Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.16 - If Never Forgotten, One Would ALWAYS Remember Something.

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    3) For Dems, I completely disagree with dropping reproductive rights as a campaign issue.
    You're "disagreeing" with nobody because nobody suggested that. The suggestion is that Democrats continue to actively promote reproductive rights and push pro-choice candidates HARD, but they don't slam the door against anti-choice votes and candidates. We don't cater to the latter but we welcome them and don't say "if you aren't pro-choice you are teh devil get thee behind me!" The latter is what the social liberal wing has been doing ever since we took over academia, and while it's perfect for the ethos of the liberal conveyor belt it is poison to half the country -- the half we need to make inroads into in order to win elections so we can protect reproductive rights.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-11-2017, 10:24 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      This. There is no such thing as an actual Independent, it's just a label for people who eschew labels. But they're just as partisan and locked in as the party members.
      This is me, totally. I would refer to myself as an "independent" because I did not want to be labeled. I still don't consider myself a democrat though because I think that title should be confined to someone who is actually a member of their party. I now "label" myself as a progressive. I once went back and tried to remember my voting records and at one point in my 30s I voted about 2/3 D and about 1/3 R. A few of those votes were cast for republicans runnning unopposed, but eventually I stopped voting in general elections for people who were running unopposed. I will also say the last republican I voted for was in the 2000 Michigan presidential primary when I voted for McCain. I have not given a single republican a vote in the 21st century, and my guess is I never will again.

But I'm still not a democrat.

Comment

Translation: "The generals told me we have a plan; I trust them - haven't read it! Now, you said my ball went out of bounds? Yeah, don't count that shot."

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          I've never understood how real R voters can stand by their party worry so much about the deficit and debt, when their party has been the one who built that up via their votes over the decades. It's always- increase military spending, cut other funding not equally, and then cut taxes. When was the last actual balanced budget that R's have come out with? President Clinton at least has a surplus by the time he was done.
          Our dilemma. They campaign on X and once they get to DC, Do The opposite. After a brief period of hope that they would see the errors of their ways, we turn on them and let them get voted out of office either by voting for somebody else in the primary or staying away in the general.

It's all very frustrating. Maybe if we had somebody in the leadership who believed in what the GOP campaigned on, things would be better.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Abortion is here to stay. Period
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Getting rid of the mortgage interest deduction would be instant and total suicide. Nobody who voted for that would survive re-election.
              One of the biggest subsidies in the tax code.

I prefer counting it all, everyone files single and gets $45,000 off the top as the standard exclusion. Pay a % (15 & 20%) on the rest.

Corporations use GAAP and have a $1 million exclusion and pay 15% on the excess.

The middle class pays a bit. LeBron pays a lot, Bill Gates pays more. Sears pays nothing.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Abortion is here to stay. Period
                Unfortunately, given the current political and social climate, yes. However, nothing is set in concrete and I pray that one day attitudes will change.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  One of the biggest subsidies in the tax code.

I prefer counting it all, everyone files single and gets $45,000 off the top as the standard exclusion. Pay a % (15 & 20%) on the rest.

Corporations use GAAP and have a $1 million exclusion and pay 15% on the excess.

The middle class pays a bit. LeBron pays a lot, Bill Gates pays more. Sears pays nothing.
                  Meanwhile you're running a huge deficit because you just lowered taxes on the LeBrons and Gateses of the world by 1/3rd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Getting rid of the mortgage interest deduction would be instant and total suicide. Nobody who voted for that would survive re-election.
                    Do many of the super rich actually have mortgages? I know a lot of people from 90-99 do but what about that top one percent? I actually think getting rid of it would do a lot of good for the country overall. The deduction is an incentive to borrow more than they should and buy more house than they would otherwise. It is also behind some of the crazy housing prices in certain areas.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      Do many of the super rich actually have mortgages? I know a lot of people from 90-99 do but what about that top one percent? I actually think getting rid of it would do a lot of good for the country overall. The deduction is an incentive to borrow more than they should and buy more house than they would otherwise. It is also behind some of the crazy housing prices in certain areas.
                      A 20-year gradual phase out would be good. An instantaneous change would cause the great recession 2: electric bugaboo.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Unfortunately, given the current political and social climate, yes. However, nothing is set in concrete and I pray that one day attitudes will change.
                        Until we have a society that values life from conception through birth until a natural (even if unforeseen) death, pro-life people are too often some of the biggest hypocrites walking the face of the Earth. In fact the movement shamefully has referred itself as the "pro-LIFE" movement when it is basically nothing but a pro-BIRTH movement. Given their way, ALL support before and after the moment of birth would be done away with. Sheesh, they talk about the moment of conception being the important demarcation in time, when it is really the moment of birth.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Current Democratic Party positions reduce the number of abortions far more than current Republican positions. Facts are facts.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            The deduction is an incentive to borrow more than they should and buy more house than they would otherwise. It is also behind some of the crazy housing prices in certain areas.
                            Is the empirical evidence to suggest this? I ask because I do not know. It seems that buying more house than you can afford is a more recent occurrence and and the affordability of housing can be tied to a lot more than just a mortgage interest deduction. Was housing out of the reach of most people in our urban areas in 1960 or 1970? You could deduct your interest then, too.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

He's insane. Any plan kills 10 million innocent people in South Korea alone in the first week.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I remember the days when you saved your money and bought within your means... of course now, there's insane borrowing and running up of debts...

Comment

Working...
                                X