2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Not almost, the winner of the Colonial Hockey Conference IS going to NCAA’s with an AQ bid. It will likely be Endicott or Morrisville but maybe Stevenson gets in there and upsets.
    I thought they had 1 more year before they got an AQ. As the kids say: my bad!

Comment

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Elmira is suddenly in Pool B this year. How does that shake things up (if at all)?
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
        Elmira is suddenly in Pool B this year. How does that shake things up (if at all)?
        It means UWRF gets a Pool C bid instead of B this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
          Isn't there an 'access ratio' that is determined by the number of teams in Pool B relative to the DIII women's pool? There appear to be 17 teams in play not in auto bid conferences and a total of 62 programs, so there may be 2 spots allocated to Pool B.
          I am sure someone with tighter command of the NCAA regs can set us straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
            Look at the sheets.....the numbers support the rankings.....(this time)
            LOL...Conn beats Ammy twice head to head...and gets ranked lower. typical.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
              Isn't there an 'access ratio' that is determined by the number of teams in Pool B relative to the DIII women's pool? There appear to be 17 teams in play not in auto bid conferences and a total of 62 programs, so there may be 2 spots allocated to Pool B.
              I am sure someone with tighter command of the NCAA regs can set us straight.
              I have a pretty good command of the published information. The access ratio is 6.5 teams per championship bids in the NCAA tournament. There are 62 programs. 62/6.5 = 9.54. That's how we ended up with 9 bids. I think we get 10 bids next year as we add Nazareth, Suffolk and Wilkes which brings it to 65 which gives an exact 10 (unless they for some reason delay the 10th bid to the 2020 tourney).

As for how many bids for each pool, the NCAA has published a document laying out the conferences, which are Pool A, which are Pool B and at the bottom includes how many bids of each pool there are: 6 bids for Pool A conferences, 1 bid for the two Pool B conferences and 2 Pool C bids that are at-large.

Comment

• Has anyone else throughout the season noticed the difference in online video/audio broadcasts at D3 schools that have both men's and women's hockey? You can tune into a women's afternoon game and have video with no play-by-play person and sometimes not even the ambient sounds of the rink itself while the game is going on. Tune into the same school's evening men's game and you find it has both a play-by-play guy and a color commentator and sometimes (but not very often) a third person down at rinkside! It has been very rare that I have tuned in for a men's game and found no broadcasters of any kind, and definitely not just video without any ambient rink sounds. I've become quite bothered by the clear differences and general inequity between the online broadcasts of the same sport but simply two different genders at the same school. This is a sign that these schools obviously don't view and treat men's and women's hockey the same. I've never come across those broadcast differences at certain schools that are known as being very supportive of both of their hockey programs regardless of gender. For example, Norwich, Plattsburgh, Elmira, Middlebury, etc. Those are also some of the most successful women's D3 programs in the country every year. Coincidence? I think not!

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                  LOL...Conn beats Ammy twice head to head...and gets ranked lower. typical.
                  Only two criteria were used this week.....W/L percentage and SOS

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    Has anyone else throughout the season noticed the difference in online video/audio broadcasts at D3 schools that have both men's and women's hockey? You can tune into a women's afternoon game and have video with no play-by-play person and sometimes not even the ambient sounds of the rink itself while the game is going on. Tune into the same school's evening men's game and you find it has both a play-by-play guy and a color commentator and sometimes (but not very often) a third person down at rinkside! It has been very rare that I have tuned in for a men's game and found no broadcasters of any kind, and definitely not just video without any ambient rink sounds. I've become quite bothered by the clear differences and general inequity between the online broadcasts of the same sport but simply two different genders at the same school. This is a sign that these schools obviously don't view and treat men's and women's hockey the same. I've never come across those broadcast differences at certain schools that are known as being very supportive of both of their hockey programs regardless of gender. For example, Norwich, Plattsburgh, Elmira, Middlebury, etc. Those are also some of the most successful women's D3 programs in the country every year. Coincidence? I think not!
                    That’s an interesting point. I know Castleton uses the same play by play duo for the men’s and women’s games so no issue there and Plymouth has a pretty good tandem calling the women’s games.
                    What I’ve also noticed is the variance in video quality from school to school.

Comment

Assuming two of Plattsburgh, Norwich, and GAC win their conference tourneys... A comparison with UWRF and Middlebury would be pretty close right now too. There is definitely a path for UWRF to not make the tourney...

Oh, and for as bad as Plattsburgh's conference schedule is, they still have the number one overall SOS in the country according to the NCAA stat sheets...
                      Steve
                      Penn State Class of '95
                      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                        Assuming two of Plattsburgh, Norwich, and GAC win their conference tourneys... A comparison with UWRF and Middlebury would be pretty close right now too. There is definitely a path for UWRF to not make the tourney...

Oh, and for as bad as Plattsburgh's conference schedule is, they still have the number one overall SOS in the country according to the NCAA stat sheets...
                        Great OOC and the NEWHL teams have done decently out of conference vs. UCHC, Colonial and NEHC teams. Which is not surprising. The NEWHL programs have been around a lot longer than the Colonial teams and most of the NEHC teams.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          Has anyone else throughout the season noticed the difference in online video/audio broadcasts at D3 schools that have both men's and women's hockey? You can tune into a women's afternoon game and have video with no play-by-play person and sometimes not even the ambient sounds of the rink itself while the game is going on. Tune into the same school's evening men's game and you find it has both a play-by-play guy and a color commentator and sometimes (but not very often) a third person down at rinkside! It has been very rare that I have tuned in for a men's game and found no broadcasters of any kind, and definitely not just video without any ambient rink sounds. I've become quite bothered by the clear differences and general inequity between the online broadcasts of the same sport but simply two different genders at the same school. This is a sign that these schools obviously don't view and treat men's and women's hockey the same. I've never come across those broadcast differences at certain schools that are known as being very supportive of both of their hockey programs regardless of gender. For example, Norwich, Plattsburgh, Elmira, Middlebury, etc. Those are also some of the most successful women's D3 programs in the country every year. Coincidence? I think not!
                          Many times, the audio is simply a simulcast of whatever radio station is broadcasting the game. So, if no radio station is broadcasting the game, no audio. Sometimes the radio station is the school station, sometimes a local commercial station (like at Potsdam). So, money plays a role. If the local commercial radio station doesn't want to put up the money to cover the women's game, it's not going to happen. The video feeds are supplied by the school, so that part is not affected.

But even the school radio stations sometimes don't have the money. A few years back at Buffalo State, the women's hockey coach complained under Title IX the school radio station was not covering the women's game, only the men's games. The radio station said they didn't have the funds to also cover the women, and if you forced us to cover the women, we'll simply have to stop covering all hockey games. They eventually came to some kind of compromise.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I think we get 10 bids next year as we add Nazareth, Suffolk and Wilkes which brings it to 65 which gives an exact 10 (unless they for some reason delay the 10th bid to the 2020 tourney).
                            Also Anna Maria College is adding a program next year. Mike Cox has been hired to lead the inaugural season.

Comment

And expand the bracket to 10, but temperance is still in vogue.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...?sf182230364=1
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                And expand the bracket to 10, but temperance is still in vogue.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...?sf182230364=1
                                One thing I’m not clear on: it seems to indicate they would change the format by going to 10 teams. Did I read that right?

Comment

Working...
                                X