X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

This St. Cloud feed SUCKS!
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Solid 6-0 win....here's my observations after seeing 2 periods out of 3 due to technical difficulties.....I missed most of the first period. SOG 34-16.

Never seemed like the Pankowski line got going, though they had 10 sog. Pankowski only had 2, Clark 3, Shaver 5. Kinda disappointed in that line's performance seeing as they were the only line in tact from last year.

Roque is one great player, speed, vision and a hockey IQ of 200. What a beautiful backhanded pass from behind the goal to Wellhausen on her 2nd goal. That line looked really good. That line had Shaver 2, Roque 1 and Wellhausen 4, so only 7 shots, but they seemed to create a lot of chances.

Norby didn't really make an impression playing with Nurse and McKibbon. Sog 5/5/1 for Norby.

Didn't see a lot of the 4th line, but Mauermann was on the pk with McKibbon one time and on a couple other shifts she showed some wheels. They did get bottled up once in the 3rd period in the D zone. I think she's kinda mismatched on the 4th line, but this year that's the talent pool she has to play with.

The last half of the 3rd period MJ was mashing lines together.

ARD had a big back door save in the 3rd to preserve the shut out.

None of the D jumped out in a bad way, which is great, though someone fell asleep on the big save.

Overall a very good game for the first game, UW controlled play and played very well in the D zone. The line chemistry will come together as time goes on. I don't think there's any reason to shuffles the lines at this point, but I sure would like to see the Shaver/Roque/Wellhausen line stay intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        ...The other lines were as predicted by robertearle.
        Not me, I'm not that smart. RangersRule is, though. :-)

Comment

Didn't get home in time to try and tune into the stream, which I'm happy to hear was very crappy.

Glad to see how well the game went and really looking forward to hearing some actual UW radio broadcasts of the games.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Solid 6-0 win....here's my observations after seeing 2 periods out of 3 due to technical difficulties.....I missed most of the first period. SOG 34-16.

Never seemed like the Pankowski line got going, though they had 10 sog. Pankowski only had 2, Clark 3, Shaver 5. Kinda disappointed in that line's performance seeing as they were the only line in tact from last year.

Roque is one great player, speed, vision and a hockey IQ of 200. What a beautiful backhanded pass from behind the goal to Wellhausen on her 2nd goal. That line looked really good. That line had Shaver 2, Roque 1 and Wellhausen 4, so only 7 shots, but they seemed to create a lot of chances.

Norby didn't really make an impression playing with Nurse and McKibbon. Sog 5/5/1 for Norby.

Didn't see a lot of the 4th line, but Mauermann was on the pk with McKibbon one time and on a couple other shifts she showed some wheels. They did get bottled up once in the 3rd period in the D zone. I think she's kinda mismatched on the 4th line, but this year that's the talent pool she has to play with.

The last half of the 3rd period MJ was mashing lines together.

ARD had a big back door save in the 3rd to preserve the shut out.

None of the D jumped out in a bad way, which is great, though someone fell asleep on the big save.

Overall a very good game for the first game, UW controlled play and played very well in the D zone. The line chemistry will come together as time goes on. I don't think there's any reason to shuffles the lines at this point, but I sure would like to see the Shaver/Roque/Wellhausen line stay intact.
            Nice breakdown on the game. I'm not a fan of paid internet streams and doesn't sound like it went well. So I'm glad that I took a pass on it.

It's a nice problem to have when the top line gets shutout and still win 6-0. Something tells me they will get back on track in short order. Wellhaussen/Roque/Shaver is an incredibly intriguing 3rd line. Can not wait to see them in person. Also, congrats to Desbiens for tying Vetter's career shutout record.

Also like the new UA jerseys from what I've seen. They kept the main design with seemingly a few tweaks. Glad they kept the large Motion W on the front as their main jerseys, though I'm guessing they'll be breaking out some potentially interesting alternate jerseys.

Anyway, let's go get that sweep today.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
              Didn't get home in time to try and tune into the stream, which I'm happy to hear was very crappy.
              Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
              Nice breakdown on the game. I'm not a fan of paid internet streams and doesn't sound like it went well. So I'm glad that I took a pass on it. .
              My experiences with pd internet viewing have been bad as well, and I typically don't do it, but I just had the see the team in action. Had they already played a home series, I would have followed on Twitter.

Let's go RED!

