Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Hockey Administrators to western fans: Drop Dead

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Humourously Lowell and BU could bid for their home arena's to host, as neither is legally "on campus"
    Agganis is absolutely on BU's campus. It's surrounded by two BU dorms and BU's fitness facility. That said, it's not about whether the site is on the campus, it has to do with how many "home games" are played at the facility during the regular season that determines whether a rink considered a team's home rink for the purposes of NCAA tournament play. In basketball, Villanova got around this when the East regional was held in Philly at the Flyers/76ers arena (where VU usually plays 5-6 home games per year) by only scheduling three home games that season, below the NCAA's threshold, and were able to play in that region. They went back to scheduling 5-6 games there the following year. Dumb setup.

I agree this regional problem would be fixed by going on campus, but I do not agree the NCAA is simply catering to the eastern teams. If there aren't bids out west, absent making the rule changes we're advocating, they go with the sites they have.
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 04-18-2017, 02:25 PM.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      Duluth doesn't play on campus, but the DECC is their home rink and home rinks are not preferred.
      I'd almost ask that at this point "home" rinks should be allowed but possibly with caveat that the normal home team couldn't host.

The idea you can't find a venue in minnesota is nutty-nuts
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        I'd almost ask that at this point "home" rinks should be allowed but possibly with caveat that the normal home team couldn't host.

The idea you can't find a venue in minnesota is nutty-nuts
        So Bemidji State bids to host at the DECC (UMD) or NHC (SCSU) or REA (UND)?
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          Agganis is absolutely on BU's campus. It's surrounded by two BU dorms and BU's fitness facility.
          My understanding was it was not, cited as the reason you were still allowed to serve alcohol. I've been to Agganis ~10 times, I am aware of where it is.
          BS UMass Lowell 2015
          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

My understanding was it was not, cited as the reason you were still allowed to serve alcohol. I've been to Agganis ~10 times, I am aware of where it is.
            100% on campus and owned by the university. I have no idea how they got an alcohol license.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Sioux Falls is an interesting site. Both Mankato and St. Cloud are closer to Sioux Falls than Grand Forks is. If it works as a site, perhaps there could be a different host school in future years.

And it's a nice new building.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                Sioux Falls is an interesting site. Both Mankato and St. Cloud are closer to Sioux Falls than Grand Forks is. If it works as a site, perhaps there could be a different host school in future years.

Something tells me the only reason the NCAA signed on to a 10K arena in the middle of South Dakota is the guarantee of North Dakota fans filling it up.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

Perhaps. However, North Dakota has the advantage of likely being able to sell out all available tickets to its champions club and guaranteeing a successful (at least monetarily) regional well in advance of the NCAA Tournament. If there is no guarantee that North Dakota is going to Sioux Falls, I doubt that the regional would sell out unless the right group of teams were placed in the regional. Plus, Chris Semrau (Assistant G.M. at the Sanford Center in Sioux Falls) is the former events director at the Ralph and has many connections with UND.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Being able to serve alcohol has zero to do with whether it is on campus or not.

Comment

About a year ago, I asked rhetorically if the East should handle all 4 regionals. A small part of me was serious, in that would be one way to make the currently arrangement actually work -- meaning 4 neutral sites that can attract a critical mass of fans. But mostly I was hoping to get widespread agreement that such a thing would be inherently unfair. Simply unthinkable.

Well, we're now half way to the "unthinkable" solution. And when people get sick of traveling to the Dakotas and giving UND a "home state" advantage every year...

Next Point: For those claiming that the only problem is that Westerners are refusing to bid: Please just stop. Bids aren't coming because responsible planners are refusing to get on a sinking ship. Instructing people to act like lemmings is no answer at all.

More soon.

Comment

100% on campus and owned by the university. I have no idea how they got an alcohol license.
                        REA is on UND owned land; but, UND is a dry campus by state law.
                        Special exception had to be given by the State under the lease agreement that allows the building on state lands.

(UND doesn't take full ownership of the building until like 2030 or so.)
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          Being able to serve alcohol has zero to do with whether it is on campus or not.
                          Yup.
                          The NCAA requires the teetotalism at their events.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Something tells me the only reason the NCAA signed on to a 10K arena in the middle of South Dakota is the guarantee of North Dakota fans filling it up.
                            Check your map. Pierre is in the middle; Sioux Falls is closer to IA, MN, and NE than it is to ND.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Si...!4d-96.7311034

Food for thought:
                            UND (host) to "Hawks" Falls -- 320 miles
                            Allentown (Midwest Regional) to Worcester (NE Regional) -- 275 miles, and Bridgeport (East) is on the road in between.
                            Last edited by The Sicatoka; 04-18-2017, 02:54 PM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

How could the NCAA allow to have it at SIOUX Falls?
                              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Yup.
                                The NCAA requires the teetotalism at their events.
                                Well that's true but different conversation. Hawk's thinking was that Agganis wasn't considered on campus at BU because they have a liquor license. It's irrelevant.

-- but yeah, they require teetotalism but sell alcohol outside the arena for 5 hours before the game starts at Frozen Fest. Hypocrites.

Comment

Working...
                                X