 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Those Mexican kits are sweet. But ours are, atypically, not stomach churning. Baby steps.

I had no idea Bruce Arena looks like the lovechild of Carl Sagan and Gene Rayburn.
                            Yeah, I understand commercially why we can't seem to settle on a design but it'd be nice if US Soccer could pick one jerseys that doesn't really change while the rest get tweaked...There is nothing about our jerseys that tells someone else that USA is playing if you just turn on a game and the graphics were not working...

Comment

Yeah, I understand commercially why we can't seem to settle on a design but it'd be nice if US Soccer could pick one jerseys that doesn't really change while the rest get tweaked...There is nothing about our jerseys that tells someone else that USA is playing if you just turn on a game and the graphics were not working...
                              We also need something as simple, clean and instantly recognizable as this.

My first recommendation would be The Lady Herself, but the Rags may have ruined that forever.

I'd actually love an absolutely clean, iconic minimalist drawing of this, my favorite moment in American history for everything it says about who we are.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 06-12-2017, 11:21 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                We also need something as simple, clean and instantly recognizable as this.

My first recommendation would be The Lady Herself, but the Rags may have ruined that forever.

I'd actually love an absolutely clean, iconic minimalist drawing of this, my favorite moment in American history for everything it says about who we are.
                                This, just this. It was recognizable and unique.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X