Comment

Badgers down 2-1 to start the 3rd. Not ideal. 4-1 ratio shot advantage for Wisconsin, but still down 1.
                Last edited by Badger Booster; 09-24-2016, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                  Badgers down 2-1 to start the 3rd. Not ideal. 4-1 ratio shot advantage for Wisconsin, but still down 1.
                  Came back to win 4-2. Nice win for them!
                  Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    Came back to win 4-2. Nice win for them!
                    It's interesting following games on-line and not watching it (twitter/blog/live stats). I got frustrated seeing (not literally) shot after shot being saved early in the 3rd, so I just took the dog out for a walk. I was pleasantly relieved to see that Badgers came back for the win. St. Cloud often plays Wisconsin close (and beat them at LaBahn 2 years ago). Now they get 2 weeks prior to home opener against Ohio State.

Comment

A nice gut check win, with a Sr. D getting the equalizer and the top line winning and icing the game. Great to see a larger shot disparity than Friday, 56-13 too.

Looking at the number of shots, 1st line 13 (Pankowski only 2), 2nd line 15 (Norby bouncing back with 6), 3rd line 15 (Roque only 1, she's in the mix setting up her linemates for 7 each), 4th line had 1, obviously the big dogs had to log a lot of minutes in a super tight game.

UW was out face-offed 28-30, Friday they were also out face-offed 19-23. Clark is struggling in the circle, Friday she was 5-10 and Saturday she was better at 10-12, so that may be why the first line is struggling a bit, especially Friday.

A very good start to the year, now they get a week off before OSU comes to town and we can see the team in person. The first game of the year is only bettered by the last game of the year in terms of excitement.

Comment

I'm very behind in getting on the forums and instead of quoting a bunch of different posts, I'll do my best to answer the stuff I remember seeing.

While the schools do have SOME leeway in their schedules, what whky doesn't have control over is what's happening with men's basketball and men's hockey - both of those revenue sports get their pick of times/dates before the women do. For the Minnesota weekend, they're waiting for the men's bball schedule to fill out before they can figure out when they'll play. In this case, the men's bball team is hosting Oklahoma, which is a rare matchup. So we're probably waiting for tv to decide when they want that game to be.

As was mentioned, the way I understand it is that nothing can be happening simultaneously at Kohl and LaBahn. Parking/traffic/flow of people is one of those reasons, but the other is that much of the staff is the same for the two buildings.

IF the Minnesota game ends up being Friday afternoon, which I can assure you is not something UW wants, it would be one of maybe two Friday afternoon games all season. Over the past few seasons UW has managed to do fewer and fewer Friday afternoon games. They should get credit for making that a priority.

Because of those Canada/USA camps, this week was the first time all the girls were on the ice together. IIRC, that was Tuesday, in fact. The team also started a week earlier than in year's past. I wouldn't put too much credence in what lines did or did not do on the ice.

I'm not sure which goalie will secure the 2 spot, but in talking to Baldwin and having her teammates "scout" her, she is a very aggressive goalie and uses that to help offset how small she is. My prediction is that she'll learn a lot behind ARD this season - you'll remember that ARD was very aggressive outside the crease and seems to have found a happy medium and I think Baldwin will benefit.

I hope to have freshman intro pieces up on B5Q this week.
                        It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

I did talk to Jason King a few years ago about the Friday afternoon games he he did assure me that those games are not good for fans and they have indeed reduced the number of them over the years. It's just so bad to have the marquee matchup get messed up like this. It reduces the home ice advantage for sure.

I sure hope the band has a lot of games on the schedule. They finished strong last year.

Comment

UW was out face-offed 28-30, Friday they were also out face-offed 19-23. Clark is struggling in the circle, Friday she was 5-10 and Saturday she was better at 10-12, so that may be why the first line is struggling a bit, especially Friday.
                            My first year watching women's hockey was 2010-11. By the end of the regular season, I was telling people that I have never seen a great hockey team that was as bad on face-offs as Wisconsin was. That hasn't really changed much over the ensuing years. It's just something the Badgers aren't good at.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              My first year watching women's hockey was 2010-11. By the end of the regular season, I was telling people that I have never seen a great hockey team that was as bad on face-offs as Wisconsin was. That hasn't really changed much over the ensuing years. It's just something the Badgers aren't good at.
                              Thanks for the positive news. It's hard to believe a guy as smart as MJ wouldn't value puck possession highly. I may have to do some research on this if I can find any stats to go back on and look. It's a big pool of info, perhaps I'll just look at the rodent and sue games as those are the ones where gaining possession on faceoffs is the most crucial.

Comment

Thanks for the positive news. It's hard to believe a guy as smart as MJ wouldn't value puck possession highly. I may have to do some research on this if I can find any stats to go back on and look. It's a big pool of info, perhaps I'll just look at the rodent and sue games as those are the ones where gaining possession on faceoffs is the most crucial.
                                Sometimes I wonder if they're losing offensive zone face-offs on purpose so they can set up that forecheck.

Comment

Working...
                                X